3DCoat Forums

Hi in Aleksey

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

Hi,

finally decided to dive into sculpting, and decided to try 3d coat.

Hi everybody!

so far love the program. Some crashes here and there, but nothing terrible. Autosave saved me each time =)

anyway so i was doing the rat tutorial. (great tut). and now im re-doing it to make my own mouse. And experiment with the various tools.

-Found surface mode. That's pretty awesome with live clay. still not as smooth operating as sculptris, but small price to pay with all the other features. (maybe i just haven't leart how to use the tools properly yet).

Anyway this is my current challenge:

post-38117-0-95201000-1387718763_thumb.j

I made the body, converted it to surface mode worked on the face. Then decided to make the legs, cut and copy the bottom half of the body, made a new voxel layer, made the legs, sculpted the legs.

but when i tried to merge back it kept saying that baloen operation failed. so i cut off the bottom half of the surface layer with my body and head on it. and merged my legs with pelvis into the body layer in surface mode. But now i have this gap. Is there any way to close this gap while in surface mode? or do i have to switch it back to voxels? ( dont want to switch it coz it looses a lot of the definition. )

cheers

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

You can use the Pose tool and select the E-Panel (Press 'E') and choose a rectangle...select the area around the waist on either the upper or lower part of the body, and then use the pose tool to "stretch" it up into the other half of the body.  Make sure each layer that you want to merge are in the same mode and then merge them.  I think that would work.

• Advanced Member

merging with overlap doesn't work for some reason. it always fails, that's why i made a gap.

the bridge tool isn't working either. also if i try to place a sphere in the middle with the "primitives" tool that also says "boolean operation failed"

i'll make a video explaining it tomorrow.

• Advanced Member

Are you in Voxel Mode or Surface Mode? ...and, yes, the bridge tool is pretty useless from what I can tell.  If you're seeing that tool, however, it implies you're in Surface Mode.  Go to Voxel mode for both layers you want to merge and try to merge it that way. You might also find an option under the Voxel Menu in the Voxel Room that allows for removal of intersections, but I find it iffy.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

yeah i know i can go back to voxel mode, but then i loose the sculpted detail in surface mode.

and if i do cut and clone to preserve detail, well then i'll be back in this situation :) thats exactly what i did. I cut and cloned the pelvis, attached the legs and was hoping to merge it back into the surface model :))

• Advanced Member

ok no worries. Yeah. Im just experimenting. I understand that the proper workflow is get the overall shape with voxels and then go into surface mode to sculpt details. Im just testing the limits.

ooh ok i found a solution. while writing this.

so i tried using inflate or build clay with tool blend merge real time detection enabled. But that was very slow and ugly. But it did let me connect the two meshes. and left a bunch of ugly inside.

then i also noticed that really the other thing that can connect the two meshes is the regular spike tool ( live clay one doesn't work). Curves connects, but i cant smooth between surfaces, always hard edge.

so basically i move the two meshes as close as possible. use the spike tool to stitch em together, then use smooth tool, then reconstruct tool. Then smooth it out again.

still have a little island of geomtry in the middle of the mesh, not sure how to get rid of that.

ok so i think if you have problems merging stuff you got to flip between voxel and surface a couple of times

• Advanced Member

One thing I noticed in your video is you are trying to merge a layer that is in V mode with one that is in S mode, which is why I originally said you should have them both in the same mode before doing this.  I usually put both in V mode for a merge, but it's not the only way.  I don't know if you had already tried that and it wasn't working for you?

Also, what version are you using?  The deformities when switching between modes has flip-flopped around betas in whether or not they work well.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the level of detail is often dictated by the amount of resolution you have in your layers that you are merging.  For example, if you're merging half the body at 51k tris into a layer that's sitting at a much greater or much lesser resolution of detail (let's say 2x or 4x normal res), then there will likely be changes (good or bad) that will occur as the layers merge.  That said, I doubt that's affecting you here, from what I'm seeing.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

im just using the demo version from the site. at the top says 4.0.04B.

thnks for all the tips. I understand that i should merge in voxel mode, but was just experimenting in surface mode. I like to see and push the limits of what im using. so i know how to get out of sticky situations =)

• Advanced Member

You can merge in either, but sometimes it helps to do one or the other, depending on your results.  Often it's best to at least be in the same mode for both before merging.  What you're doing in experimenting is a great approach to avoiding more timely issues later on.

• Advanced Member

ok so im having some problems withautopo. im using the latest stable build on the website.

and my biggest issue are these middle polygons that dont join. the spiraling is also kinda annoying.

• Advanced Member

adjusting the mirror snapping and running autopo still produces same problem.

could it be my  mesh? its just voxels...

i watched all the youtube video's i could find no one seems to be having this problem :(

where do i turn off symmetry when doing autopo?

• Reputable Contributor

If you have Mirror snapping at 0%, then one usually gets the exact issues you are experiencing. Adjust to about 30-40 and it should essentially weld/snap the verts. I would also turn off "Virtual Mirror mode in the Retopo Room. That can make you think you have geometry where there isn't any (it's displaying a preview of symmetry being applied).

Edited by AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

another noob question. Is there a freeze/masking brush/mode in voxel sculpting? or is that only in surface?

I think it's because it's complicated to freeze a solid object full of voxels...but you could make a feature request for it. I think it could be done using components from the Hide tool and VoxLayer tool...because the hide tool in voxel mode is practically a freeze tool in it's own right. Whatever is hidden is frozen. So, in the interim, you could use that, but I think Andrew could make the Freeze brush/tool in voxel mode, a 2 step operation....

1) Make a selection just like the Vox Layer and Vox Extrude tool

2) Set the depth of the freeze effect, just like you'd set the extrusion amount in the Voxel Layer tool

A. Have a Tool option that hides the frozen amount, so one could determine just how deep it went. Give that "hide" option a hotkey assignment.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

hm... yeah now that you put it like that. I guess it would be a pain and kinda confusing to freeze voxels... bummer.. ah well.. no problem will just do it in surface mode.

• Reputable Contributor

hm... yeah now that you put it like that. I guess it would be a pain and kinda confusing to freeze voxels... bummer.. ah well.. no problem will just do it in surface mode.

The HIDE tool will function pretty much the same way the Freeze tool would though...as it does freeze the hidden parts

• Advanced Member

ok got a new problem, i thought i made a mistake somwhere, but i went back trying to fix it, and can't figure it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z4GPJOOpYU&feature=youtu.be

(taking a long time to process, sorry if its not working)

since video is not working here it is in screenshots:

I have this retopo:

nGx3g.jpg

then i run merge with NM

and this happens

Eet5V.jpg

and that screws up the normal map bake and i get ugly triangles.. :(

how do i stop this? im guessing its some kind of snapping. I dont have snapping ticked in any of the baking dialogues.

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

Aleksey,

Hey.  Try moving the verts in the Retopo Room for problem areas away from the symmetry plane.  I think you'll find that extra geometry has been created.  This was a problem with 3DC quite a long time ago...it seemed to be fixed, but I find the later betas seem to have it occur more often now.  You need to move the verts in those areas away from the center line, delete the extra geometry (you may need to rotate to one side of the ones you want to delete to get to the selectable side of the poly), and then pull the verts back to the middle.  Apply symmetry changes to that layer and re-export.  I also noticed your mirror snapping amount in the Retopo Room is 125%.  Try 100%.

EDIT:  Sorry, I guess I was a bit late on this one.  Yes, sometimes with symmetry turned on before baking can cause an issue...not usually.

Edited by alvordr