3DCoat Forums

[Adult] Female nude in voxels

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Without using any image planes or tracing I thought I'd just mess around and create a female anatomy figure entirely in 3d Coat, casually referring to some anatomy books for certain details I was uncertain about but basically working freely.

BTW I'm getting old and I can't remember if I posted this before. If I have then apologies.

XME70um.jpg

zbWkUeq.jpg

bssJPc2.jpg

QTujZvm.jpg

9h39Bpe.jpg

Cu0ehnL.jpg

m2oqfEb.jpg

JxC1UwE.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

• Contributor

I'm even older and can't remember you having made this fine contribution to your oeuvre so please continue. 

The thumb does look a little small in relation to the fingers.

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Advanced Member

I'm even older and can't remember you having made this fine contribution to your oeuvre so please continue. 

The thumb does look a little small in relation to the fingers.

Thanks, I worried about that but wasn't too sure. Will work on the thumb size

The Curve tool is a very important tool. I'm finding that I'm using it more and more. 

uZFXbKD.jpg

In my opinion 3d Coat  Curves are superior to Zbrush Zsphere modeling. I particularly like the way you can click on their nodes and flatten or lengthen them as you work, which I just discovered last week.

Fa6nVzo.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Oh wait, I get it; you can't change the light angle in orthogonal view, only in perspective view.

The hard thing about doing women is that with men you only have to deal with bone and muscle, a difficult enough task, but with women you have dainty bones, subtle muscles and it's all covered with a layer of baby fat, so you can only suggest structures that are obvious  in a man. But then, it's more fun contemplating women even though they're perplexing right down to their physical structure.  :D

oHtgRxj.jpg

If only, if only Andrew had his own alternative to fibremesh hair. And it was better than the one in Zbrush. :)  And it could easily be better than Zbrush because sculpting in 3d Coat is far superior to sculpting in Zbrush.

I tried some sculpting in Zbrush and do you know what really ruins it? Adjusting the brush size and strength as you work. 3d coat you can adjust the brush's size and strength on the fly but with Zbrush you have to stop and hit the space bar and refer to the marking menu. Once you're used to the effortless way of doing it in 3d Coat it's a pain in the ass to do it the Zbrush way.

Still in voxels, 1.5 million 

I can multiply that by 10 and still be running smoothly

I'll go to Surface mode when it's time to really get into the details of the face the hands and the feet.

DPLj1mk.jpg

I've got lots of plans for this figure in terms of learning new skillsets;

1. Skin texturing..never done that yet

2. Eyes...I've too been hesitant (read lazy)  to take them on. I'm intimidated.

3. Hair. I played a bit with Zbrush Fibermesh last night and OMG it's awesome.

4. I've been studying rigging and weighting skin and this skill will really open up a lot of artistic paths in the future. It's going to be very cool to rig this lady and pose her

5. Creating clothing, footwear for her. Can't wait. I haven't done this on a figure yet. Should be a lot of fun both in sculpting with extracting surfaces and in using different cloth textures.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Took the three leg pieces as far as they'd go separately then fused them this morning mostly with the Fill Tool. Spent the morning working on the knee anatomy, and added the shin ridge of the tibia with Airbrush and Curve Stroke for the length. Filled the outer hollow this made with the Fill tool and then just smoothed the inner ridge to finish the shin. Now onto the foot.

i8fSEPJ.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Will each toe require it's own volume to avoid runaway toe jam? Can't really splay them like fingers.

They will start out as individuals but will be all fused into one body. As far rigging goes there'll just be one "toe" rig for them all.

I think I must do about 60-70% of my modeling with the Move tool. Every day I work with it, I learn how to get more out of it and how easy it is to pull pieces together for a later merge. It's sort of a hard concept to realize just how fluid a seemingly solid rather angular voxel object is.

Cleitus, one of the real masters of 3d Coat really showed the way with this Move tool. He really impressed me with his skillful  use of ti.

• Advanced Member

All that's left to do with this stage of the scupt is merge the toes with the bodyand do some touch ups there  and then transform the entire body to surface mode for a more detailed sculpt with a variable density of mesh that'll allow me to really work on detailed parts like the face hands and feet.

Oh and I have to say again; I really love the new render engine in 3D Coat. Thanks Andrew.

dE8ptO4.jpg   skKISc7.jpg

Vkq5vTF.jpg      N1ATYdU.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

With this one I thought I'd take the trouble to give her a mouth cavity for the separate teeth object

It's so much faster to split a body in half and then clone it with symmetry  to rebuild the  deleted half than in a program like Maya or Modo.

I'm going to give her far more finished teeth than this. Right now I've just got a placeholder in there.

hbpkvTL.jpg

stJ5QEr.jpg

VKXqLte.jpg

• Advanced Member

I've been thinking about how to approach the eyes in this project and frankly just slapping some photo of the iris down as a texture really doesn't do it for me. The Iris has this very mysterious complex structure.

Based on the close up photo alone I started playing with curves laid down in symmetry on a torus bisected with a boolean cone. Obviously this result is really rough but it's proof of concept, that given enough work in layering and manipulating and assigning materials you could get very subtle complex eyes..

post-3590-0-83882900-1432064023_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-69946100-1432064052_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-97139900-1432064073_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

This is a very rough paint job, the result of two very frustrating anxious days trying to figure out how to texture paint again but now I'm happy as the way is clear...

In the end this was 5 minutes of painting. 

axhq2BV.jpg

b0nr9KT.jpg

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17565&p=122353

nEosGMJ.jpg

• Contributor

There are some things that doesn't seem right to me in your WIP post.

• The belly button feels too big and a little bit too flat - lacking detail. Perhaps you focused too much on the details of the iris and neglected this part of the model? :D Unless you haven't touched this part of the model yet, which is all right. :)
  • There's a disproportion between the feet and the rest of the body. I'm not sure if it's just the camera angle or the feet are really so small. Maybe it's worth investigating?
  • The woman is lacking her vulva. And this I think would be the most interesting part of the model to sculpt. Not because I'm a pervert, but because most of the modern digital artists' tendency is to "comfortably forget" this little nuance. Which is ridiculous because somehow sculptors and painters of the times long past didn't have much problem with it (like Gustave Coubert in his "L'Orgine du monde" oil-painting, to name just one). Be brave, L'Ancien Regime! :) We all count on you.
    Or hell - scratch that, let's just sculpt some zombies with intestines out, crushed skulls, and blood pouring all over the floor. This should lover the rating from NC-17 to PG. :D
Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Actually I have some other problems with her physique....but that's inevitable. Part of it is "what is a correct female physique?

Artistic+Gymnastics+World+Championships+

Huge variances in the possibilities...

Also not really crazy about her forearm to upper arm attachment...lots of stuff to keep control of here..

I adjusted her hips, made them less abrupt. My MD friend is criticizing the knees...and the shoulder to hip ratio...just wrote him a letter to clarify things.

0ZJvZ5S.jpg

• Advanced Member

• Advanced Member

Here's my attempt at retopo with the ultimate intention of rigging her for at least posing if not full animation. Are there any experienced riggers out there that can correct what I'm doing here? Does it look like I've built in any topological flaws that are going to explode on me when i start weighting the skin to the rig and moving her limbs around?

7Ii7hY0.jpg

B3txMlP.jpg

I'm trying to base my edge loops off these two examples;

TEn6SG0.png

CbgA9CS.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
So this is apparently how it's supposed to be done at least as far as knee and elbow joints are concerned...the x loop

RQ37q9K.jpg

By the way, how do I get rid of that annoying point on the right?

7mTKE8x.jpg

I1zodd2.png

And x loop on the elbows 

TtvNt27.jpg
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

So are there any retopo for rigging experts that can tell me if this is an exceptable edge flow topology?

I can see there's too many step downs in one spot on the throat for one thing with six edged stars...

Got to say, I've done big manual retopos before and what a bitch it is.  :wacko: Normally working on the computer doesn't bug my eyes but this retopo stuff really has me going cross eyed.

diKkV1Q.jpg

Fu2eWvT.jpg

pqwOaMC.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

So are there any retopo for rigging experts that can tell me if this is an exceptable edge flow topology?

I can see there's too many step downs in one spot on the throat for one thing with six edged stars...

Got to say, I've done big manual retopos before and what a bitch it is.  :wacko: Normally working on the computer doesn't bug my eyes but this retopo stuff really has me going cross eyed.

Weighting your deformers will be more complicated with a large number of vertices. Save your mesh to use on other figures rather than a new retopo each time.

• Advanced Member

Weighting your deformers will be more complicated with a large number of vertices. Save your mesh to use on other figures rather than a new retopo each time.

That would be nice, Tony but one problem; a new figure will have a slightly different size and shape; how to make the existing polys  and vertices snap to the altered sculpt?

I was looking at the Tweak Room and there doesn't seem to be anything there to do that.

• Contributor

That would be nice, Tony but one problem; a new figure will have a slightly different size and shape; how to make the existing polys  and vertices snap to the altered sculpt?

I was looking at the Tweak Room and there doesn't seem to be anything there to do that.

I'd cut the retopo mesh to pieces, scale them so their size is greater than a new reference mesh - then snap those parts to the surface and stitch them back together. However 3D-Coat's retopo room isn't the most comfortable for doing this kind of work, so I'd probably do the cutting/scaling/stitching part in some 3rd party dedicated modeller and import the modified mesh back to 3D-Coat for surface snapping and some further tweaking and relaxing (in the retopo room, not the tweak room of course).

• Like 1