3DCoat Forums

Straight UV's?

Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

I've had a quick search around and couldn't see any solution, apologies if this functionality does exist.

I was wondering if there was a way to straighten UV's by edges? For example if I have a full face unwrapped, I'd like it to be aligned perfectly on the unwrap. In other applications you could select a single edge (or loop) that was relatively straight, and force that edge to straighten, thus also rotating the entire uv island/shell with it. Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

post-28483-0-74850200-1412864838_thumb.j

Edit

Might be worth noting, the result on the left is from 3dc, I did try rotating the shell manually as best I could, but evidently I failed quite badly. Not to mention that manually rotating is never going to be 100% exact.

Edited by Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

Hey,carlosan. Ah, no I've never used the UV room.

To my understanding though, the only way to get something in the UV room is to either import it, or do it after the bake process? So to use this feature in a "regular" 3dc pipeline I'd need to do something like: Sculpt > Retopo > Export low poly > Import > UV room > Export again > Import to Retopo room > Bake

Or

Sculpt > Retopo > Unwrap (in retopo) > Bake > Re-unwrap in UV room > ... err, re-bake? I'm not sure.

Obviously I'd need to have my unwrap done before the bake. Am I making sense, or rambling like a crazy person?

As an aside, I just went to check the feature in the UV room and it unfortunately does not do what I'm looking for. That option forces selected edges to be vertical, but only affects the edges you select. What I'm looking for is a way to rotate the entire cluster based on an edge selection. Here's some images to better describe it:

3d coat:

Green line = edge loop that I forced to be vertical. Red lines = the cluster stays in its initial rotation.

post-28483-0-37616600-1412989942_thumb.j

3ds Max:
And here's an example of an "Align to edge" feature. Notice that it rotates the entire cluster, which in this example would cause it to be perfectly symmetrical (because the geometry is)

post-28483-0-97376500-1412990341_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Hey AbnRanger,

Yeah I had considered that, but I couldn't find a way to enable the 2d snapping, or any kind of accurate alignment within a UV window. I know how to use it to transform overlays and the like (as the video shows) but unfortunately that's not what I'm looking for.

Not the end of the world though, as tedious as it is I think I'll just export my retopo before the bake, correct my UV's in another program and then bring it back in to 3dc for baking.

• 4 months later...