3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Also noticed this problem.. I solved it by doing this:

voxel --> clean surface

followed with

voxel --> clean memory

Everything seems te work correctly for me after doing this.. :)

• Advanced Member

Also noticed this problem.. I solved it by doing this:

voxel --> clean surface

followed with

voxel --> clean memory

Everything seems te work correctly for me after doing this.. :)

That has worked in the past for me but now when I try it, it destroys my mesh.

• Advanced Member

Thats odd that it destroys the mesh.. I use it daily.. still no destroyed mesh.. :)

Just noticed that clean up memory alone also fixes this problem for me.. did not know that.. thanks!

• Advanced Member

If I remember correctly, clean surface poked holes in the mesh and clean memory turned it into abstract art, spikes everywhere. :blink:

I've also tried them individually and in combination so maybe my mesh is corrupted in some other way. But I will try again when I get home and if it still does not work I'll send the model to Andrew to look at.

• Reputable Contributor

All those cleaning steps under the voxel's menu, I found in a number of meshes produce problems in the mesh. Now not all, so it must be somehow related to the state of the mesh. Maybe a combination of using LiveClay and surface mode brushes, the routine of the cleaning steps, older files and meshes. Right now, It would take several days of testing, recording all your steps along the way to get something that Andrew could reproduce in a consistent manner because there are so many factors involved in this bug problem.

I still do not have the time yet to do it yet...

If I use them, it is at an early state of the sculpting, where I can go back to voxels to clean up any surface mode problems with the mesh...

First thing I will do is make a cube and/or cylinder. In voxels mode I will carve it, sculpt it, etc. Sometimes I will take it to surface mode and tweak it or add another primitive. When I am done, I will export the object as an OBJ and import it into zbrush where I will tweak it a little more. Then I will use the applink in Zbrush to send it back to 3D coat as a pen alpha. After adjusting depth (Usually a negative value) and leaving size at 256, I create the new pen alpha, create a new cube primitive, put the cube in surface mode, and sculpt with BuildClay using the new alpha while tweaking the rotation, spacing, etc. Usually when I am testing the alpha is when 3D coat will give me a message about stability issues giving me a chance to save before crashing. This is a stubborn bug and isn't always consistent. Even if I just import an OBJ as a pen alpha without going through Zbrush I sometimes will get the crash warning.

As a side note, I have also noticed for a while that depending on how complex your surface is, the LC CutOff tool in surface mode doesn't seem to do anything.

• Advanced Member

If I remember correctly, clean surface poked holes in the mesh and clean memory turned it into abstract art, spikes everywhere. :blink:

I've also tried them individually and in combination so maybe my mesh is corrupted in some other way. But I will try again when I get home and if it still does not work I'll send the model to Andrew to look at.

Looks like exporting the layer to an obj (without decimation) and merging back into the scene fixed it.

I have had plenty of times where my mesh will have holes and clean surface/ clean memory will only make things worse. What works for me is to either increase the resolution or take the model into then out of voxels mode before using clean surface/ memory.

• Like 1

I have the same issue.

Voxel room is flickering with fullscreen white.

Going from paint room to voxel room will crash 3D Coat systematically.

Can't use this build.

post-4867-0-22546700-1342267365_thumb.jp

Macbook pro 15 inch early 2011

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks Andrew for the linux build. I know with all the new beta features going into 3DCoat for Version 4 there will be more than the normal amount of bugs. Once all the features are added, bugs squashed and some more brush tweaking, 3DCoat Version 4 will kick the tires and light the fires... By the way the icons are looking great...

Linux 64 bit version 3.7.14B non cuda.

I got a fairly major bug in the retopo room. When moving a single vertex to snap to another vertex the vertices fail to weld. That means there is no way of connecting polygons when moving single vertices. Symmetry is not turned on. Take just two polygons and try to weld (snap) the vertices to connect them, it's a no go in the Linux version.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I have had plenty of times where my mesh will have holes and clean surface/ clean memory will only make things worse. What works for me is to either increase the resolution or take the model into then out of voxels mode before using clean surface/ memory.

Thanks for the tip, next time I'll try increasing the resolution a little.

• Contributor

3 suggestions regarding Autopo:

1)-Ignore other Strokes checkbox

(checking this would prevent user from accidently moving points or connecting to backfacing strokes when drawing strokes for Autopo)

reason for this is: when you have a lot of strokes on the model it becomes very difficult to draw new strokes without accidently affecting the other ones

(try it,you will understand immediatly)

2)-Intermediate mesh be decimated instead of Degraded (maybe it already is...I don't know :) )

3)-"Autopo for Gamemodels" :algorythm would add tris when it is necessary to folow shape instead of only quads(optional),this way it would be able to make much more accurate representation of the original hires volume.Tris works fine for game models and in most render engines and modelling packages and it is fine to work with PPP.Ptex is not super popular anyway and there is also a lot less problems using PPP normal maps than using Ptex/Microvertex displacement.Situations which require "quads only' meshes are mostly Zbrush subd reconstruction and Ptex...even Mudbox and 3Dcoat's microvertex can handle a few triangles here and there.

New method with tris would create toplogy that is usable right from the start in game engine without needing to correct edgeflow manually or fix a few accidental ngons.The "magic process" people actually think automatic retopology is.

Right now forcing only quads make it probably hard for algorytm to make very accurate shape.

This is why a lot of users still prefere to use manual retopo.

Introducing tris in the process could maybe help you create better matching Autopo results,even at lower polycount levels.

• Like 1

Updated to 3.7.15 (Win)

- you will be able to edit projection in external editor with bigger resolution than veiewport - with multiplier. The picture size will correspond to viewport size, not to whole window size as it was before.

- Inertia in srollable boxes improved

- selection/mouse over/pressing colors of buttons adjusted over the whole UI

- a bit updated icons

- crashes related to merging/splines booleans fixed

- Toggle fullscreen in View menu

- pose selection will work in LC mode well too.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Some love for the paint room please.

Reference Point - Please add centerpoint or marker when using materials for projections. If its there sorry for request. But having to constantly scale and move the material projection takes time because there's no reference point.

Per layer colors, hues, etc - Please add more functions per layer. I always change color per layer but always use fill tool which is not clean. Replace with color does not work all the time. Much easier to do photoshop way. Again if its doable now sorry if I missed it but its important for creating textures.

Ghostmode for object and materials in paint room please. We have it in voxels why not in paintroom.

post-555-0-49641900-1342419067_thumb.jpg

post-555-0-35290000-1342419385_thumb.jpg

Some love for the paint room please.

Reference Point - Please add centerpoint or marker when using materials for projections. If its there sorry for request. But having to constantly scale and move the material projection takes time because there's no reference point.

Couldn't agree more! I requested it a few times (OK more than a few. :) ), and even recorded a video using modo as point of reference:

http://www.screencast.com/t/Ku70nkVmADfD

I use the paint room a LOT and this I found as a huge weak point. I think the same goes for the 2D grid and masks, as well. It needs some kind of gizmo to make it easier to know center of the item and perhaps even to have control handles.