3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

This subforum covers some typical workflows in 3DCoat, and how they involved the different workspaces/toolsets in the application.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

4. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• Show the UVmap wire (Texture UV editor)
    • There is no such problem in version 2024.
    • Yeah, the only difference here is that Painter has a separate memory for brush colour, and in 3DCoat you're painting with red and green, whose rgb values get converted to a grayscale value.
    • I found myself in a bit of a bad spot. I need to symmetrize an area of my model, but found that freezing does not block unwanted asymmetrical areas I painted. These areas should stay in tact. How come Freeze maps do not work with layer symmetry? This should be a standard and would help a lot.  What do you guys and girls think?   Freeze.mp4
    • Seems to be working as expected? The mask uses grayscale input. The green you selected had a value (lightness) of .76, and partially revealed the albedo layer once you began applying it. If you want to completely unmask the albedo layer, the value needs to be 1. Just like any other software. If you paint a white mask with a value of .76 in substance painter the result is exactly the same. Apologies if I misunderstood the issue at hand. Let me know if you need assistance.
    • Press Shift+RMB in the desired location. This will attach the gizmo to Vertx, Edge or Face. Attachment is independent of preselection and selection type ( Vertx, Edge or Face)
    • Windows and Mac version both have 2024.17 version but Linux still doesn't have any update since 2024 release. I'm still working on 2024.06. Any news? Is everything ok?
    • I am sure that such a render would necessitate proper lights and cameras (with gizmos like in major 3D apps) and use it's own materials. Keep in mind, Substance Painter has iRay built-in...so, it too has a pretty nice default render, built on a previous industry standard Render (Mental Ray).
    • Could you please screen record some kind of comparison as to how this is a big benefit in another application and show where in 3DCoat, that sculpting with a triangulated mesh fails to offer this benefit? I just have a really hard time picturing how this happens to be a need in 3DCoat, because I have never felt like "Man, if only I could sculpt with quads, this would work so much better." I promise, I am not being cynical. I just need help understanding why quads is such a big need. If someone could show me, I am open to be persuaded. 
    • Hi please send a mail to support@3dcoat.com asking for this issue. Thanks
    • Great discussion, but honestly, for me, the 3DCoat render is not to bad. With 3DCoat, I tend to author my assets, model, UV, retopo, and paint. I only use the render to help give a quick preview of a raytraced render. But I don't see it as a final render. Once I get it out of 3DCoat, I'll bring it into another package adjust final material adjustments, lighting, and then add procedural elements if needed before kicking off a final render. I wouldn't want to pay more for 3DCoat to have an industry-standard render built into it, since this would also mean, there would need to be a proper lighting module and the material system would need to support that render. for example, if Renderman or Vray was to be included, then I would expect to use that renderers material system. That won't come for free and would certainly hike up the cost of 3DCoat. If 3DCoat was also an animation and rigging package then maybe, but all the renderer will be used for is single frame or turntable renders, I don't think it is quite worth it. My 2 cents anyway.
    • Using Windows 11, the theme is set on extra large, and it's still very tiny. Tried to scale with system, and it becomes overly large. Saw another post where is seemed to happen in MacOS before, but I don't see any option to scale in the theme setting in the windows version like there seem to have been added on the MacOS one.
    • Headset/Earbuds: AQIRYS ALYA 2.0 Wireless Gaming Headset - Mad Shrimps. CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: EK Water Blocks Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB Liquid Cooling System - Nikk Tech. CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: Thermalright Frozen Notte and Aqua Elite 360 White V3 Review- Strong AIOs available for less than $65 - Tom's Hardware. Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Gold 24TB HDD Review - High-Capacity Masterpiece - TweakTown. Mouse: Finalmouse UltralightX Review - TechPowerUp.
    • We need to think about this. Thank you.
    • Hello everyone, i'm a 3Dcoat 4.9.60 steam version. GL64 consumer version purchased in June 2018 at the beginning ! I have a 3D object made in 3ds max, i import into 3D coat its a medieval fanion flag. The object is made of two parts attached with their own ID. the metal bar has ID1 and the flag ID2 when i try to put two smart materials on my object, one for the metal bar and one for the flag, i get a WHITE rendering. if i want to see the flag material i have to hide the metal layer, and if i want to see the metal material i need to hide the flag... i don't know whats wrong !      
    • For those still getting this error... I had the issue where Windows would use backslash \ instead of forwardslash / So my Path was "Z:\3D_COAT_DATA\" and this one gave the error. I've then changed the slash to "Z:/3D_COAT_DATA/" and it worked. Also "Ru nas Administrator" when you do it. Hope this helps. EDIT: I've tried again and again. At this point this error message is a bug. It is just random.I thouight I had it with the back slash and forward slash but it ain't it. This software is bugged to hell.