3DCoat Forums

3DC -> Max Applink

• Advanced Member

Hi Im presently working on a Applink between Max and 3DC. So far i have a very simple script that exports to 3DC and loads the textures when they are done.

below is a video of it in action. (videos a bit crap, but you get the idea)

http://www.screencast.com/users/r_fletch_r/folders/Jing/media/9a8f655b-ad86-4b7c-8be6-99634f3be5a8

What i would like to ask is how people would prefer to work. Personally I was thinking of creating a system where the user sends the model, a live link is kept between 3DC and max. Everytime 3DC sends textures back they update in max and then the user presses a finalize button(in max) to close the link and replace the original textures with the edited versions.. if the link is closed before finalizing then the changes are discarded. This would allow you to send back as many times as you liked, and back out if needed.

Im also going to allow UV transfer from 3DC to Max, meaning the model and its stack will remain unchanged and the UVs will be added to the stack in a new modifier. Ill need to confirm the 'send back' function exports UVs, for some reason so far 3DC doesn't seem to be outputting a model file back. Ill check my code on this first tho as its a bit rough

post here if your think you would use this(so i can gauge interest)

• Reputable Contributor

I definitely in favor of it. I was thinking of mentioning the applink situtation over in the 3ds Max forum at CGSociety, but looks like you're way ahead of the curve on this. Thank you for your effort in this... :good:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing you are doing is a long-awaited one. Personally I was always curious why there wasn't anything like this already built in. But now that means a real breakthrough. That would be gorgeus if this applink you are writing could transfer textures between apps in *.psd format without baking layers together. Especially now when Max supports multi-layer psd textures. Generally I see it this way^

1. Max sends out an object with or without UV's.

2. 3dC accepts it and you are free either to add UV's and paint or use existing ones and paint.

3. On finishing you send out an object along with several psd's - diffuse, specular, normal and displacement for instance.

4. Max accepts the object and creates a standard mat with those psd's already in appropriate channels. All you have to do is to tweak values a bit.

If this plugin could ever see the world - for me 3dc, max and PS would be the only software in the galaxy. Others could go rest in peace. Good luck to you and your brilliant idea - looking forward to use it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

+1

I would definitely use this!

Thanks

Andrew mentioned they did some recent work on Applinks, but it seems it is still being placed in the hands of volunteers. I wish that weren't the case. Some users will have someone step up while others won't. I would if I were any kind of a programming/scripting guru, but I'm not, so I can't.

Andrew mentioned they did some recent work on Applinks, but it seems it is still being placed in the hands of volunteers. I wish that weren't the case. Some users will have someone step up while others won't. I would if I were any kind of a programming/scripting guru, but I'm not, so I can't.

soon, a little patience ... about 1 week. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. TBH when i realised how limited the old system was I lost interest in developing the link, I'm glad to see the functionality has been expanded and someone else took up the gauntlet.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...