3DCoat Forums

doodles

erklaerbar

• Advanced Member

Can you tell us more about what parts were done in 3DCoat and what parts in ZBrush ???

If is VOXEL based and made in 3DCoat ... how do you do the selections to add surfacing properties

such as color, specularity, etc .... after the fact.

Please give us more details on the whens and hows of your workflow.

We want to try it.

VERY COOL MODEL, BTW.

• Contributor
thank you :mellow:

artman, i have not received a PM. Maybe something went wrong with sending? I certainly hope that is not the last voxel doodle :)

hmm...strange.Maybe I'm not allowed to send pms.

I was just asking if you would allow me to use one of your zb shaders in 3DC :unsure:

some are looking very nice in 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

Right ... but surely you paint BEFORE you clone your object around into the

interesting layout you have ??? Else some painting efforts would be redundent,

right ??? I guess you did that cloning in ZBrush after painting one instance ???

Sorry ... I'm very cuirous. I don't have Zbrush.

• Advanced Member
;) the shape was done entirely in voxels too, using the voxtree option "apply axial symmetry". So in short i didnt paint anything in 3dcoat as i cant do UVs on the (NOT quadangulated) mesh. I just exported it to Zbrush with, cough, 5 mio polygons. There you can paint materials on your mesh based on polygons, of which you have enough with 5 mio polygons. Or you can directly paint on the canvas once you dropped your model onto it, hope that clarifies things a bit

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

tree321, youre welcome and thank you!

Andrew, thank you!

artman, thank you! I was just trying out the wall spline and got drawn away :rolleyes:

Im trying to do some workflow tests with Zbrush and XSI. For anyone interested i will summarize the steps and issues found in the process.

As a start I did a voxel sculpt with the tools supplied in the latest alpha v54.

post-1281-1233889742_thumb.jpg

Lessons learnt:

1) Try to keep different objects on their own layers with individual resolution settings. I made different layers for the eyes, horns, teeth and so on.

2) I tried to capture the overall form but no small details. This should faciliate the retopo. This will be the next step.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

cool voxel sculpt are you going to bake a normal map onto the retopod mesh?

I also found that its wise to keep seperate object layers, for my winnie the pooh I had eyes on one layer and shirt on another and arm and leg on their own layers too

• Advanced Member

thank you GED! :) No, in fact I managed to get the high poly voxel details onto the quadrangulated mesh and export it with multiple levels. No normal maps yet.

I had full success quadrangulating all parts and reprojecting the voxel details onto it. I used quadrangulate standard settings (1 mio poly/ smooth:15). I had projection issues in 3dcoat with thin or complicated meshes (exploding verts/projection against internal parts). Im not sure if the problem is the projection or the autoUVs. However if I just export both low poly and raw voxel mesh I can do projection in Zbrush, which is painless. In fact it works like a charm in Zbrush, you just need to append the high poly mesh as subtool to the low poly one. Then subdivide the low poly and hit project all subtools et voila!

With more simple meshes its even faster, you can do quick UVs in 3DC or outside and merge to scene. Then export a high poly version and reconstruct subdivision in Zbrush, so you get the multiple subdivision levels back down to the quadrangulation level.

Ergo: Very convincing and fast transfer of voxel meshes (including multiple SD levels) to Zbrush is possbile. You only need to keep in mind to use different voxel layers for different voxel objects.

I have attached the lowest and highest Zbrush SD level as an image to illustrate things:

post-1281-1233955320_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

It looks awesome. Nice style too. :)

The only thing that jumps out at me is that the scales along the mouth near the front of his snouth look somewhat less polished then the ones around the eye area. They look a little undefined and very spacious. Maybe add a few little ones along them so they blend better with the rest of his snout?

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Akira, thank you! Love your picmat shader, must get my head around how to get it working with XSI.

Andrew, thank you!

Artman, thank you! Felt more like starting the diffuse map, not in modelling mood right now :rolleyes: good thing is that im not constrained to any restricting order to get things done.

post-1281-1234382457_thumb.jpg