3DCoat Forums

Glare gone, Details seen in Paint Room tutorial

• Reputable Contributor

LJB's post today in the updated's beta thread got me thinking about his problem and trying a few solutions.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4992&st=360

This method works with the default shader and his very easy to do.

1. After the model is in the paint room turn off any ambient light and put your primary light at 50 percent. Postion the primary light over the top of the model. You can try different light positions if you like.

2. Under the View menu change to low smooth shade mode.

The results are in the picture,plus a photoshop color test. I inputted the 3DCoat RGB Hex numbers for the colors into Photoshop to see how well they match without any lighting effects. I wanted to see how close 3DCoats colors with my "settings" were to colors with no lighting effects. I forget to mention that the white is 255,255.255 that is shown in the picture.

Now this might not work best in all situations but its worth a try. Still we need better ambient lighting in the paint room. It appears that the ambient lighting is tied to the spotlight which still produces a glare on the model. That is just my quess, not a fact...

I will have the voxel light settings next in a few hours,got to run...

Edit: The photoshop screen grab is not from projection,it's just a saved screen grab from 3Dcoat to test color matching. In the picture I stated "low shaded mode" It should have said "Low Smooth Shade"

2d Edit: The reason I choose to try and get the colors as close to Photoshop colors was because someone might want to work on the uv map inside photoshop without using projection mode for photoshop. That way you would not go, "Oh my god the colors are so different" Of course how you choose to light your rendering scene will be one of the factors in choosing your color palette. This method does not work in projection mode with photoshop well, the white blows out all detail inside photoshop but not 3DCoat...

post-518-12711996749342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I tested for lighting in voxel room in conjunction with the above method.

1. Using again the default shader.

2. Go back to the voxel room in low smooth shade, voxel color the same.

3. Go back to the voxel room in smooth shade mode,voxel model darker because of less lighting.

4. Go back to voxel room in smooth shade mode but adjust ambient lighting up to 20 percent, The voxel model does not have any glare but now is lighter for voxel sculpting.

Before going back to the voxel room change color to white in all three cases.

post-518-12712065241878_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I did a little more testing with 3DCoat-Photoshop projection mode (ctrl+alt+p). If you are working on medium light to darker colors it works fine.

Picture is with low smooth shade and light map layer turned off in photoshop. You can turn light map on to see your color effects but the light map comes in with smooth shade lighting even though it is low smooth shade in 3DCoat.

I have not tested Ctrl+P for projecting the uv into photoshop.

post-518-12712195947781_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

I'm working on this with Andrew we seem to have found a solution that should work and keep everybody happy.

But thanks for your analysis I was beginning to think it was just me that saw this as a problem. But the truth of the matter is the solution should be something along the lines of it should just work and we should not have to come up with specific setting solutions that have to be re-implemented each time we perform a specific task in the application.