3DCoat Forums

Gas Mask

Deadman21

• Contributor
Hello new WIP

Thought I would see if I could model more hard surface objects using the new primitives and E panel. Much easer than I thought :)

Don't really know where this project is headed but it fun anyway.

That's looking good.Yep there's a lot of potential for doing hard surface sculpts in coat.WE need improvements on the line drawing capabilities such as being able to re-edit curves and control over depth of cut surface with curves.Booleans are great for building shapes, and stamping works good too.

P.S. I hope I never have to use one of those things, Yikes :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
+1 mini tutorial ? :D

Hi guys sorry I havent replied sooner. The mask and all the images I will up load next were created without any base mesh. They were modeled strictly in VS. Some have asked how do I get the hard edges. It quite easy actually. The Gas Mask is primarily created with the Primitives, by positioning them and ether adding them to the mesh or using a shape to Boolean out a section of the mesh. This is the case with the eyes and regulator on the mask.

Also the coolest new feature is the cloth but I have found a new way to use the cloth to create positive or negative areas on the sculpt. In the next images I create the shoulder and chest armor using this technique. I have a short video screencast demonstrating using the cloth feature this way.

Cloth as hard edge

One last way to get hard edges is to use the curves tool and us the fill option. I have found that if the area is not to big it works great.

I will be posting the images to complete this project.

• Advanced Member

This is the final or next to final image with it all together. I rigged in Carrara 7.1.1. Now I am in the process of getting just the right render. All the parts are low poly and I am using displacement maps. Hair on the model is Carrara hair.

This has been fun making (I have been playing to much Fallout 3). What I cant get over is the ease I have had. Nothing was modeled outside of 3d-coat and that just blows me away. VS sculpting is the future.

post-488-1237754335_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
What I cant get over is the ease I have had.

That's the cool thing. I don't even have to think about topology until I retopo. It truly is the 3d version of modeling clay. There is nothing like it (that I know of).