3DCoat Forums

Octane Render

3DCNC

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I've been manually doing my setups in octane by exporting my scene's as .obj files and then using meshnodes in octane.  the only problem I'm having is that the vox layers as they are exported from the sculpting room are not given unique materials per layer.  This means I can't use the material map node in octane to reassign materials and have to export each layer one by one.  

it would be awesome if 3DCoat could get updated so that the "export scene" obj exporter were able to assign a material to each vox/surface layer.  it's really the main feature needed for applinking to octane.  other than adding reinstance support, but that would mean that 3DCoat would have to either use alembic file (http://www.alembic.io) instead of .obj. (octane will recognize all the reinstance transforms by using checksums). or generate the scatter node with all the instance transforms written in and an obj mesh node.  

here's a pic I whipped up from a voxel mesh in octane.

YZMf9Ic.png

Edited by Spiraloid
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Keep in mind, guys, that these Applinks are NOT developed by 3D Coat. It's all 3rd party driven. Andrew will usually try to work with someone who can develop them for the applications they are familiar with, and have scripting experience in those apps. But it is hard to find them and harder still to try and get one to update them regularly. This is why I think all applinks should be supported for their efforts, via a Gumroad or Cubebrush page, or something like it.