3DCoat Forums

Bevel Tool?

TLE

• Reputable Contributor

a tool that bevel the edge? not smooth it but create a bevel along the edge.

You kind of need to plan for beveled edges (in voxels). You generally want to do all your construction and blocking out rough forms in a relatively low-med resolution. When you hit SMOOTH ALL at the bottom of the toolbar, it will give you smooth edges, and will continue to smooth with each attempt. If you don't want to smooth all, you can use the freeze tool (in Surface Mode) to protect those areas from getting smoothed. Actually you can just select the area you want to smooth (with the Freeze tool active) > hit SHIFT + CTRL + I to invert the selection > SMOOTH ALL. Instead of using the Freeze tool in Surfave mode, you could also use the HIDE tool in Voxel mode (it preserves the state of the hidden part)

You can also create a bevel (even import an .SVG or Illustrator vector shape in the E-Panel) with the Spline tool (can enable B-Splines if you want), and save it. In orthographic view, use that bevel with the CUTOFF tool (in Voxel mode), in order to trim that bevel out with relative precision.

You can also experiment with the Pose Tool. It also does a really good job creating bevels and such. It's THE most versatile tool in 3D Coat. So much you can do with it.

• Advanced Member

to bevel an straight edge, I normally use the cut tool with planar on and define the plan then cut base on that plane to create bevel for a straight edge even it take some time. I would think it would be nice to have some kind of tool that bevel the edge and make it easier instead of go around with different tool. For the curved edge. its impossible to do with the cut tool. Using smooth with masking is possible but will take long time to do so.

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor

to bevel an straight edge, I normally use the cut tool with planar on and define the plan then cut base on that plane to create bevel for a straight edge even it take some time. I would think it would be nice to have some kind of tool that bevel the edge and make it easier instead of go around with different tool. For the curved edge. its impossible to do with the cut tool. Using smooth with masking is possible but will take long time to do so.

Thanks

It won't take long if you use the Pose tool. Use "line" selection method from an orhtographic view. It will have a gradient. How much and how long is your choice. Once the selection is made, use the global scale gizmo to shrink the part you want to bevel. You can see it done early on in the following video (bevel part of the helmet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGbMy6MdnI

• Advanced Member

what i want is a tool that will bevel the edge not just straight one but cureve one as well. Aslo produce nice clean sharp. your video gaves me some idea but still doesn't help me to bevel like i want.

here is an example .

Thanks for your suggestion.

T

ps. can't load pic here :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

+1 on specialized bevel tool.

What's the easy way to do it in one click? For example a cylinder, in 3d you can just select the top poly and hit bevel and you get bevel edges and also control inset. Wonder if its possible with voxels.

• 9 months later...
  • Advanced Member

The new surface tool is awsome. however I still had hard time to bevel the edge of my model. This question I asked while back but still haven't found the solution.

Hope this time someone will give me some advise. The attached image shows what i would like to achive.

Thanks

post-1409-0-76477700-1353458721_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

The new surface tool is awsome. however I still had hard time to bevel the edge of my model. This question I asked while back but still haven't found the solution.

Hope this time someone will give me some advise. The attached image shows what i would like to achive.

Thanks

You need to use the Pose Tool for this. It's name undersells it's usefulness in the application. Maybe rename it the "Swiss Army Knife Modeling Tool," eh? :D Ok. Too long, but that is what it does. You can make a gradient selection using the Line Selection mode, in the tool. Then transform it however you wish. It will create a nice bevel.

• Advanced Member

the pose tool doesn't work. it may work for something very simple but not for complicated edges. Could you do this? merge a cylinder as a surface mode and use the cut tool and cut part of it off in an angle . now how can we bevel the edge of the area you just cut?

Thank you for trying it out.

What I wish there is a tool just to bevel the edges.