3DCoat Forums

modo 601

Sure are some sweet new features in 601, I couldn't help myself but upgrade. Some features in there allow me to actually truly cut out LW from my workflow practically entirely (volumetric lights), messiah on the other hand... I don't see that going anywhere just yet. It's still very robust and beyond fantastic for character rigging and animation. Modo still has a little room to prove in this area, not that I think it isn't good enough, it just needs some exploration before I consider replacing messiah. Besides, messiah and Modo work great together. :)

Anywho, the coolest bits are in the volumetrics and the soft bodies. I can't believe they added so much in there. It's a huge update. So much to love.

hi all, yeas modo 601 sems to be a great advance for luxology, im certainly enjoying the new tools..

does anyone know how to get zapplink working in 601... will the 501 version work?

thanks.

ps i havent tried to install anything yet, thought id would ask first...

thanks

Tony

• Advanced Member

Pretty impressive upgrade. I think it's a MUST HAVE for a Ligthwave user, as it seems to fill the gaps where LW still lags behind. As a Max user, I don't see much, if anything, that isn't already available there, but it's good to see Modo finally making huge strides toward being a full-fledged 3D Application, now.

It's volumetric rendering looks more convincing than Hypervoxels, too. Another plus for it.

I think you're missing the price point of modo compared to 3dmax. Owning a legit copy of 3dmax is huge difference to the cost of modo even on subscription. For what modo does in 601, it can fill every one man shop freelancer. There are things in AD software that most freelancers don't even use.

Its why lw was a good option for freelancers before because of the price and basic feature set. You can buy plugins to expand its features if needed when one is an advanced user.

Now modo is coming close to that point and still offering good price in a modern application.

• Advanced Member

That's a decent price, less than ZBrush even (Edit: Nope ZB is still a bit cheaper) and you get a lot more. I've only ever tried the demo and found I like the interface; well laid out and intuitive. These videos really make it look like a solid one stop shop that could meet all of an artists needs and I'm finding it hard to resist. Do I want to learn a new program though? I'm still fumbling about with 3D Coat, trying to figure out how some things work (like extracting higrez details from a voxel sculpt to my low poly cage as displacement maps).

My thoughts as well. But don't you mean APPLINK?

Zpplink is a zbrush plug for photoshop. ;)

Anyone tried?

hi all, yeas modo 601 sems to be a great advance for luxology, im certainly enjoying the new tools..

does anyone know how to get zapplink working in 601... will the 501 version work?

thanks.

ps i havent tried to install anything yet, thought id would ask first...

thanks

Tony

• Advanced Member

Good forward thinking creative update. For me Modo was all about the workflow enhancements , the little things that add up and for that I froze at version 3.

I'm delighted to see them reach so much higher in this release than previous releases.

Curious about the pose system too - especially if it's as quick to hook up as say a zsphere rig.

Tempting. Well done Luxology.

Question: did Modo ever bring their spline system forward since version 3?

I liked the idea of live splines and wonder did they progress this feature.

Other question - Modo Shader system? Is it still the same? Somehow it never gelled with me preffering Lightwave or others whilst turning to Modo for it's sub d workflow when required.

Perhaps more perseverence and the Modo shader system would have made more sense.

Also the new way of placing bones/joints is ingenius. Industry first?

Hi,

Cinema 4D got this with version R12 1 1/2 years ago. Not sure about other packages. It's really useful for rigging hands like in the modo example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

So anyone have experience with the renderpass system in modo 601? Is it as good as scenestates in 3dmax?

Also the new way of placing bones/joints is ingenius. Industry first?

Truespace had that years ago as well.

Mike