3DCoat Forums

Custom Toolbar

JimB

• Reputable Contributor

Is there a way to build a user defined toolbar where the user can tear off frequently used tools etc and group them in a seperate toolbar? Truespace and Hexagon (probably others as well) have this option.

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of, but you can hit the SPACE bar and have the tools right under your cursor each time. As soon as you move your mouse, it disappears. It's like Maya's Hotbox or Max's quad menu's

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks AbnRanger not quite what I was looking for but good enough.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Personally, I think Andrew, at some point should hire a UI guru to redo the UI in the Nokia QT Toolkit. This way, it's not only easier for them to make changes, but the user can make much more substantial UI Modifications than is currently possible. That's what Autodesk did with Maya 2011, and it's a really nice change. Lightwave CORE is supposedly using it as well.

http://qt.nokia.com/

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/maya_2011_highlight_qt_user_interface

http://qt.nokia.com/about/news/autodeskae-mayaae-2011-qt-helps-make-the-best-even-better

• Reputable Contributor

Theres just one small thing in the Voxel menu "Adjust" there is "Hide" but no "Unhide All" we still have to use the Voxel menu at the top of the interface.

Yeah...I never use hide...it doesn't work the same way it does in ZB or MB, which allows you to save system resources by hiding. In Voxels, a hidden portion still soaks up the same amount of RAM. It's better the use the split tool to separate different parts of your model (or create layers as you go) and cache them to save RAM as well as hide them when you want to.

• Advanced Member

Yeah...I never use hide...it doesn't work the same way it does in ZB or MB, which allows you to save system resources by hiding. In Voxels, a hidden portion still soaks up the same amount of RAM. It's better the use the split tool to separate different parts of your model (or create layers as you go) and cache them to save RAM as well as hide them when you want to.

Splitting in to layers is great but sometimes a quick hide/Unhide can still be useful. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Splitting in to layers is great but sometimes a quick hide/Unhide can still be useful. :)

True...so what you can do to remedy that is to set a hotkey for that function. Hover over that command in the menu and click the END key, then set your desired hotkey. It's the same problem with Proxy Toggle and the different Multi-Res levels. I set up hotkeys for them as they are commonly used commands.

Toggle Proxy = UP Arrow Key

Proxy visualization:

2X = LEFT Arrow Key

4X = DOWN (middle) Arrow Key

8X = RIGHT Arrow Key

• Advanced Member

True...so what you can do to remedy that is to set a hotkey for that function. Hover over that command in the menu and click the END key, then set your desired hotkey. It's the same problem with Proxy Toggle and the different Multi-Res levels. I set up hotkeys for them as they are commonly used commands.

Toggle Proxy = UP Arrow Key

Proxy visualization:

2X = LEFT Arrow Key

4X = DOWN (middle) Arrow Key

8X = RIGHT Arrow Key

Thanks that works great.