3DCoat Forums

Official and Training YouTube Channel

• Reputable Contributor

Is there any videos showing the use of the LiveClay Copy tool? I'm doing a stone foundation (in Surface mode) and it would be handy to copy sections for pasting elsewhere with out painstakingly doing them by hand.TIA

Not yet. Andrew said it's still a bit rough and unfinished

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

These are great. Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

I have one question about 3d Coat youtube videos and that is whether, in the future, artists would consider making their base sculpts available as a download so that the viewer can work along with the videos. I know there will be copyright/intellectual property issues with this but, personally, I find it much more helpful to work alongside a tutorial rather than just watching it.

Cheers.

Dougie

• Reputable Contributor

These are great. Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

I have one question about 3d Coat youtube videos and that is whether, in the future, artists would consider making their base sculpts available as a download so that the viewer can work along with the videos. I know there will be copyright/intellectual property issues with this but, personally, I find it much more helpful to work alongside a tutorial rather than just watching it.

Cheers.

Dougie

Good question. Will have to think about that. I do see some value in providing the content, and some tutorials do that, but in my opinion it would be better for the user to follow along and construct the object themselves. Because, in my view, if you hand someone a completed or nearly completed model, they can take that > embellish it a bit and add it to their demo reel. That wouldn't help them or a prospective employer/client. It's better to let the user get their hands dirty and if they build it from scratch, on their own...they've not only learned how to use the tools in 3D Coat effectively...but they have a model they can tweak further and legitimately present as their own, in their portfolio/demo reel.

• Reputable Contributor

I'll just add one thing further...in this industry, we all want to be able to get the most done in the shortest amount of time as possible. And with the least effort. However, for new/budding 3D artists, you have to resist the temptation to load up your demo reel and class projects with pre-made content. The objective is for them to learn the nuts and bolts...the "why" and the "how." It's like the Life Drawing classes one would need to take when pursuing an Animation degree. It's a lot of tedium, form/anatomy study and repetition, but it's an essential practice for an artist to develop the kind of skills needed to create believable models and animation. Skip that and it shows in one's work.

• Reputable Contributor

I want to clarify that I'm not saying others would necessarily take a pre-constructed model from a tutorial and claim it as their own. Many would not. But then again, there are many who would. In fact, I would expect to see the model end up on some site like Turbosquid, before long. I don't want to give people who would do that, the chance. I hear some guys giving tutorials on youtube bragging about using pirated software and games...so, yeah. Those kind of folks are out there.

Hi AbnRanger, thanks for your reply. Yes, I thought the issue of someone re-using a model and claiming it as their own might be an issue. Over the years I've followed a few digital tutors and Lynda.com tutorials and they supply assets for you to follow along with. Personally, I've found this way of learning to be very useful because I can compare my results directly with those of the tutor and it's easier to work out where I've been going wrong if the end results don't match. 

Maybe one solution - depending on the kind of tutorial - would be for the tutor to use or build something from the tinker package as a starting point and then use that as a base for the tutorial.

I suppose what I'm getting at is I look at some of the youtube tutorials and think, 'I'm going to have to sculpt a Dragon before I can start learning about MultiRes Decimation'. (I know I can just watch the video, but if i want to play along it's a different story).

Cheers

Dougie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...