3DCoat Forums

Retopo multiple objects

Zafio

Hi,

I have 4 voxel objects (sharing space and overlaping), and 4 retopo groups for each one, all off them will share the texture, but obviously if I bake all together they will overlap.

So, is there any way to bake all them together without moving them apart beforehand?

Also, is it possible to "pin/lock" UVs from a retopo group so unwrapping new groups doesn't repack/unwrap old ones?

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I have 4 voxel objects (sharing space and overlaping), and 4 retopo groups for each one, all off them will share the texture, but obviously if I bake all together they will overlap.

So, is there any way to bake all them together without moving them apart beforehand?

Also, is it possible to "pin/lock" UVs from a retopo group so unwrapping new groups doesn't repack/unwrap old ones?

Thanks!

I don't think you need a new feature request. You can use Sequential Texture Baking to bake multiple objects in an automated sequence, or you can bake multiple meshes simultaneously (not recommend because it sometimes leaves blank areas where objects intersect or or occluded. What I do, often is bake multiple voxel objects onto one mesh. What you have to do, in that case, when using Sequential Texture Baking is to make all (voxel) sub-components (you want to bake together) child layers of the parent layer. 3D Coat treats this as one contiguous object.

About the UV layers, I'm a little bit confused...

Say I want to have 4 objects sharing one UV map, then I want also each one to have its own uv map...

I create a new UV for each one, then I move each one to its own, then I unwrap again... but If I want to go back and use the initial full shared UV, I would expect 3dcoat to remember the UVs, but it doesn't...

Am I missing something?

• Reputable Contributor

About the UV layers, I'm a little bit confused...

Say I want to have 4 objects sharing one UV map, then I want also each one to have its own uv map...

I create a new UV for each one, then I move each one to its own, then I unwrap again... but If I want to go back and use the initial full shared UV, I would expect 3dcoat to remember the UVs, but it doesn't...

Am I missing something?

Some of these use case scenarios are frying my brain. I don't have many (brain) cells left, so please have mercy. :D You can only assign an island to one UV map at a time. If you want to move it to another later on, you can do that...but not occupy space in both at the same time. Just doesn't work that way. Sort of like you and I can't be in two places at the same time. :)

To copy a Retopo layer, you have to select the mesh (there is a SELECT ALL FACES ON LAYER icon at the bottom of the panel) > use the CLONE tool > hit ENTER to commit it > it will create a new layer for you with that copy in it

• Reputable Contributor

....Sort of like you and I can't be in two places at the same time. :)

...well we both could be in two different places. But I mean I cannot be in 2 completely different places at the same time...nor could you.

....unless we're standing on the border of two cities or something. But that's just a mere technicality  :D

• Reputable Contributor

....Sort of like you and I can't be in two places at the same time. :)

...well we both could be in two different places. But I mean I cannot be in 2 completely different places at the same time.Nor could you.....unless we're standing on the border of two cities or something. But that's just a mere technicality  :D

I meant to have different uvs for a same object in the way of other apps (i.e. Blender), not at the same time exactly, although I think it wouldn't be that crazy to calculate one bake for each uv for the same model. I mean, complicated to code? sure, but not impossible, and it would be super handy for game artists.

I saw that vid, and I got the hang of it, but still, seems really counterproductive having to clone retopo groups to have different uv sets. Mostly because in the end you have also to clone the voxel layers too, matching the retopo clones to make all the bakes at once, it's a mess that could and should be simplified. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your answers! really appreciate it!

Edited by Zafio

• Reputable Contributor

I meant to have different uvs for a same object in the way of other apps (i.e. Blender), not at the same time exactly, although I think it wouldn't be that crazy to calculate one bake for each uv for the same model. I mean, complicated to code? sure, but not impossible, and it would be super handy for game artists.

I saw that vid, and I got the hang of it, but still, seems really counterproductive having to clone retopo groups to have different uv sets. Mostly because in the end you have also to clone the voxel layers too, matching the retopo clones to make all the bakes at once, it's a mess that could and should be simplified. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your answers! really appreciate it!

No, you don't have to clone Retopo groups to do anything with UV's. You asked how to copy a Retopo layer, so I explained how you would do that. 3D Coat isn't set up to let one UV island occupy 2 UV maps simultaneously. You could clone a part of a mesh and assign it to a different UV map(s), then bake it separately to use in a game engine and such...perhaps.