3DCoat Forums

doodles

erklaerbar

• Advanced Member

You can use PicMat shader ball textures in FX tree, see descriptions here:

http://www.kai-wolter.com/resources/kp_postmaterial

Same idea can be applied to MatCap shaders as well,

all you have to do is rendering shaders using the default sphere(it's better to turn off shadow before rendering)

then crop and save the images as square-sized textures.

hope this helps,

akira.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

3dioot, thank you!

Akira, thanks a lot for your advice. Its just, i havent ever dealt yet with fxtree... I guess i will just keep using the grayball node for matcaps then, which renders very fast anyway. That way I can stay in rendertree, which is a lot more familiar to me :)

PS: sorry for the late reply... Im such a lazy bone sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

thanks guys, although i must admit that 3DC did most of the dirty work for me. I just sculpted a small element from a cube primitive which was then arrayed with axial symmetries. Im not quite sure yet if i will retopo, since i realised that XSI doesnt crash on me when i import the 10 Mios in split pieces and it renders reasonably fast too.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
decimated with decimation master to 1 mio polies

Something like this should actually look equally good at 5-10000 polys as all flat areas could be sufficiently described with just one mesh-face.

How good is decimation master - can you press it down really low and still yield reasonable results?

ggaliens, the mesh is from 3dcoat, directly exported as object. In Zbrush you can drop a model to the canvas and just paint your materials over it. Very fast and flexible, this is quite unique to Zbrush.

I am curious that you are using 3DC with zBrush... I would have thought that if you owned zBrush (and got past it's weired interface enough to use it!) that you would have no need for 3DC's features. (Except, perhaps, its retopolozing tools)

Are there some things you find 3C does so much better than zBrush that you choose to use it instead? For example, are voxels that much better than zBrush's sculpting?

• Advanced Member

polyxo, youre absolutely right. I wanted to be on the safe side though, and 1 mio is just fine for rendering a still image. I think DM makes a pretty good job in decimating heavily. However I must admit I have no experience with other decimation tools, so I cant compare really.

GED, thank you. Although it takes quite a long time in 3dc too :blink: Its mainly the waiting/calculation time for the tools that adds to the time

MarkG, i like 3DC primarily for Voxels. Per pixel painting is quite funny too, I never use microvertex however. I understand 3DC and ZB as compagnions and wouldnt want to miss either of them tbh. In my current workflow its usually low and mid details in 3DC and small details and sculpting tasks on top of it in Zbrush.

howitzer, thank you!

SonK, thank you! I try to get a decent XSI render together but having issues withg hair <_<

PS, next one: ZB sculpting +3DC voxel freedom

post-1281-1244555341_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

About Decimation Master: I decimated this direct export from voxels down to 16k polygons - from roughly 3mio. I can go down to 5k but after that it starts to show missing corners. For a background mesh you could go down to 2k with this mesh.

post-1281-1244559635_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Some nice High level of work here, I especially like the geometrics, Nicely rendered and perfect hard surface. The Sculpture of the slab and creature coming from it is very nice also.

• Advanced Member

thank you, LJB!

a XSI render without color of the dragon:

post-1281-1246011466_thumb.jpg

PS: Does anyone here have experience with printing/casting of 3d models? I would love to try to print a sculpture and have it cast in metal. But I dont really understand the process, despite the fact that i have already read a lot about it. Some advice from someone with real world experience in the field would be awesome!

• Like 1

Danke Dir, Taros!

Jo, wir sind quasi Nachbarn. Wohne in Z?rich. Aus welcher Ecke in DE kommst denn Du?

Gruss

The dragon looks very nice. I like the material.

> Hey, prima. Zuerich? Hui, naja bin "fast um die Ecke." Komme aus Deutschland, aus dem schoenen Muensterland. Wohne naehe Muenster, das ist noerdlich von Dortmund. PS: Als Softimage-User lade ich Dich hiermit gerne in unser XSI-Forum ein, zu finden unter http://www.xsiforum.de. Es tummelt sich alles aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum, also viele aus D A CH. :)

Be creative

Chris

• 1 month later...