3DCoat Forums

Creating splat maps with textures in realtime

Beeavision

Here's another question for you guys. I'm trying to texture a large game environment while trying to maintain the high resolution aspect of the texture. Since were using Unity as our game engine were limited to texture sizes up to 4096 x 4096. To avoid tiling one single texture over the entire model while having control over where certain textures go I've decided to use the splat map technique. Sometimes its also called a mixed map too. Now with that said I was curious as to whether this can be achieved in 3D Coat. I've already come acrossed a video that shows how to make one in Blender. So apparently its possible to create one outside a game engine. But I'm having a bit of trouble recreating it in 3D Coat. I'm trying to paint in realtime using up to three different textures while simultaneously creating a rgb (red, green, and blue) splat map on another channel/layer. Any ideas?

Here's the video link....

How to do real-time texture splatting in Blender with GLSL

Thanks,

Erik

Erik:

I'm not sure how the video applies to the "splat map" part of the exercise, but to do what you showed in the Blender video - that's just a matter of painting in the Paint room, first with one tiling texture -- perhaps with transparency applied near edges, and then another, and another, etc. No need for any masks or anything, since this will be exported as a single diffuse map, which Unity can import and use.

To produce "random" splats, just make one texture with all of your splat designs spaced rather far apart. When painting in 3D-Coat, even though the entire texture tiles, just keep resizing, rotating and scaling the texture with the texture placement controls - painting the splats on separate layers, for exporting separately.

I probably missed your point - but that's the best I can do on a first pass.

Edit: From a "game" perspective, and the 4k texture size limitation - I doubt any game designer resorts to 4k for the entire landscape of the entire game. He would break it down into "gameplay" areas of focus - each one area having a texture size of 4k - splat maps included.

Greg Smith