3DCoat Forums

Painting along a poly ring as the edge or by UV Island?

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to figure the best way to paint an area that ends on a specific poly edge loop in 3D Coat?

For instance, I've got socks that need to be painted, that are connected to the pants and the shoes, all on one object layer.

What's the best way to be able to accomplish this? Somehow freeze the poly that are 'not socks' and paint away?

Is there some way to paint with poly rings as a boundary in the Paint room?

I can see that the UV is set up so that it breaks the areas up into (shoes, socks, pants). Are these called UV Islands?

Is there a way I can paint by UV islands?

Thanks!

post-2274-0-50822800-1304274687_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to figure the best way to paint an area that ends on a specific poly edge loop in 3D Coat?

For instance, I've got socks that need to be painted, that are connected to the pants and the shoes, all on one object layer.

What's the best way to be able to accomplish this? Somehow freeze the poly that are 'not socks' and paint away?

I can see that the UV is set up so that it breaks the areas up into (shoes, socks, pants). Are these called UV Islands?

Thanks!

New layer

Bucket fill in UV texture editor the areas that you want to paint - that will fill the uv shells

Freeze transparent pixels.

Paint

• Advanced Member

New layer

Bucket fill in UV texture editor the areas that you want to paint - that will fill the uv shells

Freeze transparent pixels.

Paint

Yes, texture edit or worked well for this.

Is it possible, from within the Texture Editor, to select polys by hand to be frozen, so that one can paint precisely?

• Advanced Member

Thanks!

I find the easiest way to paint individual UV islands is to go to the UV room, select the island you want to paint, press the "hide" button then press "inv. hidden". Then go back to paint rm and that island will be the only 1 you can paint on.

Have a play around in the Uv room. you can also select individual polygons if needed and hide the rest. Then go back to paint rm. When you have painted what you want and want to start on the rest of the islands / polygons either go back to Uv rm. and select "Unhide all" or go to the "Hide" tab up the top in the paint rm. and select "Unhide All".

• Advanced Member

I find the easiest way to paint individual UV islands is to go to the UV room, select the island you want to paint, press the "hide" button then press "inv. hidden". Then go back to paint rm and that island will be the only 1 you can paint on.

Have a play around in the Uv room. you can also select individual polygons if needed and hide the rest. Then go back to paint rm. When you have painted what you want and want to start on the rest of the islands / polygons either go back to Uv rm. and select "Unhide all" or go to the "Hide" tab up the top in the paint rm. and select "Unhide All".

Hey thanks for the tip. I didn't realise you could do that!