3DCoat Forums

[Solved] From surface mode to Voxel

Ratchet

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I was sculpting a detailled model and i saw that switching from surface mode to voxel without sculpting anything, each time 3D coat asks more polygons when reversing back to voxels. It was 2000000 onlys, than just switching to surface and back to voxel some three times it asked me 3000000 poly, than it came to 4000000, without making anything just switching.

It is normal ?

Also switching from between voxel and surface mode and the model get rounded, so i loosed all hard surface look of the model.

What is the best practice in 3D coat to avoid polygon increase and model smoothed ?

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Malo was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Yes, because Surface Mode works with triangles in different sizes, and Voxel mode works triangles (quad based on 2 triangles) in the same size.

If you have different triangle sizes in Surface Mode, then Voxel Mode have to bring everything into the same size.

Look at the wire frame on you model in Surface Mode, then switch to Voxel Mode and take a look into the wirefrime, again.

You should see a big difference.

The basic workflow is to create in Voxel Mode you basic models and finish it in Surface Mode.

And never ever switch back to Voxelmode if you work in Surface Mode.

You loose details and sharpenes because of the recalulation.

IF it is realy neccessary to switch to Voxel Mode, then you have to increase the Poly Count dramiticly maybe 5 or 10 times over that if you where asked about the polycount suggestion.

Edited by Malo
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Malo's right.

I can only add that the thinner the surface or the harder its edges, the more voxel resolution you'll will need during conversion. I'd just ignore values the program is suggesting and use your current polycount multiplied a couple of times, like Malo suggested, unless your model is very thick, organic and still at an early low-to-medium-details stage.

An extreme example.

To convert a fairly thick, 4.8M tris character's coat from surface mode to voxels, and to try not to loose any details, I once had to set voxel polycount to over 120 million... and it still wasn't enough! :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

I thaught going to surface was to work faster and sculpt more precise things and you come back to voxel.

But that makes sense to block the shapes and details in Voxel, than switch to Surface to brings all details before retopo.

Thanks for the tips guys.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] From surface mode to Voxel