3DCoat Forums

ZBrush R6 AppLink -32 bit version only-

Denis S

• Advanced Member

I'm sure this is normal, but I often can't go back via the applink from ZB to 3D Coat, I believe due to the increased poly count. Can the applink be adjusted such that it goes to the lowest "acceptable" subdivision level or decimation, such that it will always open up in 3D Coat?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been an update for the latest version of Zbrush which is 4R5? I still can't get my retopo mesh back from 3d coat. I can send my model to be painted in 3d coat and get the paint information back but in terms of getting back my retopoed mesh, I can't at the moment. Am I doing something wrong? I read through the posts in this thread to try and solve the problem with meshes not coming back from 3d coat but nothing seems to help at all. Any idea why 3d coat won't send my mesh back to Zbrush? Maybe the files are put in the wrong place?

Not sure. All you have to do though is manually export to OBJ and then reimport manually in ZBrush. Apply your textures, etc. That should be it. Let me know if this isn't working for you.

I was hoping my retopoed mesh would be exported back to Zbrush from 3d coat like a Goz like functionality where it automatically updates the base mesh topology after doing some retopology in 3d coat. It saves me the time to actually go into the file menu, export the retopoed mesh, and give it a filename which at times can be a bit cumbersome without having to stop and create a file. Applying the textures I had no problems with so that is not an issue for me. You can drop the reference mesh and your retopo mesh in 3d coat then why not have an option or functionality to send the retopoed mesh back to Zbrush?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I thought I'd give the plugin a try since I have ZB4R6, After you unzip (do not  install) copy the the two files to

your ZBrush 4R6 /Startup/Plugs  folder and run ZB, the plugin should now show in "ZPlugin" 3DCoat.

I have not yet tried all the functions but I was able to "Drop" in a ZB model to 3DCoat.

On reflection It will be easier to let the plugin install to "ZBrush 4.0" then copy the files as above.

I unzipped then extracted the two files from the exe using 7-Zip.

Edited by JimB

• 2 months later...

Here are the 2 existing ZBrush applink files zipped up in the correct folder hierarchy for Zbrush 4R6. Choose extract files and work your way to your Zbrush install, Use Extract and Replace. For example mine is: C/ProgramFiles/Pixologic/       ...and then just unzip.

ZBrush 4R6 ZAppLink.zip

Edited by DarkEdge
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can send from ZB 4r6 to 3DC 4. Getting anything back into ZB is problematic though... normals/visible faces get inverted and it's not smart enough to automatically choose compatible image formats for textures or get them get them back into ZB properly. Ideally the applinks would automatically filter out incompatible options when sending assets back to "original application" even if that means having the user selecting what application before sending it back. I've had limited success getting models back in, but I've yet to successfully send results from using PTex back to ZB which would be very nice to be able to do since ZB is yet to adopt PTex. These apps would be very complimentary if they communicated easily. As is have to export and flip some things around to get something back into ZB. 

Then again I am not an expert and maybe I am missing a setting.  If someone else has things working it would be awesome to get a point in the right direction.

Edited by The.Great.ESCape

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At me 3D-Coat Applink install into the wrong folder!

In my "Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\" folder was create a new folder "ZBrush 4" into this was "Zstartup" and "Zplugs".

Into this folder was the plugin.

After change folder Applink Zbrush 4R7 running :-)

But only in 32 Bit :-(

At the Update Zbrush 4R7 there is a 64 Bit Version!

Is there a chance to get a 64Bit Plugin?

The Plugin is shown in ZBrush.

But I get a Error after i choose what i want to do with the model.

rkPSHAb.jpg

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to ZBrush R6 AppLink -32 bit version only-