3DCoat Forums

Retopo Shells

alvordr

• Advanced Member

A great feature to add would be retopo shells. By this, I mean like greebles for retopologizing things like rounded shapes. It would speed up the retopo work for things like that that can be somewhat tedious, even using strokes. For example, if I could call this feature in the Retopo Room and tell it how dense I want the rounded shape to be, then adjust it's shape from a perfectly rounded shape to a custom (think oblong) shape or just keep it perfectly rounded before committing the actual retopo work, then hit 'Enter,' I could simply work from there.

• Advanced Member

I think you can do something like this already. Using the example you gave, you could import a sphere model as a retopo mesh. Adjust the shape with the transform tool in the retopo room. Position it over you high poly model part you want to retopologize. Then you could snap the mesh to your high poly model using the brush tool.

While 3DC wouldn't automatically generate the retopo primitive for you, the current approach has the advantage of allowing you to build your own library of retopo shapes at the mesh density that works best for you and with the shapes that appear most in your work. Instead of having approximate shapes for your greebles, etc. you can use exact low-poly versions of your greebles in the retopo process.

• Reputable Contributor

I think you can do something like this already. Using the example you gave, you could import a sphere model as a retopo mesh. Adjust the shape with the transform tool in the retopo room. Position it over you high poly model part you want to retopologize. Then you could snap the mesh to your high poly model using the brush tool.

While 3DC wouldn't automatically generate the retopo primitive for you, the current approach has the advantage of allowing you to build your own library of retopo shapes at the mesh density that works best for you and with the shapes that appear most in your work. Instead of having approximate shapes for your greebles, etc. you can use exact low-poly versions of your greebles in the retopo process.

Yeah...the Kitbashing tools (Models Pallet) is dockable in the Retopo Room now and you can click on preset meshes > transform before committing, and after committing to a layer, you can then drag and drop back into the models pallet, for future usage on other projects.