3DCoat Forums

Create Mirrored UV's

Grandmaster B

• Advanced Member

Hi,

i almost always want to use mirrored UV maps, it gives double the texture space and is the standard for game character models. It simply is too inefficient to have a UV map that has the same texels twice...

Here is a trivial idea to implement that in 3D-Coat (the easy way).

In the "Symmetry" menu for the UV room:

Function 1: "Delete symmetry"

- Removes everything on one side of the symmetry plane. There is a difficulty when edges do not line up with the symmetry plane, these edges need to split. Maybe simply spit out a warning that UV's are beeing deleted, if necessary.

Function 2: "Create symmetry"

- Copies the mesh from one side onto the another side. This also flips normals, the result is a mirrored UV map.

Between #1 and #2 the actual UV map can be created the usual way.

What do you think about that? Does this work?

• Contributor

If open up 3D-Coat, go to the retopo room and import a model there i cannot save, undo and edit symmetry. 3D-Coat thinks it has no scene and hides the menus.

So how do you import a low-poly model for for mirrored mapping into the retopo room correctly?

Just create something in voxel room...anything....(I know its absurd :) )

(you can toggle the voxel layer visibility off if you like)

Now menus in retopo room should be back and choose "import" from the retopo menu and press Enter when your mesh is displayed.

When 3DCoat ask you if you want it to be snapped to voxel/reference answer No.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm having a similar/related problem and I need some help. I have a model i brought in from C4D exchange and it's a pair of pants for my character; I can NOT turn off symmetry in my paint. I have a really nice texture I'd like to add from photoshop but it's asymmetrical because the "fly" on the pair of jeans is offset to one side. I have no idea why but symmetry seems to have no effect. When I try and turn it off, nothing happens. Nothing at all. It's really strange. One of the pilgway techs, Andrew, was nice enough to tell me to do something like turn off texture mirroring in the UVs. I can't find that function anywhere. Can someone give me a hand? I'm really new but quite enthused about learning this.

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

I'm having a similar/related problem and I need some help. I have a model i brought in from C4D exchange and it's a pair of pants for my character; I can NOT turn off symmetry in my paint. I have a really nice texture I'd like to add from photoshop but it's asymmetrical because the "fly" on the pair of jeans is offset to one side. I have no idea why but symmetry seems to have no effect. When I try and turn it off, nothing happens. Nothing at all. It's really strange. One of the pilgway techs, Andrew, was nice enough to tell me to do something like turn off texture mirroring in the UVs. I can't find that function anywhere. Can someone give me a hand? I'm really new but quite enthused about learning this.

Thanks!

I answered this already, in the thread you started.