3DCoat Forums

How to view per vertex color on imported ply file

bellscotcv

• Reputable Contributor

Voxel Room

Voxel Mode / Merge tool, check import without voxelizing. This will merge the Ply file with the vertex colors. Your model will be placed in Surface mode. Tested and this method works.

Another way is from the New Menu choose "Paint over Model's Vertices" Your model will be placed in Surface mode. Tested and this method works.

Voxel mode can not show vertex colors only surface mode. Surface mode is true surface polygons and is not voxel based.

For your information:

In the Vox Tree Layer's tab, there is a "V" Icon. That means you are in voxel mode. Clicking on the "V" icon will switch you to Surface mode and the "V" will be replaced with a "S" icon

Important, Read the below

I have found this bug, if you are in surface mode and use the merge tool from surface mode, the vertex colors are not imported. That will be a mantis report if it is still there next week after I check the new version 4.0.05 for Linux when released in the next few days.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your first suggestion and it kept coming in without color. I found the V and S switch and was able to toggle back and forth and still no color.

I was able to follow your second suggestion, but again no luck.

The color for my object shows up just fine in meshlab. Can I send you my file as an attachment to see if my file also works for you to an e-mail address?

I tired to attach it to this post but it said the file was too big.

Thanks again for your continued help.

-Scott

• Reputable Contributor

The Ply model is not loading with vertex colors into 3DCoat.

I tested the model in Blender as well and the vertex colors loaded correctly when I applied them to the mesh.

3DCoat also will see vertex colors in an obj file. If Meshmixer supports exporting obj files with vertex color. You could test that as well. Meshmixer is on my other machine which is down due to some problems so I can not test FBX or wrl files...

I would send an e-mail to support with the link for the Ply file and a link to this thread. This appears to be a bug, I'm sure Andrew would want to fix it soon.

• Reputable Contributor

So I tried your suggestion and converted to a color obj file an still no luck. Could this be a bug in the 3D Coat?

P.S. Everything with color shows up fine for me in both Meshmixer and Meshlab.

I would first inspect the file you export in the very same app that you used to create the model you are sending to 3D Coat. Start with a fresh scene and import the file. If it does indeed have color, then there is something wrong on 3D Coat's end. If it does not have any color, then naturally something didn't work when you initially exported the file.

I know that if you have a UV mapped model with texture maps assigned to it > export as an obj file...if those associated texture map files are in the same directory as the obj file itself (should be placed there, by default)....when you import into the Voxel Room, you should see the color from those files baked into the vertices. This means that if the obj model has a relatively low poly count, there are too few vertices to get an accurate baking result. But if it's relatively Dense, then the color representation should be dramatically better.

I don't work with PLY files, but Andrew did say that it was preferable to use PLY format for importing a file with Vertex Color. He said it uses 16bit rather than OBJ's 8bit. I'm thinking maybe you have a special shader on the model in your original app and it's not storing the color on export. It would be the same in 3ds Max....I'm pretty sure. If I stored vertex color in the color channel of a VRay or Mental Ray Shader, it probably will not export that color information correctly. I will need to use a STANDARD shader for it to work.

• Reputable Contributor

I think I found the problem. The Ply file from Meshmixer is Ascii or in other words a text file. 3DCoat exports what appears to be binary Ply files which leaves me to believe it can only read the vertex colors in binary Ply files... Dummy me, I should have checked this first. Andrew would have to verity this of course, I am only making an educated quess.

I got meshmixer to run under linux using wine and no format it can export with non uv mapped vertex colors appear to load correctly into 3DCoat. Andrew needs to look at this because 3 other programs can read the ply file with vertex colors just fine...

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I used MeshLab to save the Ascii Ply file as a binary Ply file with the color selected as an option in export and the file loaded correctly into 3DCoat with the vertex colors. Sorry I had somehow transposed Meshmixer with Meshlab in my brain...

I would post the image but I am not sure if bellscotcv would want me too....

• Like 1