3DCoat Forums

Substance Painter released

PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Looks pretty good. Andrew said they plan to support Substance materials. How that works I don't know, but he has extra help creating a material system for the PBR toolset. I presume he sees SP as a direct competitor. Competition always brings out the best among ambitious software vendors. Looks like they brought the price down quite a bit. Although, by the time Andrew gets done with the PBR work, they are going to have to re-think their whole pricing strategy. Pretty exciting stuff, nontheless.

• Contributor

Looks pretty good. Andrew said they plan to support Substance materials. How that works I don't know, but he has extra help creating a material system for the PBR toolset. I presume he sees SP as a direct competitor. Competition always brings out the best among ambitious software vendors. Looks like they brought the price down quite a bit. Although, by the time Andrew gets done with the PBR work, they are going to have to re-think their whole pricing strategy. Pretty exciting stuff, nontheless.

Having contact with some of the guys there: Andrew can try to compete but the products are completely different.

Substance painter is based on a vector approach rather than rasters. They use math to create bitmaps, unless Andrew rewrite his engine he'll just make 3dc work "with substances", not "like substance". This is why Substance will have the upper hand in the long run:

They can make anything happen un-destructively (uv recasting without any loss for instance) and with so much efficiency their substances are very light, their endgame is not maps, it's their proprietary format in every known engine.

I honestly don't like painter at all, because, well... too much time with 2d textures sheets on photoshop and painter feels like a "tech tool". But their approach is future proof.

Substance is compatible with

UE4
UE3/UDK
Unity 3D
Autodesk Maya
Autodesk 3ds Max
MODO

Adding 3DC to their compatible software list, will bring more users to their Substance Designer base workflow.
Is a win-win situation for both companies... putting it on a high stand, and making a perfect solution vs Quixel Suite and -in some task- Mari.

my humble opinion
  • Like 1

• Contributor

@carlosan

Painting in 2k is fine for me, but yes, 4k is laggy.

Anyway, i like the painting in 3d coat much more, Not sure why, maybe the movement, Ui or other stuff.

But a usage of Subtance Materials in 3d coat would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see Substance as a competitor for 3DC - and I'd also love to have Substance textures in 3DC.

Substance Painter is an excellent kit, but I can still do Voxel work, Retopo, UV and additional Paint etc., in 3DC, so it would be a while, if ever that I would start thinking about choosing one over the other.

-Will

• Advanced Member

I'm not a professional anything, just a hobbyist and have been watching this thread closely. I don't really understand much about the technical side of most software. Having spent some time at the Substance Painter website watching the tutorials, I'm totally blown away by the things you can do. My question to those of you who understand everything Andrew is trying to accomplish with the new rendering system, is, would Substance Painter become redundant? There is presently a sale on Substance Painter, but I'm not sure it will still be relevant after 3DC gets the new PBR .

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Denis

• Contributor

It will be interesting to compare the differences between Substance Painter and 3D-Coat once the PBR version of 3D-Coat is released. If 3D-Coat will support the Substance file format, then there may not be many differences at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Need a bit of advice guys.. Substance Painter is having a flash sale, bringing their Indie version down to $49. Should I not bother and save my money for the next 3DC update, given the current addition and direction of the new PBR features in 3DCoat?  Is Substance Painter different to what Andrew is currently implementing?

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

@Ricky :

Some 3D Coat advantages :

- Clear interface : simple and easy to use

- drawing with lines , curves or patterns

- more mask features

- easy selection tools

- layers are simple to use

If you use 3D coat for sculpting also, then you should not pay more for PBR painting really.

I would say you can download the trial of Painter and try 3D coat alpha PBR , than make your choice.

Edited by Ratchet

• Advanced Member

@Ricky :

Some 3D Coat advantages :

- Clear interface : simple and easy to use

- drawing with lines , curves or patterns

- more mask features

- easy selection tools

- layers are simple to use

If you use 3D coat for sculpting also, then you should not pay more for PBR painting really.

I would say you can download the trial of Painter and try 3D coat alpha PBR , than make your choice.

Thanks Ratchet. I'm a current 3DCoat user and I use it for UV, Sculpting and texture painting. What I like about SP, is the substance materials and the automatic erosion on edges. Plus particle painting.

I don't want to go spending cash on these functions, if this is what Andrew has in store for the next 3DC release.

• Contributor

As far as i know, you get in the next 3d coat update PBR Materials.

Erosion is includet, but not in that way as SPainter handle it. Its in the Material itself and not a Mask Layers with Substance Effect.

And Partikels would not be included. Maybe in the future if Andrew have interrests to do that.

If you need Particle Brushes, then i would say buy SPainter.

If you dont need Particle Brushes, then i would say wait for 3d coat.

• Advanced Member

DDO plugin allows you to make textures and tile able ones from scratch, like 3D Coat.

And this is the big weak point  Substance Painter, as it doesn't all 2D drawing tools (lines , curves, shapes, polygon etc ...), these are very needed if you are making some Sci Fi texture from scratch for example.

• Advanced Member

As far as i know, you get in the next 3d coat update PBR Materials.

Erosion is includet, but not in that way as SPainter handle it. Its in the Material itself and not a Mask Layers with Substance Effect.

And Partikels would not be included. Maybe in the future if Andrew have interrests to do that.

If you need Particle Brushes, then i would say buy SPainter.

If you dont need Particle Brushes, then i would say wait for 3d coat.

Thanks for the response Malo, that is exactly what I needed. I downloaded the 30 day trial earlier and have had a quick play. And yes, where as Substance Particles would be nice, I don't see the need to shell out $49 just to have them, when it looks like Andrew is going to implement the erosion-type PBR materials.

Cheers,

Ricky.

P.S. And thanks again Ratchet, just seen your second response too.

Edited by wave of light

I downloaded the trial yesterday. On my Mac running Mavericks it crashes a lot (I think half the time I've run it I've had to use force quit). Clearly it will improve with time but I think I'll stick with 3d Coat.

Also, my brain is almost full up so the thought of another learning curve doesn't appeal.

I own both 3d coat and Substance Painter and while painter has some really cool features like edge wear effects, painting with particles etc you'll still need Substance Designer and a good map baking solution to get the most out of it. Also performance wise 3d coat is vastly more responsive than Substance Painter, and that holds true even if painting 8k or 16k maps. Painter lags quite badly even at it's lesser 4k limit.

The Substance toolset definitely excels in creating textures for games and I'm a fan of all their software, but outside of games it pales in comparison to the likes of 3d coat, Mudbox and Mari. For high fidelity texture painting and a more artist friendly 'painterly feel' I'd definitely recommend 3d coat at this point. The deal sealer being PBR now getting implemented in 3d coat, which was previously it's only weakness in this comparison.

• Advanced Member

I bought the indie version and I'm having a little workflow problem between 3DC and Substance painter. The Texture Sets pane shows all the material IDs of your assets. Those material IDs need to be created during the mesh creation.

Does anyone know how to create the material IDs in 3DC?

The Color ID provides a quick method for creating masks based on a color ID map such as the UV to SVG map you can bake from Substance Designer. In beta 9, the color ID map, if added to the project will be automatically selected. 

Here is a workflow. 
1. Using the beta mesh, add a layer with a black mask. 
2. With the mask selected, add a Substance Effect. 
3. Choose the Color ID Effect. 

At this point, the mask will be created from material 1 as material_1 is enabled by default. It is set to a red color. If you look at the document settings, you see the ID map under additional maps. Everything Red is the map will be set to white in the mask which means not masked. This essentially allows you to only paint on that material_1

The issue is that you have to set the color manually at this time. In a future update, there will be a color picker that allows you to pick the color values indicating a material in the ID map. It will work like material ID selection in Substance Designer. 

So, it is working, but you can't pick the colors. You have to manually set the color value. This will be improved though. 

Cheers, 

Wes

another example

• Advanced Member

Carlosan it says those material IDs need to be created during the mesh creation. I create all of my meshes in 3D COAT. I don't have substance designer only substance painter. I want to create these material IDs in 3D Coat. Is there a way to do this in 3D Coat?

Edited by Denis

Color IDs are just painted locations, in this case. You need to paint areas with specific colors in 3DC and export that image, then import it as your Color ID map.

I haven't used Substance Painter in a while, so I don't recall how/if you can import the Color ID map. But I'm sure you can find somewhere on the web how.

• Contributor

It is very easy to create material IDs in 3d coat.

You only have to paint it, thats all.

After you move to the paint room, start painting the areas that should represent your material.

Take a look at this.

At 50:30 i start with the material IDs for my gun to texture it in Substance Designer, the workflow is similar to Painter.

Sure you have to do it manually, but thats the only way at this moment in 3d coat.

Baking causes always problems as far as i see.

Edited by Malo

Sorry Denis, i was not very helpful

But... always is a good moment to remember to add a +1 to this requests at Trello vote cards :D

Export UVLayout to an SVG/EPS file

RGB Automap Islands Bake from your highpoly model (Color ID map)