3DCoat Forums

Smart materials that applies to other 3d models as well.

Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Greetings to all

you all know how excited i am with 3d coat.

I use it in all of my projects and its a standard in my pipeline.

I recommend it to everyone i speak and always say the very best.

But i also gives me issues big and unsolved issues.

One of the biggest is that i create a material , i paint a 3d model get a final look and then client want the rest of the 3d models to look the same.

It just cant be done at the moment and that forces me to switch to SD and SP , client sees the difference and rejects it.

For example we have 2 chairs both with metal , wood , and leather , it just cant get the same in 3d coat only in SD and SP.

I cant even get a material to look the same in other 3d models like here

So what i ask and sooner or later everybody else will ask is 

We create a material by 

1)Custom materials (pbr material / smart material  from the pre made ones applied to a layer)

then 

2) Mixing layers with different values and different pbr materials applied to them and settings.

Now can we have a button that takes those layers and the materials assigned to them and creates a new material?

Or re apply everything from those layers to another 3d model , with fill object or something , create a preset something.....

(Just like SP has right click create new smart material)

Please do something its causing issues in my pipeline and SP and SD cant get me the same quality as 3dc.

I trust in you as always.

P.S

I do understand that SP and SD are based in procedural materials , i simply ask to have the option to apply the same layers to another imported 3d model.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

This is the very thing  I said to myself and I don't understand how 3D coat has not had this in it from day 1 :excl: .Heck  I would just like to be able to see what materials I have used on each layer ( or a history of all) .I don't know how anyone can reproduce a different model with the same materials used on it? You should have all materials used on a object/model saved with it not on it. Your layers Mixing would be awesome tool to have but I would 1st like to see what is in the layers that you are about to be mixed. I had posted a SP thread to see if it does just what your saying keeps a list of what materials used as you work I will buy it just for that alone. I am just a weekend warrior I can just imagine if your job depended on it. To me this should be a Basic 101 thing heck I think my old Ray Dream Studio 5.5 had it...(Hierarchy mode) dang I am old. I bought a 486 DX computer for $2000 at a computer show just to do 3d stuff. Oh and to play Quake   :)  . Seams like most software keeps forging ahead with the latest greatest and never takes time to look at it strip it down to take care of  the core items needed. Right now I am trying to figure out why my Blender RGB  #s  don't produce the same color in 3dcoat as to get the exact same colors. Blender has  sRGB  which among other color management settings 3dcoat has none. What does SP use ?

+1 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes i agree , this is a must.

Right now we can reproduce anything and takes all the power of prb to absolute zero.

Here is a post that explains about sp

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=3758.0

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Hey Michaelgdrs thanks for the post about SP that explained a lot and is very informative saved me weeks of looking around. that will sure fill up my note book. Wes sure knows his stuff . another guy that knows his stuff is Bartek Skorupa  on tutsplus.com   .mostly blender and compositing

• Like 1