3DCoat Forums

Slightly uncluttering the retopology tools ;)

Dilla

• Contributor

Hopefully, you can elicit some discussion in this thread (it has moss on it) but if there is interest shown, a feature request on Mantis will stand a better chance of being seen and considered by Andrew. The idea is plausible and I wonder if it can't already be done in Retopo with Export & Import Mesh in the Command tools.

• Reputable Contributor

It's actually very similar to a request I made to Andrew some time ago. That is to have a variant of the Models pallet...to work in the Retopo room. This way you have the ability to quickly import primitives and stored (Quad-based) models. But for now, you can simply (as Carlos mentioned) click IMPORT and point to your Documents directory > 3D Coat > Vox Stamps > Objects. You will see thumbnails of the objects in the folder, just to the right of the obj file itself.

You can see how it works in the Voxel room:

• Reputable Contributor

I added a feature request to Mantis, and talked to Andrew about it. He said he could make the Models pallet accessible in the Retopo Room. Users could create a "RETOPO" folder to store Quad-based geometry/primitives, etc. If you would like to see this added, make sure to add a note to it with a "+1". He said he might be able to add some boolean functionality to it.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=881

Ah wow yes, i just tried the export/import and that works very well, i am very glad that this functionality already exists.

Thank you guys a lot for pointing that out.

I also am happy that this feature request finds so much encouragement. Thank you AbnRanger for creating the Mantis ticket.

I must correct you in one point though, the feature does not exist in Topogun, i did draw the floating panel library and the droped quad pattern in an image processing program to illustrate to the Topogun developer how i pictured it to work/look.

But the request was not picked up for Topogun.

The "Models pallet" seems to be well suited for this purpose though and i still really do think that it would add a lot of ease and simplicity to the by hand retopology process.

• Reputable Contributor

Ah wow yes, i just tried the export/import and that works very well, i am very glad that this functionality already exists.

Thank you guys a lot for pointing that out.

I also am happy that this feature request finds so much encouragement. Thank you AbnRanger for creating the Mantis ticket.

I must correct you in one point though, the feature does not exist in Topogun, i did draw the floating panel library and the droped quad pattern in an image processing program to illustrate to the Topogun developer how i pictured it to work/look.

But the request was not picked up for Topogun.

The "Models pallet" seems to be well suited for this purpose though and i still really do think that it would add a lot of ease and simplicity to the by hand retopology process.

Thanks....maybe I should have read your post a little more thoroughly, first. Ooops.:) Well, it's a good idea, nonetheless, and it gave Andrew some food for thought. I think this could come in very handy, if users want to take the provided (Voxel Starting Pont in the Splash screen) Mannequin, or Base Human, and build their own quad-based mesh...that they can store in the Model's Pallet, and re-use over and over, on different characters. Maybe separate the mesh into different sections

All they would have to do is move it into place and scale with the initial transform gizmo, turn off Snapping (on the Toolbar) while massaging the proportions into place with the Brush tool. Then Snap it

• 1 month later...

I added a feature request to Mantis, and talked to Andrew about it. He said he could make the Models pallet accessible in the Retopo Room. Users could create a "RETOPO" folder to store Quad-based geometry/primitives, etc. If you would like to see this added, make sure to add a note to it with a "+1". He said he might be able to add some boolean functionality to it.

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=881

Solved in Beta12

And UVlayouts are preserved !!

nice !

ty