3DCoat Forums

Voxel Questions

Paint Guy

• Advanced Member

Hi, wow voxols are great. I have some questions I can't find in the manual. Thanks. :)

1) In Voxol mode I have selected something weird and now when I try and sculpt box shapes are created. What did I do wrong?

2) In Voxol mode how do I deselect a menu in the left sidebar?

3) Do I select the "+" symbol beside the "Root" layer to create a new layer? Why would you want to select the "+" beside a sublayer. Can you give me an example?

4) How do I Color an object (An eye for example) on a separate voxol layer so it's color stands out from the other objects when sculpting?

5) What's the hotkey for Symmetry on X axis?

6) What's the hotkey for Resizing the Brush Size?

Paint Guy:

More than likely, you pressed "E" and got the selection menu - and then picked the rectangle selection/drawing tool. You might also be using the "Carve" tool, which makes positive shapes in "mid-air.

But it would be best if you listed the steps you took so we can figure this out.

Using the "+" key just "nests" each sublayer beneath a "parent" layer, (if you "Transform" the parent the "child" follows, etc.). A sublayer can, then, act as a parent to another sublayer.

Pressing "B" on your keyboard opens the color palette, from which you can assign new colors to sublayers. Not all Shaders accept this color information, however - so make sure you are using ones that do, like the "Default" shader or the "Lamlight" shader.

Pressing "S" on your keyboard opens the "Symmetry" panel, where you can assign symmetry across the "X" axis.

The Brush "tip" can be resized by holding down your Right mouse button and dragging left or right. The depth or intensity of any Brush can be adjusted by holding down your Right mouse button and dragging up or down.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Hi, wow voxols are great. I have some questions I can't find in the manual. Thanks. :)

1) In Voxol mode I have selected something weird and now when I try and sculpt box shapes are created. What did I do wrong?

2) In Voxol mode how do I deselect a menu in the left sidebar?

3) Do I select the "+" symbol beside the "Root" layer to create a new layer? Why would you want to select the "+" beside a sublayer. Can you give me an example?

4) How do I Color an object (An eye for example) on a separate voxol layer so it's color stands out from the other objects when sculpting?

5) What's the hotkey for Symmetry on X axis?

6) What's the hotkey for Resizing the Brush Size?

Greg's recent series of videos "Voxels from Scratch" is a valuable resource that would explain some of these ?'s as would the other "Greg's" Ghost character tutorial series: