3DCoat Forums

Trees generator

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member

I have in plans to copy the functionality to regular 3DC because this topic seems to be very interesting to community. Just need a correspondent moment.

Does that mean there will be a working Mac version of Tree Generator? Or will it only exist in the PC version?

It'd be really nice if we could try this on Mac as well. It's kinda like CUDA in that regard ( ;) ).

• Advanced Member

I just found out about this little gem... Andrew what a cool app...!!!!

Many thanks...

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Does that mean there will be a working Mac version of Tree Generator? Or will it only exist in the PC version?

It'd be really nice if we could try this on Mac as well. It's kinda like CUDA in that regard ( ;) ).

Agreed! I'd love to see this in the Mac version of 3DC as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

When I installed Windows 7 I lost the TreeGen app. Is there a working link so I can re-download it???

Tried prior links and they are no longer working....

Thanks

• Advanced Member

When I installed Windows 7 I lost the TreeGen app. Is there a working link so I can re-download it???

Tried prior links and they are no longer working....

Thanks

Anyone?

• Advanced Member

Anyone?

Link seems to be working today.... It wasn't working when I first asked... Honest....

• Contributor

lol...it wasn't working the other day when I tried it either, but works now, like you said...now I wish Andrew would provide us with a way that we could send him a donation at least (of whatever amount whoever felt moved to donate could afford) for such a great program as this tree generator ,,like maybe a paypal address , etc.?

I have used this to create several models, it's a great tool easy to use and with powerfull tools.

It's only one feature I'm missing. The ability to modify the pivot point in the texture leaf section.

I really hope this tool is being updated in the future.

kind regards,

Jan

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

lol...it wasn't working the other day when I tried it either, but works now, like you said...now I wish Andrew would provide us with a way that we could send him a donation at least (of whatever amount whoever felt moved to donate could afford) for such a great program as this tree generator ,,like maybe a paypal address , etc.?

What a wonderful idea...!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, I'm was lucky to read about this 'plugin' for 3DCoat Users. Whats new about this plugin? But it's quite about this, why?

This wasn't a plugin it was built into 3DC, or 3DB at the time. You just had to change part of a config file and it would appear. It does look as though Andrew has lost interest. It hasn't been updated in like, 2 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It was more of an experiment that Andrew created as a side project. it's been a couple of years so I'm sure other things have taken priority by now.

When i first tested this i thought there might be other tools like a terrain generator, rock generator, wall generator etc and then built into 3DC as plugins/labs where you can create something then make it part of the scene and sculpt it etc. If that was ever done it would be really cool i think.

But yeah i agree, it's great but not much has happened with this however it could be used for something really good in 3dc.

• Advanced Member

IMO it is a big mistake! Take a look of how many people seeking for a good tree generator at reasonnable price!

I agree. Most all the tree generation software is quite expensive. And think how much Andrew has learned developing 3DC since he last worked on Trees Generator!

I know it's a little outdated, but I still use it for projects. I had to do dozens of trees with a number of variations, and this tree generator really saved my butt.

What I envision is a shape generator in 3DC directly for voxels, using shaders for textures. And then for things like foliage a plate generator for for leaves/needles/etc., based on a black and white texture map painted by the user (as far as location of plates is concerned). This generator would be limited to just foliage, it could be used for just about anything the user decides to use the plates for (moss or mushrooms, for example).

In this way, Andrew could just let users decide what to generate based off some parameters, and could be used for various things instead of just trees.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

When i first tested this i thought there might be other tools like a terrain generator, rock generator, wall generator etc and then built into 3DC as plugins/labs

If there is ever a real SDK i think we could easily have these types of tools.

For example while not in voxel form blender has everything i listed above as 3rd party addons and many more generators also for things like shapes, steps and trees etc. So it would be amazing to have the same thing with 3dc for voxels also plus with voxels the results could be a lot more realistic but there could be a drop down to set that also to use ultra-detailed for renders or low res for games etc.

If there is ever a real SDK i think we could easily have these types of tools.

For example while not in voxel form blender has everything i listed above as 3rd party addons and many more generators also for things like shapes, steps and trees etc. So it would be amazing to have the same thing with 3dc for voxels also plus with voxels the results could be a lot more realistic but there could be a drop down to set that also to use ultra-detailed for renders or low res for games etc.

Hey! Exactly, sorry I didn't see your original post. Definitely agree, something like this would be really cool.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...