3DCoat Forums

From Scratch II - The Proverbial Pirate

Psmith

Here it is. (Just like we advertise, in Arizona) - Another, "From Scratch" video.

This one, "The Proverbial Pirate", assumes that you have gone through the first set of "From Scratch" videos. But, you probably can follow along, even if you haven't.

This first installment covers only voxel sculpting - up to the point where it is wiser to move to the Paint Room to add the finishing, realistic touches - (which I am hesitant to provide, since I really don't like "CG Realism") - I'm really a cartoonist, at heart.

The Proverbial Pirate Part 1 - Voxel Sculpting

And now, the all new, Part 2, covering efficient use of AUTOPO and UV mapping & unwrapping:

The Proverbial Pirate Part 2 - AUTOPO & UV's

I hope you get something from it,

Greg Smith

post-962-0-65176400-1313973167_thumb.png

• Like 1

Tony:

I'm not too worried about the mouth cavity, since I don't anticipate any kind of "Fantastic Voyage"* past the uvula and onward toward the larynx, but AUTOPO will be an interesting experiment, (I always use it).

Probably, the result will need lots of adjustment and trial and error placement of guides to get an acceptable edge flow.

One thing I would like to put to the test is how much n-gons and triangles really matter - even when a head like this is morphed and animated - while being seen in close-up. Let's put this urban legend to rest, once and for all.

This is a big job - not one I should finish any time soon. Also, it's not my area of expertise.

*"Fantastic Voyage" was a movie both Tony and I are sure to remember, (being slightly aged). It represented the pinnacle of special effects during the 1960's - lots of extreme close-ups (microscopic).

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

Although not currently your "area of expertise", this project will no doubt get you a lot closer. Autopo with generous guidance may yield results perfectly useful, with edge flow and etc, for animation.

This is why I have asked repeatedly for a DOT RING feature, similar to what is available in 3ds Max. This let's you do Polygon reduction super fast...just 2-3 clicks. This way, you can cleanup Auto Retopo results rather quickly. You can see it in action at about the 1:30 mark in the following video.

Auto Retopo takes quite a bit of geometry to get a decent result, but it often leaves you with too much to use for a mesh that will be animated. So, you have decide upfront if you'll waste more time with Auto Retopo + Cleanup time or Retopo manually. A DOT RING feature can make cleanup almost a non-issue.

• Advanced Member

This is why I have asked repeatedly for a DOT RING feature, similar to what is available in 3ds Max. This let's you do Polygon reduction super fast...just 2-3 clicks. This way, you can cleanup Auto Retopo results rather quickly. You can see it in action at about the 1:30 mark in the following video.

Auto Retopo takes quite a bit of geometry to get a decent result, but it often leaves you with too much to use for a mesh that will be animated. So, you have decide upfront if you'll waste more time with Auto Retopo + Cleanup time or Retopo manually. A DOT RING feature can make cleanup almost a non-issue.

Wow! I want that Dot Ring tool! heh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...