3DCoat Forums

Mudbox AppLink

Wayne RObson

• Applink Developer

3D-Coat / Mudbox applink 1.0 is here!

Hi! everyone. I wasen't sure that do I see this day ever but it's here. mudbox applink v1.0 is out. It should be easy to use but here is a quick

video that shows how to use it.

https://secure.vimeo.com/38626069

here are the installers:

Win 64 / 2012 SAP1

Mudbox-SAP.rar

Win 64 / Student,Trial

Mudbox-Student_Trial.rar

Special thanks to pilgway group. They are really amazing to work with. Also thanks to AbnRanger. There was couple major issues that I couldn't have solved without

him. but enjoy with this new plugin :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Haikalle, that did it!

I just sent a mesh out of mud for a quick auto retop, and have to say this is an absolutely fantastic workflow, thanks a TON for making this! Keep up the great work! Wow this opens so many new doors...

If I encounter any bugs I will be sure to report them. Consider me one of your beta test guinea pigs :)

- Bill

• Applink Developer

Hi! Quick question. Does anyone knows if mudbox supports vertex colors. I have tried to do some searching but I don't find anything about the topic.

I would like to try to add vertex color support for mudbox applink but it seams that it's not possible...

• Reputable Contributor

Hi! Quick question. Does anyone knows if mudbox supports vertex colors. I have tried to do some searching but I don't find anything about the topic.

I would like to try to add vertex color support for mudbox applink but it seams that it's not possible...

I don't think so, but the biggest problem is what I outlined in that video. problems with the naming convention of the texture files. 3D Coat has it's own convention and it would be nice if the applink could switch the naming convention to 3D Coat's on import and vice versa, on export. Right now it's a big pain to use the two apps together, for this reason.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi DreamboxDigital! 

I haven't updated the script for long time. Are you saying that the plugin dosen't work with mudbox 2015?? If this is the case I can take a look what's wrong.

Also if you have good ideas how to improve the plugin, I'm open for it. But my time right is limited so I can't promise anything thou :)

Edited by haikalle

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Well, Mudbox 2015 gives an error on startup after placing your script in the /plugins directory, so maybe it needs recompiled for 2015?

Mudbox::LoadPlugins: Failed to load the following plugin(s):

C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Mudbox 2015/plugins/ApplinkBeta.mp

This is with the attachment that you posted, and also the installer file from the main Applinks page: same result.

Transferring polygons (on layers) between the two apps is all I personally need for conceptual 3d work, though I suppose preserving mudbox/3dc paint layers and UV channels would be desired if I was doing more painting: your plugin may already do this flawlessly, but I have used it for quick geometry transfers/retopology between the two programs.  UV work in 3d-coat makes perfect sense after quick retopology.  The option to paint in either app can be a personal choice so long as data is not lost in the transfer.  My feature requests are more on the geometry/UV side of things, as I would use Mudbox to paint with.

Many thanks for all you've done with it!  Let me know if I can help test or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Suddenly, this Applink seems pretty important to me. Going to try to switch to using Mudbox and 3ds Max for most of my asset creation > Texturing work. I'm just totally exhasperated with 3D Coat's Merging to the Paint Room baking. Sometimes it works pretty good, and other times it wants to fight. I don't need more stress added to my work day. But there are some areas of the app that I can still use, such as the UV tools, and maybe the Texture Painting, but getting texture maps to Mudbox is a real pain in the bum...using this applink. It requires a lot of workarounds because of the naming conventions used in both apps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi! I have started to work with mudbox applink again. Mudbox misses many nice features that 3D-Coat has, like CutOff tool so my main goal is to make applink to transfer objects between these two
programs that I could use best part from those programs. My main goal is to work only with object data transfer and leave textures for the future. I code these for reason because I need this in my workflow
but if there is someone else interested here in forum, please let me know and I keep this topic updated.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2018 at 2:18 AM, haikalle said:

Hi! I have started to work with mudbox applink again. Mudbox misses many nice features that 3D-Coat has, like CutOff tool so my main goal is to make applink to transfer objects between these two
programs that I could use best part from those programs. My main goal is to work only with object data transfer and leave textures for the future. I code these for reason because I need this in my workflow
but if there is someone else interested here in forum, please let me know and I keep this topic updated.

HI, is the deveopment for the applink dead? Does anyone know what version of mudbox is supported by the app provided on the official website?

• 2 years later...