3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Contributor

Just tried caching a 16mil layer to level 3 (x8) and used Big move brush radius for quite a few strokes and merging time was below 4 minutes.

Strokes with such a big radius like that would have generated at least 1 hour of merging time in previous way.

Huge noticable improvement.Transfer of changes done to proxy is very impressive. :good:

Export Object from voxtree is broken,Andrew tried to fix it but it didnt work.

To get matching scale with retopo export you need to export your voxel object using either

Export Scene or Export Pattern from voxtree.

(don't worry,export pattern works exactly like a normal export...you even get decimation control :) )

Sweet. Thanks Artman, it worked.

• Advanced Member

Just tried caching a 16mil layer to level 3 (x8) and used Big move brush radius for quite a few strokes and merging time was below 4 minutes.

Strokes with such a big radius like that would have generated at least 1 hour of merging time in previous way.

Huge noticable improvement.Transfer of changes done to proxy is very impressive. :good:

:unsure:

Artman, there are no transfer of changes. Editing the proxy has no effect on the main object. When you toggle the cache button the original object will be reloaded and changes to the proxy will be lost.

Artman, there are no transfer of changes. Editing the proxy has no effect on the main object. When you toggle the cache button the original object will be reloaded and changes to the proxy will be lost.

I'm having this happen too. It wasn't happening at all before for hours of testing. Now it wont work and has the above results.

Wait, am I understanding that some people are seeing changes made to the cache proxy get applied to the high res model? In all of my testing so far I've never seen that happen.

Yep, that's the idea.

It was working for me.

• Reputable Contributor

It was not working as described for me either on Win32 bit non_cuda 3.3.02. Linux version has not been updated to 3.3.02 yet...

Anyway, part of Andrew's quote a few post up is exciting news.

Quote:

"I absolutely agree that multiresolution will be more then useful. And it will be logical next step. Caching is just first step to this long-long-waiting direction.

I hope multiresolution will be there until 3.4 (but I can't promise, all depends on how successfull experiments will be): "

He mentioned that to me the other night when I got to test out the caching, you can logically see how caching is leading to multi-res. I am pretty excited about that. It should change 3DC quite a bit, at least in the way we use it for voxel sculpting.

• Reputable Contributor

I wonder if there is a way to use a variant of the Surface Freeze tool, to paint areas we know we don't plan to work on, and have that painted area merge in the background (so the user doesn't have to stop and wait), and save to cache. That way, the only thing that gets calculated when you are ready to move back to Voxel Volume, is that area you worked on.

By the way, Andrew just fixed a bug with the Split Tool (it wasn't working at all, just showing an empty volume), and he said he reloaded the build with the fix...in case anyone needs to use it.

• Contributor

I was talking about transfer time of changes done in surface mode back to voxel mode when using large brush strokes on the proxy.

Of course,getting the hires somehow displaced by the proxy is obviously the next step. :)

• Advanced Member

I thought the workflow was to edit the proxy model with big brushes that will translate to the original voxel as well. But yeah reverting to original voxel makes all edits to proxy object vanish. wierd.

• Advanced Member

I was talking about transfer time of changes done in surface mode back to voxel mode when using large brush strokes on the proxy.

Of course,getting the hires somehow displaced by the proxy is obviously the next step. :)

Well of course it's fast because it's a low res object. Switching from Surface to Voxel mode has always been fast with low res objects.

I dunno, reading some of the recent posts I'm getting the impression some people don't realize that it has always been possible to lower the resolution of the default voxel sphere.

So if anybody wants high speed shaping then just lower the resolution of the voxel space using 'Clone and Degrade' in the layer menu, then delete the original layer.

• Advanced Member

I thought the workflow was to edit the proxy model with big brushes that will translate to the original voxel as well. But yeah reverting to original voxel makes all edits to proxy object vanish. wierd.

Andrew never stated that this was the case, the purpose of the proxy is simply to conserve memory. But it's easy to see why some people are getting confused.

But it's okay, Andrew has said that he plans to make the changes to proxy transfer over.

Andrew never stated that this was the case, the purpose of the proxy is simply to conserve memory. But it's easy to see why some people are getting confused.

Well according to some people it actually was or is working like that for them so apparently it's not just confusion.

• Advanced Member

Well according to some people it actually was or is working like that for them so apparently it's not just confusion.

according to some people there are aliens visiting our planet and there's a big monster in loch ness.

:p:

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew fixed the split tool as it was not working in version 3.3.02 for windows,linux(not sure about mac) and reuploaded the file. New version when installed is 3.3.02A

The split tool now works like a charm too, no longer leaving a cap in the two separated voxel meshes. sweet... Maybe this was fixed not long ago but I had stop using the split tool.

Linux version not updated to version 3.3.02A last time I checked...

Linux build uploaded too.

Just for info: proxy changes are not transferred to original volume, but I am working on this.

But you may do it manually (approximately):

- let you are in 8X proxy mode

- do changes (additive, not subtractive)

- clone proxy

- IncRes + Smooth + IncRes 2 times (if you are in 4X proxy, do IncRes 1 time, if in 2X - don't do it second time)

- restore volume

- copy cloned volume with SHIFT over restored volume

human brains are funny. If you want it something so badly, you brains make it real. Something like that must happened for me :huh:

Where is that phone number for my doctor :rolleyes:

It wasn't just you!! It really was doing it. :shok:

• Advanced Member

Hi,I know I have allready asked this several time months ago,but Andrew,can you do something about lagging?

I have tried 3.3 ,and I find that every time I use the move brush in voxel mode,after every release of the mouse/pen at the end of a stroke,there is a freeze,a lag(some seconds!)

Keep in mind that I'm not complaining about speed,when I use the move brush if the voxel is not huge the speed is acceptable when dragging,but after every stroke I have to wait 1/2 or 3 seconds to finish the action.

There was a time(more or less 1 year and some months ago)that the problem wasn't here.

In surface mode there isn't any lag,so for now it's the only workaround(but jumping between surface to voxel is really slow).

• Advanced Member

The voxels to surface mode must be more complicated than we think.

When in surface mode, is it possible to go for retopo now? I experienced some problems in the past. I also tried to move (modify) the cashed (proxy) model, it didn't work but I'm asking too much (multires) for the moment.

Great work in last 3.3 as far as I tested it Andrew, thank you. :clapping:

The voxels to surface mode must be more complicated than we think.

When in surface mode, is it possible to go for retopo now? I experienced some problems in the past.

Yes i have noticed that you can use Surface mode in retopo now.

I also tried to move (modify) the cashed (proxy) model, it didn't work but I'm asking too much (multires) for the moment.

Great work in last 3.3 as far as I tested it Andrew, thank you. :clapping:

Read the posts above, multi-res is coming soon, Andrew has it at least partly working now.

• Reputable Contributor

I would think that you can also use a proxy layer as well to Retopologize on...and once you're done, switch to the uncached original, with all the details, to bake down your normal and displacement maps. This way you can cache everything in Voxels, while Retopologizing, and keep your resources as low as possible.