3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat for OSX 64-bit [beta testing]

I was talking today with Sergyi. He tries to fix one crash (color picker) but it is hard because debugger crashes too and there is no helpful info to solve it. I asked him to make build today anyway. So he will do new build today regardless on will be this problem solved or not.

Andrew,

Just a heads up; this color picker bug, accessing the color picker causes a crash or lockup, is also in the Linux 3.5.21 build.

Jeff

Andrew,

Just a heads up; this color picker bug, accessing the color picker causes a crash or lockup, is also in the Linux 3.5.21 build.

Jeff

Thanks for your observation! The Linux package 3.5.21 has been updated today. Please download it again. Sorry for delay: Linux machine suddenly required maintenance.

Michalis:

You need LiveClay because it is FAST, because it consumes minimal system resources, because it serves as the basis for the most powerful polygon tools available, because it is not wasteful (like voxels) and because it will allow for the most powerful "Smooth" tool ever designed.

You also need it because it offers you the most control over your initial mesh, (number of polygons, local density of details, precise hard edged detail).

Others need it because it allows them all the power contained within 3D-Coat without having "state of the art" hardware.

Since everything ends up as polygons - why not start that way, use them in the middle of creation - and finish with them?

Greg Smith

Just asking, once more. All new OSX builds will be 64 bit ? Some confusion here. I bet they will be.

Hello, michalis! It seems like there is no need in 32-bit Mac version of 3D-Coat, because Mac OS X supports 64-bit applications by default. This is not like in Windows or Linux where the user should decide which to install. So it is planned to leave only 64-bit version for Mac OS X.

Hello, michalis! It seems like there is no need in 32-bit Mac version of 3D-Coat, because Mac OS X supports 64-bit applications by default. This is not like in Windows or Linux where the user should decide which to install. So it is planned to leave only 64-bit version for Mac OS X.

Hello to all 3D_Coat community and thanks Sergyi for bringing us 3D-Coat in 64 bits for OSX.

Works great for me so far, except for one thing (important for me), it seems that the 64 bits version doesn't recognize 3Dconnexion mouse (it worked very well in 32 bits). My graphic tablet, on the other hand, works like a charm.

Should I report it via Mantis ?

• Advanced Member

@Sergyi

Thanks so much, you're right. I never run 32 bit now. I keep it somewhere just in case. LOL

@PSmith.

Thanks, you didn't really need to write all these. Remember I was on the beta sculptris teem.

But please, a question, have you tried to bake a dynamic tessellation or LC mesh after retopo? You're facing displacementor bumps maps having ugly triangulated artifacts. Especially on less dense areas.

I asked pixo for this as well. As, after retopo, re-projection (shrinkwrapping) looks like the original tri mesh, even it's a multi res quad mesh !

Raul, Andrew, drPetter(sc), can someone give a solution on this major problem?

Except of resculpting in vox mode or zbrush, or ridiculously smoothing in paint room of course.

• Advanced Member

@Michalis, for that issue, I've had to use the triangle edgeFlow tool in MeshMixer(such a useful tool). The ability to retain shape/volume, while arranging edgeloops on a tri-based mesh has allow for good bakes, for me anyway.... any also allowed for a much easier merging of tri's to quads when needed. ITs not a great solution, but it works for me often when I have the tri-based baking issues.

• Advanced Member

@ifxs, I'm afraid I didn't make it clear, sorry. Have a look here, especially in shoulder area, were less dense faces are.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8340&view=findpost&p=64358

Any kind of smoothing will dim sharp details and you have to resculpt them after remeshing (retopo)

These are a bit out of topic I guess. Not a OSX build issue. Not even a 3dcoat only one.

• Advanced Member

I won't be the first to try it. :D

But it isn't clear to me what changed in Lion. Except a few less important things and a new code that developers have to implement so to have these goodies. But not of great importance.

If graphics support is deferent, I really don't know.

• Advanced Member

OpenGL is now v 3.2 or whatever it is in Lion. It is a little bit more than a flashy overcoat to Lion but most features are meh. It feels smoother to me and so far had no issues with 3dcoat.

Mike

Yes, I'm wondering if the beta builds are being tested on Lion and whether we should upgrade for better stability. I'm still having some issues where a force quit will cause the entire system to go down. Is Lion better at handling these crashes and freezes?

• Advanced Member
I'm still having some issues where a force quit will cause the entire system to go down

I noticed this. Force quit from right click on dock icon. Avoid activity monitor as it may crash the OS.

Testing 3d-coat in OSX Lion. It seems to be working fine. The nice thing is other 64 bit apps seem to be working a lot better too, making the system much more responsive. (late 2008 macbook pro with 6 gig of memory)

• Advanced Member

Posted this over in the regular update thread as well, but figured I'd ask here in case Mac folks are reading this instead of the other thread:

Ever since the first 64-bit beta, I've been having a problem with 3DC. It gets into this state as if the alt key is constantly held down (and yes, I've checked sticky keys, and other prefs that might cause similar effect). It doesn't always happen right away, but once it gets into this state, I can't figure out any way to get it back out again. Clicking with alt held, etc. doesn't fix it. Once in this state, I can't draw, etc. because mouse-dn dragging just rotates the view, and so forth. Has anyone else run across this problem? If so, any workarounds? It seems "new" to 64-bit 3DC, but as I've been messing around with peripherals it could as easily be an incompatibility.

• Advanced Member

Posted this over in the regular update thread as well, but figured I'd ask here in case Mac folks are reading this instead of the other thread:

Ever since the first 64-bit beta, I've been having a problem with 3DC. It gets into this state as if the alt key is constantly held down (and yes, I've checked sticky keys, and other prefs that might cause similar effect). It doesn't always happen right away, but once it gets into this state, I can't figure out any way to get it back out again. Clicking with alt held, etc. doesn't fix it. Once in this state, I can't draw, etc. because mouse-dn dragging just rotates the view, and so forth. Has anyone else run across this problem? If so, any workarounds? It seems "new" to 64-bit 3DC, but as I've been messing around with peripherals it could as easily be an incompatibility.

the opposite happened for me. Before the 64-bit build I ALWAYS had a modifier key locked down in 3DC only, and now, with the 64-bit beta, that has been remedied. Sounds like an underlying issue in 3DC. I couldnt even use it before the fix that occurred in the 64-bit builds.

OSX 10.6.8

• Advanced Member

cant wait to test out the new 3.5.23 beta release on OSX, I've been enjoying the 3.5..21 beta 64bit release for a while now, its been great overall, compared to the previous 32bit release.

Thanks Andrew & Sergey & team!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

A first for me. Any attempt to use LC freezes my computer in this new build. One stroke and that's it. Mostly in stamp mode.

Andrew has fixed stamp mode issue, he did that after releasing 3.5.23C. So it should work in next build. This issue is in Win too.

• Advanced Member

Hi PSmith. I'll have something for you when I get back to my officer tomorrow. Thanks for your response.

Here are my system spec's,

Macbook Pro4,1 - 10.6.8 - 2gb Ram - 512mb VRAM

Lorenzo:

Can you please give us your hardware specifications and system version?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Besides LC Stamp mode, the new build for OSX is awesome. I'm noticing amazing performance improvements all around. You guys are doing great work in record time.

Thanks 3DC crew!

Cheers, Andrew.

The link in this therad was updated just now, so check if you downloaded right version 3.5.23C. I was sure LC stamp should work there.

• Advanced Member

Reduce tool in live clay works like crazy.

1. the more wide it is the more it reduces (should be the opposite)

2. There should be the opposite (to subdivide) ctrl+drag.

3. Pressing ctrl+z (undo) holes remain.

post-2454-0-80569700-1313571217_thumb.jp