3DCoat Forums

3dc_v37.jpg

3D-Coat 3.7 released. It is a last jump before V4. The main intention of this release is to summarize all what was done for last year and to release AppLinks.

There is list of changes since 3.5.00 - http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-37/

Of course you have seen and used a lot of announced features, this list just summarizes everything that was done since 3.5.

You may download latest 3D-Coat there -

http://3d-coat.com/download/

LC and boolean stuff (but CutOff) is not officially included there, it is still in beta stage, it is intended for V4. But you may enable and use it using Edit->Preferences->Show beta tools.

There you may discuss 3.7. updates, beta stuff and upcoming features of V4:

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=8887

3D-Coat 3.7 released. [..]

Marketing text fix: "Customizable interface. 3D-Coat has a professional customizable interface. Layout is broken on several separate rooms."

You may want to say: Layout is divided into separate rooms.

Otherwise people will read automatically: the layout is broken..

• Like 1

Great job guys! I've been test driving 3.7 and the work Andrew has done is impressive. Hats off to the entire Pilgway team as I am enjoying the speed and stability enhancements of the latest 3DC :)

nothiing happens when i try to download applinks.. tryed 3ds and maya both of them when i click the download applink lilnk.. the page refreshes and nothing is downloaded.. and right clicking the "download applink" link lets me save a "download.htm" file not the acctual zip

Thanks for reporting. Now it have to work

nothiing happens when i try to download applinks.. tryed 3ds and maya both of them when i click the download applink lilnk.. the page refreshes and nothing is downloaded.. and right clicking the "download applink" link lets me save a "download.htm" file not the acctual zip

Thanks for reporting. Now it works

Nice update!! everything works smooth!!! Now only we need a proper "clay" brush for LC, and his derivates (polish, trim, or flaten,etc...)...don't forget this app is focused on sculpting, so now we need full control!! Hope the duo Andrew and Raul will found an amazing solutions soon!!!!

Congrats from Spain !!!

P.D: And a UI cleaning and renovation will be amazing for v4, remember that simplification is the key in the modern software.

• Advanced Member

My humble opinion,

In surface mode / LC mode. There isn't any sculpting tool that I can work with.

Great well tuned tools under zbrush, under sculptris (my favorite), even under 3dc voxels mode.

These surf tools are for some details, some specific situations but never for real generic sculpting. This happens all these months, nothing seems to go to the direction I wish. Do you like them? I wonder.

Please, can you suggest me a simple draw tool under surf mode? Having a natural behavior I mean!

Try the build tool (vox mode), add a sharp mask on this, now add LC on this. This is exactly similar to the fine sculptris creese tool. Is it so difficult to have such cool tools in surf mode?

• Advanced Member

To be honest Michalis I like rapid,mud and stratches brushes a lot(the v2 are better),I find it really good to start the overall shape in a subtractive way(but I consider myself more a carver than a modeler).

I don't find these tools useful for detailing,but for the starting of the sculpting(which is much more important).

This is interesting, sculptris imo has tools more useful in an additive way,but sculpting isn't only additive(also because additive sculpting as we see in 3d programs really doesn't exist in the real world,in the real world we glue and attach pieces together),

Maybe it could be interesting starting a new thread about brushes,for example I would like to see in brushes some damping/elasticity/firm properties,or a way to define a wet property for the brushes(to give a similar behaviour as when you use some kind of solvent with the clay.

These kind of things(some physical properties attached to a brush) could be imo much more interesting than trying to copy brush behaviour from zbrush or sculptris.

• Advanced Member

Standard brushes have similar behavior under any app, this isn't a copy, it's the artist's basic needs!

Sculptris and zb tools don't copy each other, yet have similar behavior. Blender and MB have similar basic brushes too.

Wet , elastic, or other may be nice but I'm talking about the basics. I don't call a clay brush basic. A standard draw, pinch, creese, grab-move, a flattener and smooth, these I had in mind. We desperately need an input - curve editor for custom tools.

• Advanced Member

Standard brushes have similar behavior under any app, this isn't a copy, it's the artist's basic needs!

Sculptris and zb tools don't copy each other, yet have similar behavior. Blender and MB have similar basic brushes too.

Wet , elastic, or other may be nice but I'm talking about the basics. I don't call a clay brush basic. A standard draw, pinch, creese, grab-move, a flattener and smooth, these I had in mind. We desperately need an input - curve editor for custom tools.

Wiser words were never spoken.

I don't think Pilgway has the vision nor perspective to truly understand and accept what you said here let alone make it a reality.

I would love to be proved wrong.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

@3dioot

I'm sure Pilgrway will soon provide us with such an "advanced" brush editor.

Let's think otherwise. Why should I expect Andrew or Raul to provide me the exact tools I like? Pr Petters (sculptris) almost did it. Pixologic has a great editor for tools, in fact all these tons of zb tools are just customizable basic brushes.

I have asked Andrew, a few times, for a pinch tool (+-). To be able to pinch a little upper or a little deeper on the surface. A combination of a draw+pinch brush. Now, pinch has a curve, here's the trick. DO you like a creese (sculptris) brush or the standard well done zb pinch?

That could be great. To be able to combine two brushes in one. I don't know how difficult it could be for Andrew, but what a simple as UI solution...

• Advanced Member

The point Michalis is that what you want is much more advanced than you think.

Zbrush engine brushes is developed since a long time,it's mature,looking at Zbrush engine as reference means matching years of development.

About Sculptris,to be honest,I don't find it so great,it's a good program but for example how Sculptris handles angular geometry(concavity)is simply inferior to how LC handles it.

• Advanced Member

@renderdemon

Have you checked the blender brushes editor? There're curves, there is also a pinch parameter. More than enough for me. There's a lazy parameter... oh it's the interpolation of the brush in 3dc, well, even entering 80 it doesn't work as expected.

There're also two modes for the size of the tool, one related to camera zoom. It exists in 3dc but it also doesn't work as expected. So useful when in LC mode, actually.

I'm still talking about the few basic tools, and sculptris - to be honest as well- is simply great on this.

What makes me a bit confused is that under voxels I find the behavior more appropriate. Almost enough for me. Practically, I can't sculpt in surf mode, except of adding some details, making some edges sharper... this last may trigger some nasty situations under retopo and baking LOL.

• Advanced Member

Michalis,of course if you can't sculpt in surface mode this isn't a great thing.

Sometimes I had the same feeling about 3dcoat sculpting,but my main problem was always performance or some dangerous bug(there are some bugs yet but performance I find it good now),and for me it's a great bonus working without topology constraint,this is the main reason I use the program.

I really hope 3dc brushes can improve so much to make everybody happy(the worst thing is working with frustration)

Keep it up

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Haven't been doing 3D in a long while and just downloaded v3.7 for Mac and I get a message that it doesn't work with my architecture.

I have an iMac running 10.5.8, Intel. v3.5 runs fine.

Didn't see any new system requirements. What am I missing here?

Bob