3DCoat Forums

BugBackToad

SonK

• Advanced Member
Looks good! I think that ambient occlusion will grow the naturality, also sharp ring-like details could be add on the tale. Of cause specularity should be add.

It could be interesting see how it looks with another camera position.

thanks i'll try to add AO and Specular map, but i decide to start painting from scratch with a 4096 X 4096 resolution. Here it is from different angle. Base cage created in Modo, sculpting in Mudbox.

currentgenwa6.jpg

• Advanced Member
WOW! now can you do that in 3DB? ;)

Here it is in 3d-brush: specular, diffuse, AO and normal map :lol:

bugbackqs6.jpg

I'll start painting tomorrow. more updates later.

@Andrew your AO baking is faster then Modo's and it comes out smoother too , great job!

• Advanced Member

Anything i can do to improve the texturing? You can see how many layers i use. Andrew you have a beautiful piece of software..i can never get good texturing results from any other application on the market!

bugbackwh7.jpg

• Advanced Member
Good!

I think you can in addition try fill tool with random spheres or fractals. I think you can get something cool using these tools.

Good advice, i tried using a fractal on it and it added some nice additional details. I'm sure there is a way to fill the fractal base on a lasso(or curve) , but i haven't search thru the documentation yet. I've been just filling the whole layer with the fractal procedural:

toadzy7.jpg

I also updated the zip file, with this new diffuse map, a better tangent space normal map, added a world space normal map, 16-bit displacement map(for offline rendering). The download link is in the top post.

• Advanced Member

Good work.Also the concept is very interesting, frog-o-spider thingy :rolleyes:

What more, i think that some hair on spider's legs would make this (already good) model really great and moody. Plus i'd add some wrinkles to the boody, to make the skin mor bumpy and detailed. Here i uploaded a few interesting animal skin textures, maybe you can use some of them for detailing skin of this guy :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3gc1ujdbxs2

• Advanced Member
Nice model Sonk!!

thanks! means alot coming from you, i love your frog model, it inspired me to not give up on texturing my model.

Good work.Also the concept is very interesting, frog-o-spider thingy :rolleyes:

What more, i think that some hair on spider's legs would make this (already good) model really great and moody. Plus i'd add some wrinkles to the boody, to make the skin mor bumpy and detailed. Here i uploaded a few interesting animal skin textures, maybe you can use some of them for detailing skin of this guy :)

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?3gc1ujdbxs2" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?3gc1ujdbxs2</a>

yukon, thanks for the amazing texture! they'll be very useful in the future. Your absolutely right about the hair, some hair on the legs would really bring it to life! and some of the front of the head. Using a polygon with texturing painting with alpha channel would do the trick. The only problem with hair is, the triangle count would go up alot.

I was thinking about adding more wrinkles before i started sculpting, but i didn't want to go too far from the concept art. Maybe i'll do a future version with more wrinkles once Mudbox 2.0 is release.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow, this has to be the longest Work in Progress in the history of 3DCG? lol Anyway, i have to hand it to Andrew he did a awesome job on per pixel painting in 3.0 and in conjunction with a cheap Wacom bamboo tablet i manage to put something much better together. Diffuse texture is still WIP, but C&C are welcome:

toadv2.jpg

SSAO, DOF, Tone Mapping. Initial sculpting done in Mudbox 2009, then brought over to 3DC for adding extra detail to the normal maps. Texturing done entirely in 3DCoat alpha 75 , Photoshop was used for layer adjustment(nothing else). I use 3DC alpha because it had the right feature set; layer blending, a pretty good brush engine(though smear tool is too slow to use) and it's stamp/stencil work with symmetry unlike Mudbox 2009.

• Contributor
Wow, this has to be the longest Work in Progress in the history of 3DCG? lol Anyway, i have to hand it to Andrew he did a awesome job on per pixel painting in 3.0 and in conjunction with a cheap Wacom bamboo tablet i manage to put something much better together. Diffuse texture is still WIP, but C&C are welcome:

toadv2.jpg

SSAO, DOF, Tone Mapping. Initial sculpting done in Mudbox 2009, then brought over to 3DC for adding extra detail to the normal maps. Texturing done entirely in 3DCoat alpha 75 , Photoshop was used for layer adjustment(nothing else). I use 3DC alpha because it had the right feature set; layer blending, a pretty good brush engine(though smear tool is too slow to use) and it's stamp/stencil work with symmetry unlike Mudbox 2009.

Admirably grotesque! :clapping:

Excellent frog !! or whatever it should be ^_^

really a big improvement you did on that texture. I agree with daniel , more specular to make it more wet will certainly add teh final touch for this model

:good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
That's really cool Sonk! You did a great job sculpting the forms and I really like the texture.Is this your original creation?What inspired you?

Good luck with the Intel contest!

The model is base on this concept art by Anthony Francisco:

beeman01colorspike.th.jpg

Its from their(Intel) game call Project Offset.

I'm not quite happy with the belly texture, it could be better :mellow:

edit: also for inspiration check out: http://www.creaturespot.com/

• Advanced Member
Well done!

It is interesting how it looks using 3DC render? Light AO+soft shadows+some DOF.

I had some problems with the renderer in alpha 86, i posted a picture of the issue in the 3.0 alpha thread. Once that gets fix i'll do some renders in 3DC and post them.