3DCoat Forums

Wire Crimper

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Start of a wire crimper. Shown in crimping position. Using a reference as a guide though not identical.

Knowing my skill level a hard surface model is a good way to push myself.

The crimping section plates and crimper I have not started.

Started with primitives

Tool used most often.

Clone. I use the clone as a cutting or adding tool. Once you make your "cut/add" the clone is still there and can be use again. You can make lots of cutting/adding tools with the clone feature. It makes very clean cuts or additions. I'm looking forward to experimenting more with this in the future.

A little of the plane,Cut and Clone and split tool.

Hopefully it will look very mechanical when I'm done... :blink:

Grips just shown as metal now but will be rubber.

post-518-12905363117261_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Small update. voxel/polycount so for one side is appox. 3.5 million

Added the side plates that hold the dies and the hinge wheels. Phil, it indeed would look pretty funny not being connected. :blink: I was'nt too far along when I posted the model... Hinge contecting the wheels is hidden from view in the photo.

Next is adding hexagon bolts, spring loaded die changers, a plate and the two dies...

I'm just following a photo(an angled view) by hand so I had to increase the size of the wheels some but it's still mechanical sound...

It's a heavy duty mechanical wire crimper. I saw many of these tools in my construction work days...

post-518-12906173901468_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

The hexagon nuts and washers are done, curve plate (which I notice is slightly out of position, it's on a separated layer so no problem to fix). Crimper die half way completed. The effort now will be to make the springs for the die holder and changer which is not modeled yet. After that a few minor holes to punch it and the modeling will be done. Holiday here, so work is going slow...

All work is being done using the inhouse 3DCoat tools no external imported models...

post-518-12907540603412_thumb.jpeg

This really is a nice peice of modelling, I'm surprised at how sharp the edges are, whenever I try to use 3DC for modelling I canot seem to acheive such sharpness of the edges, which is why I always go back to other modelling applications for mesh creation. I suppose I will need to look into the modelling aspect of 3DC further as I only really use it for UV and painting. This model is very impressive, nice work.

• Reputable Contributor

Well done, do you know this artist? Jim Dine

http://www.alancristea.com/collectionimages.php?a=41&g=112

Thanks all for your comments. It is continuing to be a good way for me to better my skill at handling voxels. Jim Dine, I had never heard of him before. I liked his style of color use and brush work in the tool paintings. I worked in contruction for many years so these tools are familar with me and it is funny how you can become in some ways emotionally attached to works tools as they bring back memories and good times working contruction. Now has they say in the Construction industry here " It's burning daylight" which means you better get your tail moving and get some work done and finish those darn wire crimpers... :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Tool used most often.

Clone. I use the clone as a cutting or adding tool. Once you make your "cut/add" the clone is still there and can be use again. You can make lots of cutting/adding tools with the clone feature. It makes very clean cuts or additions. I'm looking forward to experimenting more with this in the future.

A little of the plane,Cut and Clone and split tool.

Nice sharp shapes !! :blink:

this workflow looks very promising !! ^_^

ty for sharing :)

• Advanced Member

Looking great Digman!

Do you use smooth all to bevel your edges?

I use 3D coat primitives at work to model props and environments and I find that it has a ton if potential for inorganic modeling.

Can't wait to see how it progresses!

-G

• Reputable Contributor

This is an old post of an unfinished wip lost to a hard drive crash. The cut and clone and clone tools coupled with the other tools and brushes that have been added since 2010 makes 3DC a very good hard surface sculpting application.

When using the cut and clone and clone tools you have think like a tool and dye maker, a person that creates tools to use as cutters to cut metal into the desired shapes...

@ gbball , it's been along time, I do not remember about creating bevels using smoothing.... I might have just to put a little bevel to the edges. You can create bevel surfaces without using smooth as well.

• Advanced Member

That is some fine modeling/sculpting you are doing. It sounds as if you are experimenting/learning the tools as you go. That's good to know because I keep hitting blocks and getting frustrated with my sculpting. But that must be normal. Cool. I'm not alone. Anyway, beautiful hard edged sculpting.