3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

I made some steps to solve it. But we will do some Linux tests today.

Hello there, I'm planning to buy 3d coat with Christmas promo, but I have this problem under Linux as well, every 200 strokes or something, the 2s delay occurs. I don't have this in windows XP.

I have a question about licences, if I buy 3d-coat windows licence, would it be possible to use it in linux without having to rebuy it for linux ? (I won't use the software at the same time), because I would prefer to have 3d-coat in linux, but with the very annoying delay bug, I would have to buy the windows version licence...

Great software btw ! It's the best sculpting/painting software to me; I hope you will someday make icons instead of text for buttons.

Thanks.

Hello there, I'm planning to buy 3d coat with Christmas promo, but I have this problem under Linux as well, every 200 strokes or something, the 2s delay occurs. I don't have this in windows XP.

I have a question about licences, if I buy 3d-coat windows licence, would it be possible to use it in linux without having to rebuy it for linux ? (I won't use the software at the same time), because I would prefer to have 3d-coat in linux, but with the very annoying delay bug, I would have to buy the windows version licence...

Great software btw ! It's the best sculpting/painting software to me; I hope you will someday make icons instead of text for buttons.

Thanks.

Upgrade to additional OS costs 40$.

• Reputable Contributor

The linux version 64 bit non-cuda 3.7.02C Beta is still effected by the LiveClay tablet pen bug... That make testing the new LC brushes with the radius controlled by pen pressure very hard to use. A bug report already has been posted so this post is just letting you know it is still there...

The problem has been confirmed by several linux users.

Thanks for all your hard work.

I have just tried out the Linux Cuda 3-7-02C and can confirm that it still has the 2-3 second delay occurring after performing around 200 brush strokes.

T.

Hello, Tser! I am trying to reproduce the lags on my both CentOS 5 systems, but no luck. Please specify which tool are you using? Does the lag affect any tool or a particular one? Does the lag manifests in “Paint” mode too , or only in “Voxels” mode? Do you stroke with mouse or tablet - does that matter? Maybe you remember the version of 3D-Coat where the problem didn’t exist?

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, Tser! I am trying to reproduce the lags on my both CentOS 5 systems, but no luck. Please specify which tool are you using? Does the lag affect any tool or a particular one? Does the lag manifests in “Paint” mode too , or only in “Voxels” mode? Do you stroke with mouse or tablet - does that matter? Maybe you remember the version of 3D-Coat where the problem didn’t exist?

I know this is address to Tser but I get also the lag.

Linux version Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit, 3.7.02C 64 bit non-cuda

Surface mode- I work using both LiveClay and regular surface brushes. It can start when I'm using any combination of them. Remove stretching is enabled

Brushes most used: clay,rapid2, inflate clay and now generalbrush with .35 clay setting and 1.00 extude setting. Move tool is used some.

Voxel mode- I will have to test more as most of my work as been in surface mode.

Paint room. Yes, the lag happens in the paint room also.

Tablet pen or mouse is effected by the lag. I am using my tablet pen when the lag starts but it effects the mouse strokes too.

Sorry I do not remember which version it started in but it's been happening in a number of versions...

Yesterday, I went about 35 minutes before the lag started, then it lagged big time. On my computer it's does not seem brush number related.

The workaround I use is to create a new layer with no voxel model in it.

Switch that layer to surface mode.

Next toggle in and out of proxy mode on that layer

That fixes the lag...

This is the same fix you use if the lag happens in the paint room.

I keep that new layer and if the lag happens again, I toggle in and out of proxy mode on that new layer I created.

Also if you get a chance look at the tablet pen bug for LC brushes... bug report number. 0000446 . Use a brush that the radius is controlled by the tablet pen.

EDIT:

I just went back to 3DCoat that was open and the lag started after a few strokes. I had been working about 30 minutes before writing this post. I switched back to voxel mode and the lag was still present. I notice that the yellow circle and alpha shape disappears while it is lagging at the end of the stroke. Swap drive is on the same drive. Only one hard drive in the computer.

• Advanced Member

Hi there Sergyi, The 2-3 second lag after performing around 200 brush strokes has been with 3DCoat for a very long time, way before v3.3, I had it when I was using an intel machine with Mandriva, I then went to Centos 5.5 x64 and now I am on Fedora core 14 x64 with an AMD Opteron (16 core) machine with a Quadro 4000 Video card and 32GB ram, I use both Wacom Intuos 3 tablet as well as the mouse. It seems that the delay has nothing to do with the hardware or version of Linux you are running with. The delay appears after you have performed around 200 actions, whether these actions are moving vertices in the Retopo room, brush strokes in the paint room or brush strokes in the Voxel room. It is not specific on a certain tool or tool combination, it is produced by the number of actions you perform. To reproduce the delay, just open a new scene, select the large sphere in the voxel room, select the move brush and start moving parts of the sphere around, do this for around 200 actions (brush strokes), then the 2-3 second delay will suddenly strike after every new action (brush stroke). Now that there is a delay of 2-3 seconds after every brush stroke, the only way to remove the delay and get back to normal (non delay) working is to toggle the proxy mode. What I do is create a new Volume in the VoxTree, then toggle the "downgrade the volume" in this new Volume, this removes the 2-3 second delay. The strangest thing is that if I am working in the Retopo room manipulating vertices/edges or working in the UV room manipulating uv's and get the 2-3 second delay, I just go to the Voxel room and toggle the proxy mode and the delay is removed, even though I may not even have anything in the Voxel room.

I hope this can help finally sort this annoying problem out.

All the best,

T.

• Advanced Member

What are the possibilities of ramping up the blur/smooth power in the paint room? The tool seems to run out of steam at a certain point where it won't blur beyond. Just wondering if it's possible to up the melting power to get a really mega awesome painting/smoothing/blurring tool. (And yes, I have tried turning the power up past 100%)

• Advanced Member

Sergyi, do you think that the 2-3 second delay may have something to do with the undo buffer size? Is there a part of 3DC which buffers the brush strokes/actions you perform which is dispensed with when performing the "downgrade the volume" or Proxy mode?

T.

• Advanced Member

Sergyi, I also discovered that if you are using Symmetry you will get the delay in around 30% less actions, so with symmetry turned on I get the delay after around 200 actions, but with symmetry turned off I can go for nearly 300 actions before I get the 2-3 second delay.

T.

Hello, Vasci! Please, specify which version of Linux are you using? Does it have separate swap drive?

Hello,

I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 32 bits, 2x1 go DDR3 (had general stability problems with 4 sticks of ram, but I had this bug as well).

Gtx 260 796 Mo, the CUDA version is not very stable, so I use "classic" opengl version.

I have 10 Go partition swap on the same hard drive.

• Reputable Contributor

I found once I apply symmetry (retopo menu) to my retopo mesh, then it turns green and reads (perfect symmetry). Maybe Andrew will come and explain what the that new feature is telling us. Is it temporary till we apply symmetry?. A way of checking imported external meshes that might not have perfect symmetry, etc...

• Advanced Member

I just found that merging without voxelizing for retopo results to better performance in retopo room. Unfortunately, exporting at scale 1 from zbrush or blender results to a retopo mesh at ~95% of the original size. It does't happen in vox merging mode. ??? I'll test it further but it looks like a nasty bug.

• Advanced Member
Package 3D-Coat-V3-7-02C for Linux has been updated several minutes ago. Please download it again. The bug with the lag has been fixed. Thanks for your help!

Good work Sergyi, so far so good, no slow down after a few hundred brush actions.

btw, what was the cause?

t.

• Reputable Contributor

Package 3D-Coat-V3-7-02C for Linux has been updated several minutes ago. Please download it again. The bug with the lag has been fixed. Thanks for your help!

I was able to test for about 35 minutes and noticed no lag at all. Paint Room testing and longer testing in surface mode and voxel mode after Christmas...

Sergy, you seem to have squashed that bug... :yahoo:

Please I need the feedback of experienced Zbrushers here answer me this question:

I've been tinkering recently with ZB brush system and while there's a bunch of user controlled parameters (among them there are artist that will never touch/know what are those but that's other story) I cannot find the way to convert for exaple a Pich brush into a Clay brush by adjusting its parameters as someone suggested me sometime ago, so my question is if those options are present (and show me how) or the basic brush behaviour is hardcoded and you can only adjust the external modifier and parameter of the tool...?

• Contributor

Please I need the feedback of experienced Zbrushers here answer me this question:

I've been tinkering recently with ZB brush system and while there's a bunch of user controlled parameters (among them there are artist that will never touch/know what are those but that's other story) I cannot find the way to convert for exaple a Pich brush into a Clay brush by adjusting its parameters as someone suggested me sometime ago, so my question is if those options are present (and show me how) or the basic brush behaviour is hardcoded and you can only adjust the external modifier and parameter of the tool...?

The truth is there is no Universal brush in zbrush....going in that direction in 3DCoat is a big error I think because like you said,it will gives way to a lot of weird unuseful brush.

What users really asked for is possibility to save presets with distinctive UI icons and custom names ,

that can be saved externally and shared among users.

-interpolate(is presently not brush dependent),

-alphas image,

-starting depth value,

-all pen options,I

-invert tool action checkbox(which is till missing in a few brushes ex:Liveclay),

-fall off,

-Extrude direction(for concerned brushes

Now about Zb...there is this thing:the brush modifier slider.It blend between 2 brush behaviors.

This is where Andrew got it wrong I think.:in zb user can only blend 2 brushes together not more.

(you can some elastic brush properties using the Elasticity controls but thats a little more advanced...)

Here are the very specific blends:

-Clay does not seem to have a mixing behavior using brush modifier slider...maybe with Standard brush but effect is very subtle.

-Standard brush: a negative value in brush modifier slider mix with a Inflat behavior a positive value mix with a Pinch behavior.

-Pinch brush: brush modifier add a standard brush behavior either positive or negative.

-Inflat brush:no mixing avaible.

-flatten brush:It seems to mix with flatten brush (blending is very good and subtle,it allows to trim either down or fill/add while falttening)

So you see...its really mainly standard brush with 1 blended behavior,nothing like a UniversalBrush(which I think is impossible anyway).

Other Settings subpalettes that users use a lot:

-Depth (the little sphere to control indenting) and the arrow to control gravity (very useful)

-auto-masking (Backface mask is very useful to decide if you want or not in a custom brush)

-Orientation( having spinning brush is sometimes useful)

other stuff:(Interpolate vs Lazymouse):

Try a lot higher Lazyradius settings and see how brush behave good and precise...now try higher Interpolate values in 3Dcoat(20 and more) and see how the green lasso breaks when changing directions.You will see difference right away.

My personnal main issue with this in 3DCoat is how its impossible to get nice spacing of alpha images when using low values(5%-10%) and "rotate along stroke"

The result should be smooth and even (we shouldnt the see all the borders of the alpha image used)R

ight now it looks not very good.

Have fun!