3DCoat Forums

Intious Pro Tablet

AlphaGrunt

Go to solution Solved by AlphaGrunt,

• Reputable Contributor

Yes the strokes were different than with the mouse for sure. Now I'm debating keeping the thing..do you enjoy using it? Do you think it's better than using a mouse?

You NEVER want to be using a mouse in a sculpting or texture painting app. It might be fine for modeling in a standard 3D app, where brush feel isn't needed, but it's a fish out of water as it were, in apps like PS, 3D Coat, ZBrush and Mudbox. Contact Wacom support, first. And don't forget, you can always adjust the brush pressure curves for depth & radius, by clicking on the little stylus or mouse icon next to those parameter sliders (toolbar)

• Advanced Member

i love my mouse, i got a razer naga with 19 buttons =)

But for sculpting and texture painting i use a wacom pen. Because you just can't get the same results. With a pen you can change pressure/radius on the fly, so you can paint tapering, fading strokes with a lot of control. Can't do that with a mouse.

granted, this is all more important if you are actually good at drawing. If your drawing skills are zero, a wacom will be of little help.

I use ALT+RMB to zoom. Is it not working for you, or are you trying another setup?

EDIT: When I say RMB, I have one of the buttons on my stylus set to RMB, and another set to MMB, with the nub being LMB.

Honestly I prefer the navigation and general use ability of the mouse and keyboard (hotkeys galore!) I can move the mouse a half inch and be across the screen as apposed to having to physically move the pen from one corner to the other. Plus you (or at least I) end up using the keyboard anyway because that is where all my hotkesy are. The tablet only allows for a limited number of hots :/

I tried years ago, and because of the way most of the centered the view, things generally go completely haywire. It didn't work well at all unfortunately.

RTS games on the other hand work quite well. I also play part of Aquaria with a stylus, it worked out alright. Later switched to a controller though.

• Contributor

RTS games on the other hand work quite well. I also play part of Aquaria with a stylus, it worked out alright. Later switched to a controller though.

The most exotic input device I came up with when playing Doom 1 and 2 a year ago, was my favourite Logitech Trackball M570. And it was a great experience. That's one damn good device for everything... but sculpting and painting... :)