3DCoat Forums

That worked! Phew!

and here she is:

I used 'Draw with Pen' to build the entire model. Carve would've been better but the Smooth function is too weak to smoothen a carved form.

WOW! Really poewerful result from pure tool. I will make smoth much stronger.

I noticed there's a bug that causes the work space to capture mouse activity through interface items. In other words - if you hold down the Move Camera button the underlying model behind the button will be modified with the current sculpting tool. eek!

I always feel bad reporting bugs so early. I'm pretty sure you're aware of most of the bugs and you're just going through fixing them. :)

Ok, I will fix it.

I enjoyed making the horse. It wasn't necessarily fast to build, but it was definitely relaxing.

It felt like my right hand was making the horse while my brain had lots of time to think about other things. This is what I think is Voxels strongest feature. It's like doodling with a pencil and paper. You don't have to think about it. You just do it. Most other programs require you constantly think about what you're doing. When using other programs I always feel like I'm a nerdy engineer. :)

It is very good. Really you should not think how to cut polygone and extude face correctly :)

• Advanced Member

Andrew,do you think will be possible working with ellipsoid shape?

I mean,with carve,the brush it's a sphere,even with pressure gives some problem controlling how depth you go.

If the brush can be made elliptical,we can use big radius for surfacing big zone,but without changing too much depth.

I mean,with carve,the brush it's a sphere,even with pressure gives some problem controlling how depth you go.

If the brush can be made elliptical,we can use big radius for surfacing big zone,but without changing too much depth.

Do you mean painting with ellipse instead of sphere? Good idea. Really bigger square, less volume, better performance.

Ellipse proportions can depend on pressure.

• Advanced Member
Do you mean painting with ellipse instead of sphere? Good idea. Really bigger square, less volume, better performance.

Yes,will be perfect :) .

I know volumetric sculpting is different from surface based,IMHO this is a way to improve workflow(something like fixed 2d radius for x and y in screen coordinates and z(depth,I don't know how work 3d coat internally)variable.

Btw,it's fantastic how you try to follow suggestions from users base,thank you very much.

• Advanced Member

Do you plan to add tools that was suggested in the volumetric sculpting thread?

The current sculpting tools are great for organic sculpting but it lack of hard surface sculpting tools.

The trim tools are really powerful in this way, I hope that you will add these kind of tools.

Wow Andrew! This is a truly revolutionary modeling concept!

A suggestion I'd like to make is a "voxel layering system" similar to the texture layer system. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really useful to be able to make a skeleton volume model on layer one, add a layer on wich muscles could be placed over the skeleton, the next layer for skin, the next for clothing etc. The idea is that then you would be able to carve away parts of the clothes without effecting the skin layer, or parts of the muscle without effecting the skeleton layer. This would be really useful for a variety of tasks, such as creating muscle geometry for muscle rigs (for use in high end character animation), modeling complex sedimentry layers in landscapes, creating and changing clothes of a single hull character efficiently, or even quickly model the varios stages of an apple being eaten :)

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Thanks again for a truly amazing piece of software, and the funnest inovation to modeling since metaballs.

• Advanced Member

Hey folks....I need a little guidance here so I can play with this new tool.....I'm not understanding some of the controls...

First..Even on 'New' I still have the last voxel sculpt still there...how do I get rid of it?

What am I 'merging' and why?

I know this is alpha but it's hard to tell what's due to prototype and what's due to my not seeing it...

Voxeling has to start on the surface of an object?

How do I shift the drawing plane?

They can't be painted, exported or saved yet correct?

Thanks,

M

It looks like "Radius jitter" is set in pen params. Maybe you are using custom pen with jittering?

That's really strange I just opened 3DC again and now it's smooth. The only difference is a PC reboot (actually an unrelated PC crash). Well either way, now I can get back to having fun again.

All this talk of tools reminds me of my ceramics classes in college. Like how we used a wire to cut through the clay. Perhaps there could be something like the Draw Strokes tool, so you could draw a line across the geometry and it would slice through it, like cutting a sphere into 2 hemispheres or cleanly cutting the arm off of a character. Perhaps if I wanted to swap a character's arm with another one. If with had that wire and some way to select and move you cold cut off one arm and replace it with another one. Of course a potters wheel or lathe would be an interesting feature. I'm really just brainstorming here, not saying these are perfect ideas. If anything it might be good for icons if you ever need them. For example, with real clay a sponge is used for smoothing.

Hey folks....I need a little guidance here so I can play with this new tool.....I'm not understanding some of the controls...

First..Even on 'New' I still have the last voxel sculpt still there...how do I get rid of it?

Currently you have to restart the program as far as I know.

What am I 'merging' and why?

Merging lets you import your own object as voxels. I'll attach an extremely low poly head I made if you want to play with it. edit: Looks like only images can be attached, here's a link.

Voxeling has to start on the surface of an object?

Not if you use the 2D Pen tool

How do I shift the drawing plane?

Right-click

They can't be painted, exported or saved yet correct?

I believe you can save now, though I haven't made anything worth saving yet so I haven't tried. No painting yet. No idea about exporting.

• Advanced Member

I use the 'Draw with Pen' instead of Carve. I think that's basically what you're asking for. Adjustable depth?

Been playing around with this... it's great fun!

Then how about using other geometric primitives instead of a sphere/ellipsoid? A cube perhaps, or a torus? One could even imagine loading up a custom mesh to sculpt with (a face/skull, some 3D logo/graphic, etc.)

Also, how about using 3D procedurals to modulate the sculpt, like so...

Vrayiso_with_different_materials.jpg

Then how about using other geometric primitives instead of a sphere/ellipsoid? A cube perhaps, or a torus? One could even imagine loading up a custom mesh to sculpt with (a face/skull, some 3D logo/graphic, etc.)

Are you referring to using an object as a tool or as a base mesh? You already can load an object as a base mesh with the Merge > Select Mesh function. I just loaded up a super simple head model that I'm playing with now. I posted a link to it a few posts ago if you want to download and try.

Are you referring to using an object as a tool or as a base mesh? You already can load an object as a base mesh with the Merge > Select Mesh function. I just loaded up a super simple head model that I'm playing with now. I posted a link to it a few posts ago if you want to download and try.

I was referring to using various geometric primitives or imported objects as a tool. These would replace the sphere 'primitive' that is currently used for all sculpting operations.

• Advanced Member
Been playing around with this... it's great fun!

Also, how about using 3D procedurals to modulate the sculpt, like so...

Vrayiso_with_different_materials.jpg

3D procedurals would be very very useful with volumetric sculpting! and of course, we need symmetry for VS.

• Advanced Member
3D procedurals would be very very useful with volumetric sculpting! and of course, we need symmetry for VS.

Some kind of Volumtric-Procedural-3D-mapping/sculpting tool would be dope!

I think this Vol' idea will shine with some hard surface like tools. First 1 that comes to mind is Boolean.

The want list must be stupidly big by now, Andrew must have all features known to man asked for by now! I just hope he can climb over the garbage to get to the gems :)

• Contributor
I believe this is what it's normally called in Maya, Max, Vue, etc. A Universal Manipulator, or universal gizmo. One "device" that can control move/rotate/scale.

Nowdays it is becoming uncommon to find an app without the Universal /manipulator-gizmo.

Brian

I'm getting some strange behaviour from the carve tool here. Try the following:

1) Activate the 'Merge' Tool.

2) Go to 'Select Mesh' and pick the cube.obj.

3) Select 'On pen'.

4) Paint with the cube, holding down STRG and using a bigger radius.

5) Select the 'Carve' tool, turn down the radius and paint along the edges/slopes.

6) While carving, every once in a while the carve will shoot out into screen space in long tubes (see attached image).

post-795-1220864166_thumb.jpg

I'm getting some strange behaviour from the carve tool here. Try the following:

1) Activate the 'Merge' Tool.

2) Go to 'Select Mesh' and pick the cube.obj.

3) Select 'On pen'.

4) Paint with the cube, holding down STRG and using a bigger radius.

5) Select the 'Carve' tool, turn down the radius and paint along the edges/slopes.

6) While carving, every once in a while the carve will shoot out into screen space in long tubes (see attached image).

What's STRG? I have that happen frequently with just the default sphere pen.