3DCoat Forums

Taking a multi-part mesh into Substance

arumiat

Go to solution Solved by Hammers,

• Advanced Member

3Dcoat is great in that you can work on your multiple objects independently, meaning you can show and hide them at every stage. I'm getting baking errors and out of memory errors w my scene in 4.5.02 so I'm going to give it a go painting the mesh in Substance Painter.

The problem is that when I export the mesh into a program like Substance Painter I don't have the option of hiding individual elements via the fbx menu. The only way to hide different parts is via 'materials'.

I have to set up these materials in 3DC prior to exporting to Substance. How can I label different parts of my mesh to be different materials and thus get control over them in Substance Painter? Ideally I'd like to be able to show and hide them individually, so they'd each have a completely separate material..

This is the mesh. It is unwrapped to 2 UV sets.

post-38412-0-46018300-1433340112_thumb.p

This is the mesh and you can see the default materials in Substance

post-38412-0-41503100-1433340296_thumb.p

Any help appreciated,
T

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hopefully this will help with material id's:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14565 digman

Expert

• photo-thumb-518.png?_r=0

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes, you can create materials assigned to uv islands.

Before merging (baking) your model to the paint room.

Create under the Groups tab in the retopo room a new layer for each uv island. 

Unwrap your model.

Now select a uv island and then in the Groups tab at the bottom there is a icon to move all those selected polygons to the layer you have currently selected.

The move icon is the second to last one.

Now merge to the paint room.

A material will be created for each layer which means you have assigned a different material to every uv-island.

The separate materials will show up under the Materials tab in the paint room.

Hope this helps and I believe it is close to what you are asking for...

The picture is just the quick test to show you when I exported the Obj ball model from the paint room and imported the model into Wings3D that the materials and color map loaded correctly plus of course they are under the correct group as well.

I did not rename the layers when creating them in 3DCoat as this was just to create an example.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-518-0-90575500-1370791497_thumb.png

and

Malo

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16549&p=112318

• photo-thumb-24378.jpg?_r=1374683665
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

In Retopo Room

Every UV-set stands for a material.

Every Retopo Group stands for a Object.

This may be also contextually useful with regard materials and uvgroups

Adding Texture Resolution‬

• Advanced Member

Thanks CFK! Andrew fixed my bug within 14-hours so I'm back to using 3DC but I'm actually looking forward to getting used to Substance at some stage and these have encouraged me to give it another go.

• Advanced Member

Hmmm, so I'm still a bit confused.

Here is how my retopo room is setup, which I believe is how digman describes to set them up above, - each object I would like to work with individually in Substance Designer is on a separate retopo later.

I have 3 UV sets, and these 13 objects are spread across those 3 UV sets.

post-38412-0-06954500-1433864372_thumb.p

When baked, I get an individual paint object for each one of these (which is different to what Digman said would happen - he described material)

post-38412-0-43019600-1433864372_thumb.p

This is how my surface materials look (which relate to my 3 UV sets (A, B, C)

post-38412-0-66975200-1433864372_thumb.p

In Substance Painter I only get one DefaultMaterial loading up, which according to this thread means I only have one material ID present.

post-38412-0-88260000-1433864373_thumb.p

In Substance Designer however I appear to have 13 materials present, which is good right? I can't see where to use these to hide and show each mesh individually however.

post-38412-0-08530800-1433864373_thumb.p

Ultimately I'd like to be able to apply a different procedural material to each of these 13 objects in Substance Designer. Any advice appreciated,

T

Edited by arumiat

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member
  • Solution

@arumiat Not sure if this will help, but I just had a similar challenge getting from 3Dcoat to SP.

My process was

1. Model in Blender (low poly, 5 objects)

2. Export .obj to 3dcoat for UV mapping. All objects on same UV set

3. Export .obj again to Substance - this gave me the 'one material' issue

4. Opened the .obj in Blender again, and add a separate default material to each object (naming them, head, eyes, hair etc.)

4. Open obj in Substance et voilá. Objects separated by material (as 'texture sets') ready for painting, and allowing for isolating parts. The obects still share the UV space as expected.

Hope this gets you a bit further :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@arumiat Not sure if this will help, but I just had a similar challenge getting from 3Dcoat to SP.

My process was

1. Model in Blender (low poly, 5 objects)

2. Export .obj to 3dcoat for UV mapping. All objects on same UV set

3. Export .obj again to Substance - this gave me the 'one material' issue

4. Opened the .obj in Blender again, and add a separate default material to each object (naming them, head, eyes, hair etc.)

4. Open obj in Substance et voilá. Objects separated by material (as 'texture sets') ready for painting, and allowing for isolating parts. The obects still share the UV space as expected.

Hope this gets you a bit further :)

Woah, that's huge! I had effectively given up on the Substance workflow because of this issue. Thanks Hammers!  :)  :)  :)

Edited by arumiat