3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Works fine here. Any more info on what you're doing, sculpting, etc. that may help solve your crash?

I'm loading a voxel sculpt from 3.5, nothing else. I did a fresh install, after deleting old install directory.

The surface disappears under the brush first (in large square chunks), then it crashes.

*EDIT - I tried just creating a new voxel sphere, same crash...

Maybe I need to update drivers or something?

*EDIT - yes i did need to update drivers, in particular DirectX.

So if anyone else is having this problem, update your DirectX. Like it says during installation. Doh!

Wow! Awesome update Andrew,

One of the computers I run 3DC on is an HP tm2 Tablet PC, which has been fast enough for many of 3DC's features, but because it lacks CUDA (this tablet has an ATI card) it was never very practical for voxel sculpting. This latest 3DC update seems to have changed that. Voxel sculpting still isn't as fast as on a CUDA enabled desktop system, but I'm thrilled that the sculpting tools are now reasonably fast on my tm2 now and practical to use.

Of course on my workstation, everything is even better now. :)

Keep up the fantastic work!

G.

• Advanced Member

The OSX build is slower than 3.5 and once again washes textures when baking. Here we are again. I returned to the older version sorry. I also reported a bug for 3.5 and 3.5.1 . It seems nobody noticed...

• Advanced Member

The OSX build is slower than 3.5 and once again washes textures when baking. Here we are again. I returned to the older version sorry. I also reported a bug for 3.5 and 3.5.1 . It seems nobody noticed...

it's a beta build

Trust me, it is definitely noticed. I've gotten reports from other Mac users that it is running slower than normal.

device_hfsplus.pngOk, really there was many problems while making this build. I re-uploaded OSX build and this time I am sure speed should be on the very good level. But I still need some feedback to solve the issue that you mentioned.

3.5 was working just find in the paint room.

I updated to 3.5.1 and now it is very sluggish.

I went back to 3.5, but that too is sluggish now. :huh:

OSX 10.6.4

2x3 GHz Quad-Core

16 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I've recently downloaded 3.5 but it's telling me that I can't have the 30 day trial. Is this because I've downloaded 3.1 before?

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi guys,

I've recently downloaded 3.5 but it's telling me that I can't have the 30 day trial. Is this because I've downloaded 3.1 before?

Cheers,

Ricky.

Probably so....but with all the changes/new tools added since then, I think Andrew would give you another 30 day trial at this point, if you e-mail them (sales@3d-coat.com) and ask.

• Advanced Member

Probably so....but with all the changes/new tools added since then, I think Andrew would give you another 30 day trial at this point, if you e-mail them (sales@3d-coat.com) and ask.

To be honest, I think I'm going to purchase it anyway before the 15th. I might email him to ask for a small extension... the only reason being is I seem to be having issues with Painting on Voxel scuplts and no Auto-retopo menus. I'm going to have another detailed look at it tonight, might be something I'm doing wrong.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Ok, forget previous comment about not being able to find the menu. As always I rushed in and didn't really read the manual. I can now create a auto-retopo mesh from a Voxel sculpt and paint on it. Blimey, this software would have saved me sooooo much time if I'd have used it for character texturing a couple of years ago. Going to see what else I can do this evening.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

3.5.01 Cuda64 DX

Win7 64 bits - 2x Xeon5160 @ 3GHz - 32GB RAM - GTX 285 2GB VRAM

Just upgraded today from 3.5.00 and it won't load the scene I worked on the previous version. Stays blocked at 76% loading the file (not responding).

The file is huge, but there is still plenty of memory available, see screenshot below. Also as I said it's working fine on 3.5

post-497-12862630841235_thumb.jpg

Rolling back to 3.5 now :(

Franck.

ED: Forgot to mention, it's a per-pixel painting project.

Edit2: Just to confirm it does load after rolling back to 3.5.00

3.5.01 Cuda64 DX

Just upgraded today from 3.5.00 and it won't load the scene I worked on the previous version. Stays blocked at 76% loading the file (not responding).

The file is huge, but there is still plenty of memory available, see screenshot below. Also as I said it's working fine on 3.5

Franck.

Unbelievable :( if if does not work even after rolling back. Try reboot pc. Maybe it is rather PC state related than 3dc?

• Advanced Member

Unbelievable :( if if does not work even after rolling back. Try reboot pc. Maybe it is rather PC state related than 3dc?

Just reinstalling 3.5.00 and I was able to reload the project without any problem. So it is really related to this new version.

3.5.01 Cuda64 DX

Franck.

It could be a corrupted project file.

Or it could be a corrupted Options.xml file. It is located at:

C:\Users\"YOURUSERNAME"\Documents\3D-CoatV3

Just delete Options.xml and start 3DC back up, does this help?

• Advanced Member

It could be a corrupted project file.

Or it could be a corrupted Options.xml file. It is located at:

C:\Users\"YOURUSERNAME"\Documents\3D-CoatV3

Just delete Options.xml and start 3DC back up, does this help?

I tried again 3.5.01 while deleting the Options.xml file as you proposed, but the file won't load. Anyway how could it be corrupted if it does load well in 3.5 when I roll back to that version. I'd rather think memory management has changed in version 3.5.01 and has not been tested with large files yet.

Back on 3.5.00 again until this gets fixed.

• Advanced Member

Funny.. now that you mentioned this issue, I had a version of a file (2GB) that I couldn't load anymore since a couple of past revisions. I only lost 5 minutes of work so I didn't think much of it.. Today I tried loading it in the newest version and it works again! Strange.

About baking problems: Have you set the same texture page resolution fort the baking target?

• Advanced Member
About baking problems: Have you set the same texture page resolution fort the baking target?

? what is texture page resolution? Same with what? I have a dark texture on a matcap and is baked like burned, its not specularity related.

? what is texture page resolution? Same with what? I have a dark texture on a matcap and is baked like burned, its not specularity related.

Ok. I misunderstood you. I thought you have used the texture baking tool.

Updated to 3.5.02 [beta] (Win+Mac, Linux - soon)

changes:

- 2 new powerful tools in paint room (Layers menu) - Clamp depth and Copy channels. Both respect freeze. Copy channel allows to copy any channel (R,G,B,Luminosity,Alpha,Specular,Depth) to any other channel of any layer. Copying masked by freeze.

- more optimizations over speed, fixed most problems and instability issues from previous build.

- docked windows will not be lost when you are dropping new object in 3dc with drag&drop