3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Yeah SVG support is really great, i am thinking it would be really cool if they could be used for other things also.

For example there is a blender addon that allows vector textures -

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117889

I can imagine something like that for textures so you can scale it however you want and the details are never distorted or for masks and always get a sharp edge etc.

Hi, testing 3.5.13

System: Windows 7 64-bit / Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / 12GB

Bugs:

1. Voxel sculpting - Symmetry plane location shifts when ALT+TABing to other software

Steps:

- Create voxel sphere

- Toggle x symmetry on

- Sculpt

- Move cursor away from center of sphere but keep it over voxels

- ALT+TAB to Opera (for example or at least happens with it) and ALT+TAB back at one go

- Symmetry plane shifts to cursor location where it was before ALT+TAB, ruining center line aligned painting

- Happens here every time

2. Perspective - vanishing point is not aligned to viewport center

- Perspective should be aligned to visible viewport center, not affected by panels (or at least it looks like that)

- Perspective center seems to be to right of viewport center with default layout

• Advanced Member

I found minor bugs so far Andrew, but also great improvements. I'll keep this last build for my work. "accepted" :):yahoo: lol

Depth painting was never better!

I'll keep asking for a DOF 16bit map output from rendering room. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

Yes, there's an issue, but it is stable under OSX. It doesn't stop counting samples (just esc after 320) but works on 2x 4x resolutions (stops at 220 LOL). On real time preview, refreshing is tricky but this is happening on last 10-20 builds. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

What the hell happened to the Linux version????

When I start 3DC I am presented with the "Please choose a tool to start" dialog, I choose a voxel sphere and no voxel sphere is created, there is just a cross where it should be and then if I change to another room I get the "Please choose a tool to start" dialog box appearing again and when I close it it again reappears when I change to another room. If I select a voxel cube then change it to a sphere and apply, it again is not created. If I create a cylinder then try to use any tool on it all I get is big square hole in it as I paint on it.

This is critical!!!

v3.5.13A Linux CUDA

Also, the symmetry plane is not automatically scaled to the size of the object, it is small and inside the object.

If I open a voxel sculpt made from an earlier version (3.5.12A) and try to paint a tool on it like the carve, clay, smooth or any other all it does is cause the surface to disappear in holes with every paint stroke.

This version is a disaster!!!!

T.

• Reputable Contributor

What the hell happened to the Linux version????

When I start 3DC I am presented with the "Please choose a tool to start" dialog, I choose a voxel sphere and no voxel sphere is created, there is just a cross where it should be and then if I change to another room I get the "Please choose a tool to start" dialog box appearing again and when I close it it again reappears when I change to another room. If I select a voxel cube then change it to a sphere and apply, it again is not created. If I create a cylinder then try to use any tool on it all I get is big square hole in it as I paint on it.

This is critical!!!

v3.5.13A Linux CUDA

Also, the symmetry plane is not automatically scaled to the size of the object, it is small and inside the object.

If I open a voxel sculpt made from an earlier version (3.5.12A) and try to paint a tool on it like the carve, clay, smooth or any other all it does is cause the surface to disappear in holes with every paint stroke.

This version is a disaster!!!!

T.

Can you try to disable CUDA in the voxel menu and then try it?

• Advanced Member

I have no idea what happened, but after a reboot all is working in 3DC, I have never had this problem with any other program, its as if something went astray with the OGL, but it only affected 3DC, so now to get down to some testing...

T.

• Advanced Member

Seems to take a very long time, (after 20mins still not done yet), to bucket fill a colour to either a layer or the material, the process also effects the other programs running on the Desktop and even the mouse.

T.

• Advanced Member

Problems only occurred when I merged to the scene (MV) with too high polygon count, the computer locked up for periods of time, it looked as if 3DC was swapping out to Hard drive, there is a small amount going on when running with 17 million polygons, mainly with saving and opening and Bucket filling (which only uses one cpu).

T.

• Advanced Member

Sounds like an impossible big polycount.

Yep, went up to 100million polygons to utilise the 8K map and all hell broke loose, dropped it down to 17million polygons and went with a 4K map instead and things were much better, although the bucket fill tool was still seriously slow, probably because of using only 1 cpu thread (core).

T.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I think you should seriously look up to find the reasons of the brush lag at the end of a stroke, here in ppp mode with large textures.

(You've made some serious progresses in voxel sculpting brush speed and lag but eventually it always comes back in heavy scenes.)

Back to the ppp room, here I have an 8k x 8k texture and 8 layers. All of the layers are pretty much full of content. Meaning a lot of mem is used (about 10GB).

The mesh is about 220k tri, and the overall update is a solid 60 fps, so no problem there.

The brush lag (end of stroke) is really annoying, starting at 1/2 second when starting the application and going up to 1 second after some time.

I really think it is related to the amount of stuff in memory as when working with smaler textures and less/empty layers the lag is non existant.

Sorry to insist on the matter, but this is a sculpting/painting app after all and a lag-free brush is of the utmost importance if you want to grab some serious pro market.

Cheers,

Franck.

3dcoat 3.5.13A CUDA GL64

2x Xeon 5450 32GB RAM

GTX285 2GB VRAM

• Advanced Member

Cool, I wasn't sure as the avatar said Neophyte, but now I see its changed to Developer, anyway Sergyi the main problem is with bucket filling, it seems to take forever, I could paint it by hand in less time. I found out the hard way that going over 20million polygons was not so good, the whole system became hard to control, especially when saving etc, not to worry, its all part of the learning curve.

T.

;)

I still have no idea what status should be assigned to 3.5.13. I have not understood rendering problems and see no difference with previous builds.

Please help, I need assign some status. On my personal opinion it is stable at least in comparison to all previous builds.

edit: found spacepainter's answer in other thread.

Are you on Mac/PC? Using ATI/NVidia?