3DCoat Forums

Vector Flow option for Material painting ( and sculpting)

pooby

I've recently got back into 3d Coat and find 4.5's PBR to be excellent and straightforward.

However, its not always easy (in any painting package) to paint the flow of bark along a tree, or anything organic that has a flow.. Skin, Fur, etc even Rock Strata. its not fun to constantly fiddle with rotating an image manually to align it.

A couple of years ago I developed this in ICE. It 'instances' or texture bombs, an image along a surface, aligning it to a pre calculated vector flow. ( in this particular case directed by curves)

and

The Vector flow can be automated so you just pick a start point and it calculates the flow across the object. as seen here

which would make texturing a tree totally easy as you'd just pick the base, and the flow would travel naturally up the tree.. meaning you could paint bark that aligns correctly all the way up to the tips of the branches.

It would also be vital to have an option to art direct the flow with a flow brush, or even Curves.

I hope you will consider putting this in 3D Coat as I think it would give it a unique advantage for painting.

• Like 2