3DCoat Forums

Animation

FreezeFrame

• Advanced Member

Just wondering about using models that are not retopoed to perfection!

I used part auto-po for the mid section and hand retopoed the rest for my first character sculpt.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=421

I realized how bad the flow lines and loops are crossing weird ways from the auto-po, since I did not guide them very well with splines. 

Is this a major headache for animation/animators?

Spend hours fixing it? It is all quads.....Maybe post and try and sell on Turbosuid for cheap stating they can clean up if wanted? 

I probably won't get into weight painting, bones and animation for some time myself , so I have no clue to possible flow line problems during animation...

• Contributor

An animator would have a lot of vertices to deal with but since the model wouldn't have to mimic human motions, edge flow might not be a big issue. With a humanoid character, people are more demanding and distortions can crop up if edge flow doesn't follow muscle movement.

• Advanced Member

Thx, I was thinking somewhat like that.

I don't feel confident quite yet to take on characters with high facial requirements.

It may be a bit more to prep. Fewer poly's is simplicity!

I'll just take it as a first model and improve topology with my next model.

Auto-po can be decent, but I think there should be a cutoff point.

For, ex.. Spline loop makers, were the loop just stops without caps, I think this would solve many problems. I get some weird looping going on. 

Although I'm just getting going with auto-po maybe I will find the common issues and avoid them eventually.

• Advanced Member

Just going to paint really quick, pack with texs, high and low poly and just charge for the sculpt only if someone did want it.

It will be a good experimentation model for animation, if I ever choose to do so!

Will have to look more into retopo flow around joints, eyes, muscles etc..

The dragon model next, it should turn out a little better since I know more of the problems to watch out for..