3DCoat Forums

Creating Multiple UV

Randy

I want to create a second UV set that has no overlaps. I can create another set buut it does not want to let me create a second set off the same mesh. Any hints ?

btw - I want two sets. One with overlapping to maximize textures size, and one with no overlapping for the Unity engine light mapper.

• Advanced Member

You can easily make multiple UV sets, when in the UV-room you can see a tab with your UV's on the top left of your screen.

When you click this you can see yout UV sets, you can even add a new UVset by pressing "add new UV set".

To put uv's on a different set, you just click an UV-island and press the "move selected faces to" button to move it over to the other UV-set.

After you're done you should press "Apply UV-set" to apply the changes.

See screenshot below for more info.

http://imageshack.us...multipleuv.jpg/

Thanx for the reply. That approach moves one UV to another UV set. What I am looking for is a way to have 2 completely different sets of UV's for the same object. I have a repeating set of UVs for bricks on a wall, for example. 0,1 repeat 10 times for all the polygons in the model. This gives me great resolution. Then I want a second set of UVs for the same object that is unique. I use this second set for Unity Game engine to apply a light map.

I use an older version of XSI and it's unwrap abilities are not as good as 3DC. What I need is a "Copy Selected Faces To" dropdown.

• Advanced Member

Hmm never tought of it like that, dont think 3DCoat has this feature..

What you could do is make the first UV-set in 3DCoat and the other in your main 3D application, since its purpose is for tiling stuff textures I should not be too much effort.

Would like to see a "Copy Selected Faces To" dropdown tough.. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanx for the reply. That approach moves one UV to another UV set. What I am looking for is a way to have 2 completely different sets of UV's for the same object. I have a repeating set of UVs for bricks on a wall, for example. 0,1 repeat 10 times for all the polygons in the model. This gives me great resolution. Then I want a second set of UVs for the same object that is unique. I use this second set for Unity Game engine to apply a light map.

I use an older version of XSI and it's unwrap abilities are not as good as 3DC. What I need is a "Copy Selected Faces To" dropdown.

You can export the model with the first UV set, then create another UV set, as you mentioned. Then you could use the Texture Baking tool to bake the textures from your current model to the previous one. I would then export the current model with it's modified UV's so you have two identical models...textured the same, except they have different UV's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-oaVeKJCQ

Also, you can save a particular UV layout and then create another, but I don't think you can use that saved layout outside of 3D Coat unless it is exported with the object.