3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Contributor

So lets keep it as it is. Not really a problem. So you have to change wideness as you're zooming. I can live with this. :drinks:

No,its the opposite I dont change radius. :D

Example:

Im working on nose,adding small lumps to the nose tip.

Now...I want to zoom out and see how the details Im adding look with the global shape of the body.

But I still want to keep sculpting on that nose tip even if zoom out...at the same detail size,

Its just to see how small details brush strokes look against the global shape design.

But I understand why you want it like zb,you work like a real sculptor.

Radius is the tool.The tool is fixed.Like real sculpture. :)

You are not the only one who prefer it like that.

• Contributor

BTW what is really the use of new 'dense quads' export? After Andrew fixes the scale problem of course. It looks nice but I miss something here.

The use is to keep sculpting on multimillion voxel sculpts directly in Zbrush or MB.

Wihtout having to wait for Unified Skin and also wait for Project All and also waiting for fixing Project All spikes(or needing to shrinkwrap a quadmesh in Blender ).

At hires levels ZB and MB does not need good meshflow to keep adding fine details.

Its a lie.

Zb and MB brushes are very powerful and only need EVEN SPACED QUADS and NO STRETCHING to add fine details.

Of course low res toplogies require good meshflow to use properly flatten,inflat and pinch brushes..but not at hires level.

If you think so,you underestimate Zb brushes. :)

So...the use of Export Dense quad mesh is to give you the possibility to directly add fine details to your voxel export without ANY remeshing or projection needed.

A true 2-steps way. 8):brush:

• Advanced Member

ZB snap-to navigation in 3DC FINALLY!!!!!!!! Thank you Andrew!!

Now to a more serious note, for me, and possibly other OSX users:

PLEASE, A MILLION TIMES PLEASE!!!, a 64bit build for OSX.

I now have a folder dedicated to 3DC objects that I CANNOT OPEN AT ALL after having saved and quit 3DC, BECAUSE the file is now to large to re-open in 32-bit OSX 3D Coat. I have a collection of 3DC sculpts that I cant finish, or even open after saving them due to the lack of 64bit OSX 3DC build. IMO this is becoming absurd!

After having been told that a 64bit build of 3DC is aimed to be released in the 1st quarter this year, I'm now feeling very frustrated that I have a collection of 3DC sculpts that I cant touch now that they've been save, and are now too large to re-open in OSX. At least create an option to degrade on open if you refuse to release the 64-bit build for us OSX users. I need access to the sculpts that I've started, and can now no longer open to continue work on.

I'm well aware that the Windows build of 3DC is the main focus for Andrew, but after waiting 9 months for the 64bit build that was already supposed to be out (after having been told personally by Andrew it would be released), give us an alternative or an option please Andrew. I know its important to spend you money on attending conventions for 3DC, and other items, but I really need to work on the many 3DC sculpts that I can no longer even open after saving and quitting 3DC.

Pardon the rant, but I just had to relegate yet another one of my sculpts to the dreaded "3DC 64bit OSX ONE DAY???" folder :-(

EDIT: yes, I have tested these files on the 64bit Windows build, and they do indeed open just fine.

• Advanced Member

OK I understand this, especially the even spaced quads and no stretching.

But new auto-retopo -with some help hm hm - provides a low poly mesh with same principals. When manually retopo, I still have in mind not to stretch quads as possible. Projecting the exported tri mesh from voxels on this results to a fine for more sculpture mesh.

I usually export a >1-2M voxel. I don't expect to save too many vox details as there aren't any. Zb is better for details anyway.

You guys know you can already lock the current brush size while zooming? I think it's been there since 3.0 came out with the new UI. Just click the little padlock icon next to the Radius slider along the top. Same goes for the Depth slider. I think it actually came from me complaining about the depth changing when you zoomed.

• Contributor

Love the new Shift Snapping Views. Much more usable. Thank you so much!! long term request.

On the Brush change re Zooming, Both clearly have there benifits. An check box would be great. I would certainly use both, as changing size with zoom is most applicable in early stages yet Locking the Brush to zoom more applicable for me when adding detail.

Big usabillity tweak Id like to see, I love the Capslock Hide reticle feature But it needs to be bound to a check box (Ideally placed in the Navigation options to the top right of the view port) NOT the capslock key, Please!!! Capslock has really detrimental effects to other applications I have running alongside 3d coat so in order to make proper use of this something needs to be done with it.

@Michallis and other ZB users, its so true that both ZB and 3dcoat compliment each other very nicely. To other non ZB users here, I dont think any bad can come from making certain features similar (Especially if they are an optional), Intergration is so important in modern workflow more could be done with the ZB control set in that respect, changing between control systems when using multi application pipeline can sometimes be very uncomfortable. Now if Andrew chooses to impliment tweaks and settings in 3d coat I can only see that this would be advantages to 3D-Coat development and intergration into current pipelines. That is purely my opinion.

• Advanced Member
You guys know you can already lock the current brush size while zooming? I think it's been there since 3.0 came out with the new UI. Just click the little padlock icon next to the Radius slider along the top. Same goes for the Depth slider. I think it actually came from me complaining about the depth changing when you zoomed.

:pardon::pardon::pardon::pardon::pardon:

You made my day, and night. Thanks so much. Now I'm happier.

• Contributor

I would just like to say yet another Thank you for all the little (in direct, Unseen) improvements that are being made here. Simple little things Like changing the names of tools to more conventional names (Pen to brush, etc). Its only small things but it shows just how much Andrew and other dev listen not only to what is being said, but how people are saying it. Its this level of intiution and devotion that makes 3d coat stand out in my eyes. :drinks:

@ Phil, Damn thats sweet How did I miss that little padlock. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

Is it possible to install 32bit windows version If 64bit version already installed on the same pc? Should I do something with license if I install 32 bit version to other folder?

One more question: If I buy an upgrade to linux version whether I lose a right to use it on Windows?

• Contributor

Is it possible to install 32bit windows version If 64bit version already installed on the same pc? Should I do something with license if I install 32 bit version to other folder?

No problem,just dont use both at same time.

Some of these, like your example, are great. Others just make no sense IMO.

I'm sorry you feel this way Phil. When a few of the larger studios start asking us for changes and ones that MAKE sense to them or anyone that has worked with a large studio, especially when it's a standardized term/name/etc., then WE the UI team are going to make that change. If you don't like that, well, I hate to say but that's just too bad. Get over it.

You've been constantly complaining about our changes, I'm tired of it Phil. Show a little respect. Thanks.

I only mentioned it in one thread before. I'm only looking out for the users. Standardized changes like Pen to Brush and typo corrections are great but some, like changing Soft Stroke to Interpolate don't seem to serve any purpose and are just confusing. Especially when all of the many tutorials out there, your own in particular, now do not make sense. I'm sorry but that's just my opinion.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm sorry you feel this way Phil. When a few of the larger studios start asking us for changes and ones that MAKE sense to them or anyone that has worked with a large studio, especially when it's a standardized term/name/etc., then WE the UI team are going to make that change. If you don't like that, well, I hate to say but that's just too bad. Get over it.

You've been constantly complaining about our changes, I'm tired of it Phil. Show a little respect. Thanks.

I noticed that the BRUSH tool in the Retopo Room, is now "BRUSHES"...why is that (plural)? Typo, maybe?

Might be not the best place to post this, but it would be nice to hear something about the future plans for version 3.5 (what these beta eventually will hold in store for us and what culminates in the next "full version") and beyond...

If this is the wrong place to post it, please move it & if it has been discussed to death already, please point me in the right direction as I obviously don't visit here often enough...

;)

Might be not the best place to post this, but it would be nice to hear something about the future plans for version 3.5 (what these beta eventually will hold in store for us and what culminates in the next "full version") and beyond...

If this is the wrong place to post it, please move it & if it has been discussed to death already, please point me in the right direction as I obviously don't visit here often enough...

;)

In my current plans for 3.5 I have 3 things:

1) Continue seed improvements.

2) Make really nice brush feeling everywhere - in paint room and voxels (and it goes very well).

3) Constantly fix any bugs and perform different little improvements.

• Reputable Contributor

In my current plans for 3.5 I have 3 things:

1) Continue seed improvements.

2) Make really nice brush feeling everywhere - in paint room and voxels (and it goes very well).

3) Constantly fix any bugs and perform different little improvements.

I recently noticed that the ERASE tool in the Paint room is not multi-threaded and can be very, very slow...unlike the regular paint and airbrush. Is that still on the slate for your multi-threading efforts? The painting speed is very good since you multi-threaded it, but the erase tool needs some of that action, too. :D

A few other questions/requests for upcoming releases:

1) Can we have the option to save a voxel layer straight to a .3b (native 3D Coat file) format from the right-click and "file" menu? That way we can quickly dump components off to individual 3D Coat files that can also be quickly re-merged at the same res and cache state that they were in, in original file. This would be especially helpful for 32bit version of 3DC or anyone using laptops.

Caching helps a good deal, but there are still times where it would be better to dump the whole layer to a .3b file

2) Could we get a toolbar icon (inside the 3DC UI) for the Applinks we may be using? That is how GoZ is accessed in ZBrush, I believe...and it's quicker to access than having to constantly go through the file menu.

3) Is there any way we could get thumbnail previews of .3b files (basically a tiny snapshot of the viewport at the point where it was last saved)? That would be SO helpful, as I save several versions of my work on any given project. It's tough to determine just what state it's in without some visual reference (thumbnail). 3ds Max has that feature and I think a lot of 3DC users would welcome that ability.

Thanks Andrew.

• Advanced Member

Cool.. :drinks:

The brush feel can be approved indeed. If I sculpt with Sculptris it all goes so smooth. It would be great to see this in 3DC as well.

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good:

Yes,Sculptris can make very shape crease,but 3dc hard do that in voxel room,I really wish Andrew have a try with Sculptris!

• Advanced Member

Hi!

I've just gave a shot 3dc beta version.

I don't know if I've get used to the soft touch in 3dc compared to Sculptris hard one,

but I found it far more better than the previous version. It is really a pleasure to sculpt with.

Thanks!

No need to make 3d-coat feel like Sculptris IMO :)

I really like Sculptris too, but I think each soft should keep its own characteristic.

Besides, isn't it comfortable to sculpt without perpetually having a look

to the tesselation density?

• Contributor

1) Can we have the option to save a voxel layer straight to a .3b (native 3D Coat file) format from the right-click and "file" menu? That way we can quickly dump components off to individual 3D Coat files that can also be quickly re-merged at the same res and cache state that they were in, in original file. This would be especially helpful for 32bit version of 3DC or anyone using laptops.

Caching helps a good deal, but there are still times where it would be better to dump the whole layer to a .3b file

Please,Yes!! :)

And also when using this on parent layer it would save the whole branch to a .3b file.

Reason for that is exactly what Don says.Sometimes file are just too heavy for just caching.

Also big advantage is when using "merge tool" with .3b file retain original scale,pos,rot and polycount.

When Exporting and reimporting other file formats you need to readjust polycount/scale all the time...and its hard when you have a lot of accessories.