3DCoat Forums

Just updated to the 4.5 12a beta and im getting seams on my mesh in the paint room

Boonta

• Advanced Member

hey guys just updated to the 4.5 12a beta and im getting seams on my mesh in the paint room. anyone know how to fix this?

all i have in this scene is a clean obj + a imported psd with normal map and ao bakes.  it should be noted that this exact same file and setup resulted in no seams in 4.1

post-37758-0-70895300-1425078076_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

hey guys just updated to the 4.5 12a beta and im getting seams on my mesh in the paint room. anyone know how to fix this?

all i have in this scene is a clean obj + a imported psd with normal map and ao bakes.  it should be noted that this exact same file and setup resulted in no seams in 4.1

Some more workflow information is helpful otherwise I am guessing and I can not say if it is a possible bug or not in the new Beta 12.A. This is even more important in the Beta Thread as here you are bringing to the attention of Andrew and others a possible bug. If you think it is a bug a Mantis bug report could be added as well.

Did you overwrite 4.1 with the new beta... That will cause problems. Before the 4.5 PBR beta you could overwrite versions of 3DC but no longer from 4.1 versions to the new beta.

Did you update to version 4.1.17D before undating to the newest beta. Did that version have problems as well?

Also in the preferences we have now several normal map methods to choose from. I can not remember what version of 3DC that was added.

Make sure always use padding is selected as well, I believe that has more to do with exporting but never hurts to be safe.

I have no problems so far that I have come across on importing normal maps in Beta 4.5.12a. 

My 3DC setup is for Blender type of normal maps.

post-518-0-01313300-1425102311_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Boonta,

I have had that problem intermittently for ages  on betas previous to 12a, so probably not confined to the latest beta. I found if i shut the program down and re loaded the scene it tended to go away. I am using beta 12 at the moment and it has not happened yet!  

And colour picker "v" has no probs on  Beta 12 for me. 

• Reputable Contributor

Use your corresponding applink plugin to send your mesh to your host 3D App and do a test render. Many times things like this are just display artifacts in the viewport, only. If you have updated your graphic drivers, and it persists, then it might be worth bringing to Andrew's attention (support@3d-coat.com)

• Advanced Member

so having looked into this from everyone's suggestions...

i already had export padding enabled ( the issue could be import padding if anything.. not export though..)

mikkTspace is selected as my tangent space which is correct.

Repro steps:

i chose a .obj to import and paint on via the paintroom shortcut on the welcome screen.

textures> import > layers color.  and chose a ready made psd that had several layers in it ( AO, Cavity and normal)

set the normal map layer to view as a normal map

weird seams show up as seen in the first image. 

• Reputable Contributor

All questions below are just to help to try and figure out the problem. I read the bug report...

1. Why are you cancelling the update to Photoshop. You did not at least close the image file or photoshop between 3DC sessions. Closing Photoshop is not needed.

2. By cancelling the update you have to use Save As... and save the file in the folder where it is located for the file to update to 3DC.

3. I do not know if the above method will cause problems between 3DC sessions.

You created a new 3DC scene, reimported the model but are still using the old OLE projection information in photoshop. Yes I know it is the same image but maybe internally 3DC needs to update the photoshop file for OLE purposes between applications. (object link and embedding)

Can you test not cancelling but choose yes to image update, Control key and S to save the file again in the normal fashion and still see if you have the same problem.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

lets just ignore the whole photoshop hack i was doing. its probably confusing the issue. especially when the seams appear in a clean scene when the geo is imported and you paint normally on a new layer.

• Advanced Member

the seams persist after sending to photoshop.. painting and then saving and letting 3dcoat update normally. i think this is confusing issue sorry . i was just randomly trying things. thanks for looking into this.ok i have uploaded a mesh to the mantis. its a part of a greater model but if you just start painting on it youll see seams start to form at the UV borders. its easier to see if you hit "2" to go to flat render mode. (tested on beta 13)

Edited by Boonta

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I can confirm the seams show up in Beta13 and but not in 4.1.17D Linux

I will post a note on your Mantis Report to confirm the problem on my end as well.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

sweet, thanks for that! I look forward to a fix. :3

Side note: if your interested i've posted a whole bunch of paintroom bugs/improvements including mantis reports too:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14837

am happy to help explain them further if needed.

Edited by Boonta

• Reputable Contributor

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... %$%^^ . Since I do not use Maya, I always forget that part of the question to ask or test... LOL... :wacko:

I did try uv tiles on the seamtest.obj model and was able to paint it ok near the seams...

I am curious why 4.1.17D was able to paint the seamtest model without problems with a regular import but the beta did not.

Ah, the 3D world... My real pencils say,  Man, you never had problems like these when you used us!

Still do not know if this was the problem till Boonta replies back...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

The other day I was importing this model with UVs layed out in a UDIM fashion and noticed that if I didn't mark the Import tiles as UV Sets, I'd get seams appearing when painting over some texture borders (on Beta12).

• Advanced Member

Are you using UV tiles?

no whats that?

so i ticked that option on import and it appears to have removed the seams from what i can tell initially HOWEVER ... when i import a normal-map onto my model it is only appearing on one side of the mesh....

do i need all my UV sets moved to fit into the same 0 to 1 UV space? currently i have the mirrored side offset by one in the right direction. 

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry Boonta about not mentioning UV tiles sooner. I even saw the model was in Maya in your bug report images and should have realized that you might have been using the Maya UV shell format. It should have dawn in my brain then...

It is possible if you put your entire uv islands in the same 0 and 1 UV space then it could work ok. Also you might be able to import in the normal fashion as well since it is all in the 0 and 1 UV space.

UV tiles are for Models that have been put in the UV shell type of format. What 3DC does upon import it will put each shell in it's own uv set for the Paint room. When you export 3DC will put the uv islands back into the UV shell format.

Now if you to go the uv room you will see the uv sets clumped together so there is no editing of them in the UV room. They are separated internally. That is the only way now for 3DC to correctly use the UV shell format.

I do not know why your normal map is incorrect. Maybe ajz3d could tell you...

Picture is the export dialog box with the exporting for uv tiles highlighted. The tooltip said Mari or Mudbox but it includes Maya as far as I know.

There is a feature request for 3DC to natively support the UV Shell format...

post-518-0-90467900-1425932086_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

So I only need one uv set. I'm not needing to split things up but I can confirm that moving all shells to a single 0 to 1 space (i.e. mirrored uv shells are on top of each other in the uv window) and ticking UV tiles gives a seamless result in 3dcoat with normal map applied.

strange how this wasn't an issue in 4.1.17 beta though...

• Advanced Member

So i always would import a PSD via import layers color  that contained several layers ... a AO bake.. a cavity... and a normal map bake. I would set the normal map to be a "normal map" via the blending mode drop down. in 4.5 this doesnt work and creates seams. however if i import a normal map via the import normal map option it doesnt create a seam.

edit: compression really makes it hard to see my point via the image

post-37758-0-59394800-1426139934_thumb.j

Edited by Boonta

• Reputable Contributor

This is open beta, fill out a mantis bug report like you have been doing and send the file to Andrew inside of 3DC. Top menu---- Help---- send file to support(at)3dcoat.com

Let Andrew know in the bug report you sent him the file... There are a number of beta bugs he is working through, looks like might be another one...

I will ask again how did you install the beta version. It must be done in a certain fashion or that will cause problems as well. Please be specific here...

Andrew prefers open betas vs close betas. We get to test the latest and greatest but as with all betas some bugs get in or some things that were working get broken...

I run both 4.1.17D and the beta...

It is late AM after midnight late and I might have mention the above before...  :wacko:  :blink:

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

a mantis thread already exists 

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1808

accidentally its filed under 4.1 though as far as projects go  :/   and is sitting as "new" like most reports i assume he is a busy man. 

a) are 4.1 bugs still looked at?

B) can you move issues in the 4.1 project in mantis to the 4.5 one?

the beta version was installed via the installer... the only thing i did differently was change the install directory to have  4.5 at the end instead of 4. fresh install of beta 11 with beta 13A installed over the top. (issue was present in beta 11 so its not like the update changes anything)

• Reputable Contributor

If the bug is in the beta it will be looked at but Andrew puts all the fixes in the betas... That is his way...

If I am reading your right, you did not rename the 3DC folder under Documents and Settings or wherever Windows 8.1 puts that stuff now. Linux user here. You just installed the beta to a different directory (folder).

The official old version up to 4.1.17D can not share the same folder under Documents and Settings with the beta version. Your beta version is corrupted and the official version too.

Before the PBR beta you could use the same folder under Documents and Settings.

If the above is true, this is what you must do...

Un-install the beta and the official version or whichever version you are using.

Manually remove the 3DC folder under Documents and Settings. The un-install routine does not remove it.

Now install the non-beta version... Of course you will lose your settings and have to register again. Now you have a clean non-beta version.

If you want to run the PBR beta plus the official continue reading.

First under Documents and Settings, rename the 3DC folder, just add a few letters to the name or whatever tells you this is the non beta version.

Install the Beta to a different directory like you did before. It will create a new default 3DC folder under Documents and Settings but not overwrite the one you renamed.

Now you have a Clean Beta...

Whenever you want to run the non-beta version, rename the PBR beta 3DC folder under Documents and settings to something that tells you it is the beta folder.

Rename the non-beta 3DC version folder to the default name.

Now you can run the old version without PBR.

Yes, it is a small hassle but that is how it is done because PBR just handles things completely different in some areas. The versions are incompatible with each other.

You can choose to just keep running the non-beta version till PBR officially comes out or just run the Beta and go from there and not hassle with the renaming..

plus making sure you do not run the wrong one without renaming the folders. Then you would have to do the whole process over again.

Linux is quick... I can get to my Home folder in a bat of an eye... Rename the folders and run which version I want, beta or non-beta...

Edited by digman