3DCoat Forums

Retopo *.ply or *.obj file from Visual SfM or Meshlab

Alexx2

Hello community

I'm new in this forum and dont have a lot experience with 3D-Coat. So I'm heaving some issue with this software and I'm not sure if this software can do this task: I'm trying to import some *.ply file or *.obj file that origins from Visual SfM.

The file was generated from digital camera pictures in Visual SfM with dense reconstruction and for exporting the *.ply data I used the CMVS-tool from Yasutaka Furukawa. This file contains (in my understanding) no polygone mesh but something like colored pixels in 3D-space (maybe this is somewhat a pointcloud?). To get an idea you can see in attached screenshot.

post-35766-0-02296200-1367404798_thumb.p

I can load the generated ply file it into meshlab but since the automatic mesh generation in meshlab is for me not very satisfying I like to do the retopology by hand in 3D-Coat. So I exported the data from mehlab as *.obj file and tried to open/import it into 3D-Coat for doing retopology but when want to load the ply or the obj file a message pops up saying that there are no data in this file.

So I'd like to ask if there is a way to get those Data into 3D Coat. Maybe here is somebody that already has managed to get such data into 3D-Coat for doing a retopo-mesh including color/tecture transfer from the ply file that comes out of VisualSfM and can give me a tip what to do?

3D-Coat 3.7.01b (Cuda) on win7 X64

Thanks for help in advance

greetings from austra

Alex

Hello Andrew

I just downloaded the V4 beta and tried to import.

When I try to load the ply file just nothing happens. When I try to import the obj some status bar shows up and some data loading seems to happen but also there is no model data from meshlab visible. Just the same like in 3D-Coat V3

Maybe I do something wrong, or is there some demo mode limitation in v4 so that no clouds of point information is being displayed? Also I dont want to paint on vertex model but use the clouds of points as reference to do a Rotopoloy mesh and map color information of the cloud of points on the retopo polygones.

Is 3D-coat capable for this?

Thanks for help in advance

Greetings from austria

Alex