3DCoat Forums

Can't centre object to workspace

AnD4D

I'm building another model, and noted that half way though, some text appeared at the bottom that says "Non-uniform". Not sure what I did to make this happen, but anyway...

I'm now at a point where I can not centre an object to the middle of the layout. I am using all of the tools, such as 'To Main Axis', 'Reset Space', etc... but where that was working fine before, now all it does is set the gizmo to the correct spot, but places the object elsewhere. Sometimes out of my view, quite a fair way away from the rest of the model.

I've seen this error log, which seems similar to what I'm experiencing, but it looks like it's fixed.

Is this a feature, and I've just done something wrong, or am I experiencing a bug? I've tried reloading the file, closing down the program, but nothing helps. I'm thinking I must have clicked the wrong button somewhere, but I can;'t for the life of me figure out why this would be a feature.

*EDIT - Ah, that's cleared the "non-uniform" notice at the bottom, but the objects still won't return to the centre. When I press reset axis and reset space, the gizmo still moves, but not the object.

I have "Move only gizmo" unchecked.

Edited by AnD4D

To follow up. It looks like the gizmo comes away from the object whenever I press "Reset Space" on the Tool Options window.

I've loaded up a new scene and started again, and everything is working as expected. However, when I load my other scene back up, everything's broken. At the moment, this has stopped me from working, as I can't ensure everything is in the correct place.

Is there a way to reset things, or save the object I've created and place it into a new scene without losing progress? I know I can export it as a mesh, but I'd rather keep voxels while I work on it.

*EDIT - Scratch that last bit. I found the import model button. It seems that imports the settings along with it. A scene can work fine up until I import the 3b that has the issue.

Edited by AnD4D

• Reputable Contributor

AnD4D, is it possible for you to post the 3DC file somewhere to download as carlosan suggested, it would help maybe to solve your problem if possible.

Non-uniform is an error message. You have transform the voxels or tri polygons (surface model) along one axis distorting them.

To correct the error as Carlosan stated use to global space ( you did this already) or uniform space. You can use the tranforms tool to transform a model along one axis but must fix the voxels or polygons each time.

post-518-0-08809900-1422296630_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

AnD4D, is it possible for you to post the 3DC file somewhere to download as carlosan suggested, it would help maybe to solve your problem if possible.

Non-uniform is an error message. You have transform the voxels or tri polygons (surface model) along one axis distorting them.

To correct the error as Carlosan stated use to global space ( you did this already) or uniform space. You can use the tranforms tool to transform a model along one axis but must fix the voxels or polygons each time.

Thanks for an explanation as I was unaware of what generated the error. As using the Transform tool in an ordinary way seems to generate the error, how is one to avoid this? Presumably one should correct matters after resizing the object but what of the choice between Global and Uniform Space?

• Reputable Contributor

In the transform tool panel, first select "To Center Mass"

Now in the Position Boxes for xyz set the numbers for each box to "0"

In my test this moved the model to world center on the grid.

I would show a picture of the model but I have not asked your permission to show the model.

3DC Linux non cuda 64 bit version 4.5.beta9

Hope this works for you as well and is what you want...

@Tony... The tool tip saids global space is good for objects that are scaled non uniformly to return them to a uniform state. Uniform space will do the same but has no such advice in the tool tip. Yes you have to correct this each time you scale non-uniformly... Voxels are 3D square pixels (more or less) in math.. they do not take kindly to being stretched out of shape just like a 2D image along one axis... Even though in surface mode we are dealing with tri-polygons, I guess internally for structure sake it imposes the same rule other wise things could get ugly in a hurry. That is only a guess on my part about surface mode.

post-518-0-46978900-1422305736_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

I wonder why it isn't automated. If, by scaling non-uniformly (which is so common an act that I never imagined it to be problematical) stretches the boxes or tris in an awkward manner, the two buttons make everything all right. More voxels (or tris) are created to fill the required space. Sounds like a useful automation to make 3D-Coat more user friendly (and idiot proof, what junk are you making if you don't notice the little red words)  

Nice model.  When I looked at your Model, I noticed that it had symmentry for the x axis on.  But the symmentry type (I am not sure if I am using the right terminology) was local.  Try turning the symmentry to Global.  I have had similar problems to what you have described and having symmentry on gloabal seemed to improve the situation.

Sounds like a useful automation to make 3D-Coat more user friendly (and idiot proof, what junk are you making if you don't notice the little red words)  

Just noticed this... hope that wasn't directed at me.

If it was, I'd like to point out that I did notice the red words at the bottom saying "non-uniform". However, seeing as I made the entire model with symmetry on, and produced a perfectly symmetrical object. As far as I knew, there was nothing non-uniform about it.

Also, if it was aimed at me, there's no need at all to be that rude. This post is in the New Users section of the forum, so don't feel the need to call work here "junk" and the designers "idiots".

• Contributor

"Just noticed this... hope that wasn't directed at me."

It certainly wasn't directed at you as I myself have failed to notice the red words and continued to work on a stretched object. The remark, "idiot proof", is to point out that such errors can be eliminated with programming the Transform tool using a simple if/then function to make a non-uniform object okay for continued work. When you click to make your stretched object contain a uniform number of voxels which could be automated for whenever the Transform tool performed a non-uniform operation. I never knew what produced the "non-uniform" warning until this thread clarified it for me.

"Idiot proof" is perhaps an inelegant expression used by some producers of everything from autos and aircraft to computer programs.

In the transform tool panel, first select "To Center Mass"

Now in the Position Boxes for xyz set the numbers for each box to "0"

In my test this moved the model to world center on the grid.

I would show a picture of the model but I have not asked your permission to show the model.

3DC Linux non cuda 64 bit version 4.5.beta9

Hope this works for you as well and is what you want...

Thanks. Sadly this didn't work. As soon as I press the transform tool, it deselects the object I was looking to add, and simply centre aligns my current creation. As soon as I go back to my list of objects to add in, it again plops it down far away from the Gizmo.

I can press the "To Main Axis" button to put the Gizmo in the correct place, but this means I have to repeatedly check it's in the right place in space every time. It also won't align it to the centre of the space, meaning once it gets to this point, I can't proceed.

Just tried it with a new model, and it has happened again, but again I can't see what is triggering it. I built 2 models perfectly fine before, but as I "improve" I use more tools, so I figure I'm pressing something along the line that's causing an issue... but the only thing I can think that I'm using now is the auto scale tool... but I can't see that causing any issues.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I am confused now... You use the word "ADD". Are you now talking about importing a model into the voxel or surface mode? 

My other replies were for models already imported...

Please show some pictures or a video to help clear up any confusion...

Edited by digman