3DCoat Forums

Is quadrangulation any good for animating with?

stevecullum

• Advanced Member

To test the latest version of 3dc and to try and establish a work flow, I sculpted a creature. I quadranglulated and looked at the resulting mesh. It seemed to retain most of the details, so I tested it in Lightwave with some bones and it 'seems' to work ok. Has anyone else used the auto-quadrangle process and successfully rigged and animated without mesh problems?

Or would I be better off just manually doing the re-topo to ensure a good flow of geometry?

Thanks for any feedback...

post-632-1245262417_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
To test the latest version of 3dc and to try and establish a work flow, I sculpted a creature. I quadranglulated and looked at the resulting mesh. It seemed to retain most of the details, so I tested it in Lightwave with some bones and it 'seems' to work ok. Has anyone else used the auto-quadrangle process and successfully rigged and animated without mesh problems?

Or would I be better off just manually doing the re-topo to ensure a good flow of geometry?

Thanks for any feedback...

It can work ok, but I wouldn't rely on it. I think in the future it is possible that it might, but right now that's not what it's designed to do. I see it more as a way to quickly test out some painting on a WIP sculpt. Then when you are really really completed sculpting you will probably want to retopo by hand. Which is fine cuz the retopo tools in 3dC are literally 'da best' :clapping:

• Advanced Member
It can work ok, but I wouldn't rely on it. I think in the future it is possible that it might, but right now that's not what it's designed to do. I see it more as a way to quickly test out some painting on a WIP sculpt. Then when you are really really completed sculpting you will probably want to retopo by hand. Which is fine cuz the retopo tools in 3dC are literally 'da best' :clapping:

Thanks for the info - I thought that might be the case. It would be great in a future version to be able to use some kind of curve system in indicate the flow of the polys it creates. You seem to know the tools quite well - any tips on getting the most out them? :)

• Advanced Member
Thanks for the info - I thought that might be the case. It would be great in a future version to be able to use some kind of curve system in indicate the flow of the polys it creates. You seem to know the tools quite well - any tips on getting the most out them? :)

My tip is to read the manual. The idea of painting curve-guides for the quadragulation in essence is the same thing as using the normal retopo tools that are already present. They are surprisingly efficient, although one day who knows, maybe the curve-guides thing will make it into 3dCoat.

• 2 weeks later...