3DCoat Forums

Mr Turtle

iLegacy

Garagarape

Thx man! The mountain shadow is painted into the background. The turtle has also shadow rays from the UDK engine but in this picture they aren't visible that much.

welchs64

THX :) I already sent some of my stuff to an indi dev for free. Not the turtle but parts of my church scene. Don't have a problem with that if it helps :D

That's looking very good! May I ask how you did the background? is it a plane or a skydome?

Different. It's a SkyCUBE :D But since UDK doesn't contain a default skyCube i imported my own. Just a cube with inverted normals and scaled it up. Of course the UVs aren't optimized but i don't care because if only use UDK for the rendering. I'm not planning doing a game or something. Here is a picture of the textre:

skycube.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

In UDK, they have skydomes. Of course, you can use the skycube like you have there, but skydomes ensure they look more accurate parametrically speaking. There are many tutorials on this. I found one years ago that helped me put together a semi-procedural sky with night and day cycles. It was complex, but worth it in the end. Meanwhile, if all you're going for is a decent render, you may be better off doing it in another app. The ONLY reason I use game engines for renders is to show what the assets/environment can look like in THAT engine. Otherwise, I have more control in 3D apps such as 3ds Max, 3D Coat, Marmoset, Cheetah3D or any other app that can setup a good render. Sometimes, it's just best to put the model into photoshop and do the scene that way.